Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
krupp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am always doing a chamber check once a day ( no chit, guns are always loaded) but the mindset was beat into me with a stick.
Now I have never had a case separation or failure due to a dented primer from preforming chamber checks for years. But is there a chance?

I am being a worry wart or has anyone had a failure like I described....

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
BP-B2

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
..why would you have one of those just by doing a chamber check...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
….pretty sure we need a definition of "chamber check" if you're thinking that it dents the primer or can induce case separation……describe your procedure for checking the chamber…..

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, explanation needed......

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
krupp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sorry, left everyone hanging out to dry. Carry an old Glock 23
and my procedure is grasping the rear portion of the slide and pulling it back a 1/4 of an inch to check the loaded chamber.
I was told by a gunsmith that this will lead to dented primers and case separation.

News to me.

Last edited by krupp; 06/19/15.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A gunsmith may well be one of the best gunsmiths ever - and still say something occasionally bordering upon the bizarre.

Especially the old eccentric ones,

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by krupp
Sorry, left everyone hanging out to dry. Carry an old Glock 23
and my procedure is grasping the rear portion of the slide and pulling it back a 1/4 of an inch to check the loaded chamber.
I was told by a gunsmith that this will lead to dented primers and case separation.

News to me.

Find a new gunsmith.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your version of a chamber check matches mine amd i wouldnt fret it. Only concern i would have for setback is if a guy unloaded every night and reloaded by slide release daily.

A simple press check womt harm shcitt.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
First of all, it won't happen, but I change the chambered round every week. It comes out of the chamber, and goes into the range box. A fresh round is chambered and the mag topped off.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I realize this isn't relevant for everyone but having worked and trained in a "hot range" environment for over 35 years I find chamber checking (and frequent loading and unloading) to be a gratuitous practice that too often leads to mishaps.

Guns that are always under my control don't need to be repeatedly chamber checked to confirm readiness.

What I do routinely find concerning is the reality that a "pinch check" - if done incorrectly - will only reveal that a piece of brass is in the chamber, not a loaded round.

To make this point in training, I've taken an officer's gun and surreptitiously chamber loaded a piece of empty brass and then handed the gun back to the shooter. The majority retract the slide just enough to see brass and assume the gun is loaded. If you're going to do it - at least make sure you're doing it properly.

Last edited by 41magfan; 06/20/15.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Load the thing, check it, holster and go about your business. Repeatedly monkeying with it is asking for trouble and there's no point in it.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by 41magfan
....To make this point in training, I've taken an officer's gun and surreptitiously chamber loaded a piece of empty brass and then handed the gun back to the shooter. The majority retract the slide just enough to see brass and assume the gun is loaded. If you're going to do it - at least make sure you're doing it properly.

Sure, you can play those kind of reindeer games on the range. Having a spent casing in the chamber of semiauto is only going to happen in the event of a malfunction, broken extractor, etc.

A quick press-check when you are 'saddling up' is never a bad idea in my opinion.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Several of my carry pistols have a 'loaded chamber indicator'. Don't have to chamber check those. My revolvers are easy to see if they are loaded.
My 1911 and my Glock have no indicator, so I do check those from time to time. Rule of thumb is that if the pistol is loaded, the chamber is full. I hardly ever deviate from that rule.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Originally Posted by 41magfan
....To make this point in training, I've taken an officer's gun and surreptitiously chamber loaded a piece of empty brass and then handed the gun back to the shooter. The majority retract the slide just enough to see brass and assume the gun is loaded. If you're going to do it - at least make sure you're doing it properly.

Sure, you can play those kind of reindeer games on the range. Having a spent casing in the chamber of semiauto is only going to happen in the event of a malfunction, broken extractor, etc.

A quick press-check when you are 'saddling up' is never a bad idea in my opinion.

Exactly.

Has anyone ever seen a piece of brass fail to extract, but still remain perfectly chambered? I've seen them stovepipe and doublefeed, but never just stay perfectly chambered.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
642 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,603
Posts18,398,309
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.