Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Older or new manufacturer what would you suggest?

No match type rifles but I want a tackdriver!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
GB1

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
For what I'm wanting to put into one ($250 + or - a bit) I've read some good reviews on the Ruger American. Probably order one (compact model)in the next week or so. I want one strictly for a dedicated squirrel rifle. Did some research on the Savage MKII FV-SR also. Very accurate but not to much positive being said about the stock. A bit cheaper than the Ruger.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cooper, I'd like one, but too spending for me these days. CZ's are good and some are outstanding, but you may go through one or two or three to get that outstanding one.

Used Ruger 77/22. Don't shoot it, just send it to Randy @ CPC and live happy.

For S&G's ... how do you define tackdriver?

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Winchester 52 Sporter, either an original New Haven Winchester or one of the Japanese reproductions. Remington 40x sporters are another expensive option, if you can even find one for sale.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Very, very accurate , for 250 not likly. your version of very very accurate and mine are different. start th a 40x action and build it

Last edited by ldholton; 06/23/15.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The OP didn't have a price limit that I saw. The second fellow did, but looks like he knows where he is spending his shekels 😄

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
700 is about tops for me

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
In that price range you should be looking for a 541S or 541T. For the money they are generally very accurate, however finding 5 shot magazines for them can be a problem. Should you find one be sure that it has the adjustable trigger, not all of them did.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess it depends on one's definition of a tackdriver - 1" to maybe 1 1/2" at 50 yards, or rimfire BR or Olympic standards?

A lot of .22's will group ammo they like into very small groups and those same rifles will group bad ammo - or just good ammo they don't like - into mediocre groups.

Lots and lots of mid-tier target and sporting .22 bolt action rifles were made in the 1950's and 1960's by Remington and Winchester, e.g. a Remington 513,, even some of the lesser marques like Mossberg made excellent rifles. Back then the manufacturers would often produce a sporter and a target version of the same rifle, the only difference being maybe a heavier/longer barrel and heavier position shooting stock. But the actions and barrel quality were the same. They ruled the roost for decades and a lot of them are lying around waiting to be found. They are getting spendy these days but good condition examples can still be found in the $400 range. $700 would get you a top notch specimen. Either way you can get a rifle that would cost north of $1000 if produced today. You can't hardly shoot one out and even if the crown is damaged by improper cleaning a quick touch up brings them back like new. That would be my recommendation - but then I am biased toward old walnut and steel. wink

With modern rifles Ruger 10/22's with the factory heavy barrel are real tackdrivers. The 20" barrel version is way too muzzle heavy IMO but the 16" "Tactical" model balances very well - I have one of those and it feels very lively in the hands even with the heavy profile barrel. Marlin 39's cost more but are generally very accurate although the factory triggers might not match some other rifles. Either one would fit your budget with room to spare.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
My CZ's are my most accurate .22's.. In the past I have had the Rem. 541's.. They were accurate, but so far the CZ has outshined all of them.. The 513T is the next most accurate rifle I own or have owned. But it is quite heavy compared to the CZ..

Molon Labe
IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
At $700 the only real options in a new rifle That come to My mind are a Ruger 77/22 or one of the many configurations from the CZ rimfire line, the CZ rifles give you the best bang for the buck IMO, but really nice bolt action sporters are very spendy and not getting any cheaper either, if you are also considering buying a used rifle it does open your options a little.........Good luck.....Hb

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
For $700 you can find yourself a pretty nice used anschutz 64 as well...

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd buy or build a heavy barreled Ruger 10-22 since the OP is not looking for a match grade rifle. CZ also makes some damn accurate 22lr's.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got my money's worth out of my Ruger American. It's no Annie, but at half the price including the scope, I am more than happy with it.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Like the way you roll gristle.. I'm a fan of the predators as well..
[Linked Image]

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
For $700 you can buy a very nice CZ complete with scope. I have several of the 452 and 453s but some friends with 455s have no complaints either.

I've owned seven 452s and 3s and all would shoot under MOA with "junk" bulk ammo. No other rifles I own will do that.

If you are mainly going to be shooting from the bench try and find a Varmint....not overly heavy and very accurate...

Bob

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Varmint...

[Linked Image]

Best 50 yard target I ever shot...was with a friend's 452 Varmint...inspired me to buy one...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/RJM52/22%20rifles/GB012811011.jpg[/img]

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
At $700 the only real options in a new rifle That come to My mind are a Ruger 77/22 or one of the many configurations from the CZ rimfire line, the CZ rifles give you the best bang for the buck IMO, but really nice bolt action sporters are very spendy and not getting any cheaper either, if you are also considering buying a used rifle it does open your options a little.........Good luck.....Hb

This is about right.

For the best chance at getting really fine accuracy, get a CZ. For hunting, I prefer the Ruger in stainless.

If they ever decide to make the American in stainless, it may become the best deal ever.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I would expect that a CZ would fill your requirements. Super accurate, nice styling and relatively inexpensive. I would hold out for a 453 American if going that route. That being said, don't rule out a built up 10/22. Don't need all the BS tacticool crap that everyone seems to put on em. I went with a Tony Kidd stainless barreled action with 20" tapered barrel in a cheapo Hogue stock. Looks very classy without looking like a damn transformer. I want to say I have $860 in everything not including optics. Accuracy is amazing. Not needing to come off target to cycle the action and a flush mounted 10 round magazine is huge plus IMO.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9ihgp5vDTIU

Here is a video we made for the Kidds. Check it out.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by woodson
I would expect that a CZ would fill your requirements. Super accurate, nice styling and relatively inexpensive. I would hold out for a 453 American if going that route. That being said, don't rule out a built up 10/22. Don't need all the BS tacticool crap that everyone seems to put on em. I went with a Tony Kidd stainless barreled action with 20" tapered barrel in a cheapo Hogue stock. Looks very classy without looking like a damn transformer. I want to say I have $860 in everything not including optics. Accuracy is amazing. Not needing to come off target to cycle the action and a flush mounted 10 round magazine is huge plus IMO.

X2 on the 453 American. Mine will shoot more 1/4" groups than not with good match ammo at 50 yards.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,663
Posts18,455,732
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.