Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I have an early Springfield 1903 that I am trying to remove the receiver sight from. Tried Kroil, several soaks, heated with propane torch and Kroil soak again. Still the screws will not budge, looking for suggestions as to what to use as far as a penetrationg oil. I plan to try a hand impact driver after soaking some more with whatever is suggested.

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
PB Blaster

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just curios gunwizard, you said you used a torch. Did you use indirect heat, as in heating a screwdriver blade on the screw?

I also use and have heard some great stories about PB blaster. Good luck and tell us how you finally get it.

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have you tried giving the screwdriver head a tap while you give it gentle pressure toward undoing it. Sometimes that will break it loose.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have used Tri-Flo/Flow for 20+yrs for everything from rust preservative to loosening frozen screws etc to sizing lube. Has Teflon in it, always did what I needed. Use it in bores on rifles I don't/won't shoot in awhile and never had one rust but then my digs aren't real humid nor where I live so rust isn't a big issue with a little common sense.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I usually use Kroil or (horrors!) WD-40 on machinery but happened on a mostly empty can of PB Blaster. Worked better than I thought it would. Can emptied before I got much experience but worth a try. Have had occasional luck with VonGruff's tap method. And on rare occasions torque in the tighten direction first to break the threads loose.

And think pure thoughts - good vibes you know.

marko - I heat wherever the torch reaches. Just want it warm enough to assist the penetrating oil to penetrate and soften any threadlocker which, in the case of a Springfield, might be linseed oil. Like to 200F or so which won't affect temper on any steel. Any steel not exotic of whatever temper can handle 400F or so without changing its structure. The hot wrench technique is to heat the hole part really hot to expand that part enough to break rust and loosen the fit a bit. For big stuff unaffected by red heat.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I rank Kroil number one closely followed by PB Blaster. Allow the Kroil to work for a few hours.

It is either a rust or thread locker issue. If you have directed the Kroil or PB Blaster to a couple of different openings to the threads and let it work a couple of hours and that didn't help, then it is most likely heavy thread locker and you will need some more heat.

If the receiver sight is an aluminum Williams, you may be dealing with oxidation of the aluminum. The only solution to that other than drilling the screws out is more heat, to the point of ruining the sight.

Also have you looked closely for any "staking" of the heads? Sometimes they disrupt the body into the screw slot or some other area of the screw head.

Again as staded earlier, try tapping a sharp rap with a screw driver bit in the screw slot, straight down after the Kroil soak/work; this will break rust free, but have about zero influence on aluminum to steel oxidation.

Just an FYI: Anti-sieze should be used on steel screws going through or into aluminum to prevent that nasty bauxite oxidation.

edited for spelling

Last edited by sbrmike; 06/24/15. Reason: spelling error

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
1/2 auto transmission fluid, 1/2 acetone. It has been proven to be the best penetrating oil of all. Far surpasses Kroil

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by saddlesore
1/2 auto transmission fluid, 1/2 acetone. It has been proven to be the best penetrating oil of all. Far surpasses Kroil

Actually the tests show it to be as good as Kroil, just far cheaper.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I have an early Springfield 1903 that I am trying to remove the receiver sight from. Tried Kroil, several soaks, heated with propane torch and Kroil soak again. Still the screws will not budge, looking for suggestions as to what to use as far as a penetrationg oil. I plan to try a hand impact driver after soaking some more with whatever is suggested.

I assume the screw holes are drilled all the way through the receiver. Remove the bolt and fill the holes with Kroil and let it soak down into the holes overnight.

If Kroil doesn't get them loose, no other oil will either. It'll be time to try mechanical means to loosen the screws.

Best of luck.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mousemilk aircraft penetrating oil and mint oil are supposed to be legendary. I use the acetone/atf with good results.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
For tough jobs, I use a mixture of Kroil oil, Type-F ATF (old school ford), Aggressor parts washer solvent, D.O.T. 3 Brake Fluid and acetone. I mix in a 125ml amber glass bottle with approximate amounts as follows: 50% Kroil, and the next remaining 3 in equal parts leaving enough room for 2-3 tablespoons of the Acetone to shake well. Then I heat my screw by using a variable wattage soldering iron and with the iron touching the screw slot and set about 15 watts to draw in the solvent then soaking overnight. If you have the opportunity, reapply solvent a few times during the soaking period and increasing wattage setting if additional heat is needed. This works very well for me on tight screws or bolts.

Last edited by Zeus77; 06/25/15. Reason: Typo; too early in AM
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Have used reverse drill bits with success....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I use and have had great success with Marine PAL penetrating oil.

Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
Gunswizard,

Were you able to get the screw out on the Springfield yet? I'm curious what ended up working for you?

Zeus

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Try paraffin. Melt it over the screw and let it cool. Then try to remove the screw.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Try paraffin. Melt it over the screw and let it cool. Then try to remove the screw.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Google Kroil vs ATF/acetone and decide for yourself.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
We use CorrosionX in our shop.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by high_country_
Mousemilk aircraft penetrating oil and mint oil are supposed to be legendary. I use the acetone/atf with good results.

BINGO, If you can still find it! very best WinPoor

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
111 members (10gaugeman, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,409 guests, and 684 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,881
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.