Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Fotis Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Older or new manufacturer what would you suggest?

No match type rifles but I want a tackdriver!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
GB1

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
For what I'm wanting to put into one ($250 + or - a bit) I've read some good reviews on the Ruger American. Probably order one (compact model)in the next week or so. I want one strictly for a dedicated squirrel rifle. Did some research on the Savage MKII FV-SR also. Very accurate but not to much positive being said about the stock. A bit cheaper than the Ruger.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cooper, I'd like one, but too spending for me these days. CZ's are good and some are outstanding, but you may go through one or two or three to get that outstanding one.

Used Ruger 77/22. Don't shoot it, just send it to Randy @ CPC and live happy.

For S&G's ... how do you define tackdriver?

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Winchester 52 Sporter, either an original New Haven Winchester or one of the Japanese reproductions. Remington 40x sporters are another expensive option, if you can even find one for sale.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Very, very accurate , for 250 not likly. your version of very very accurate and mine are different. start th a 40x action and build it

Last edited by ldholton; 06/23/15.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The OP didn't have a price limit that I saw. The second fellow did, but looks like he knows where he is spending his shekels 😄

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
Fotis Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
700 is about tops for me

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
In that price range you should be looking for a 541S or 541T. For the money they are generally very accurate, however finding 5 shot magazines for them can be a problem. Should you find one be sure that it has the adjustable trigger, not all of them did.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess it depends on one's definition of a tackdriver - 1" to maybe 1 1/2" at 50 yards, or rimfire BR or Olympic standards?

A lot of .22's will group ammo they like into very small groups and those same rifles will group bad ammo - or just good ammo they don't like - into mediocre groups.

Lots and lots of mid-tier target and sporting .22 bolt action rifles were made in the 1950's and 1960's by Remington and Winchester, e.g. a Remington 513,, even some of the lesser marques like Mossberg made excellent rifles. Back then the manufacturers would often produce a sporter and a target version of the same rifle, the only difference being maybe a heavier/longer barrel and heavier position shooting stock. But the actions and barrel quality were the same. They ruled the roost for decades and a lot of them are lying around waiting to be found. They are getting spendy these days but good condition examples can still be found in the $400 range. $700 would get you a top notch specimen. Either way you can get a rifle that would cost north of $1000 if produced today. You can't hardly shoot one out and even if the crown is damaged by improper cleaning a quick touch up brings them back like new. That would be my recommendation - but then I am biased toward old walnut and steel. wink

With modern rifles Ruger 10/22's with the factory heavy barrel are real tackdrivers. The 20" barrel version is way too muzzle heavy IMO but the 16" "Tactical" model balances very well - I have one of those and it feels very lively in the hands even with the heavy profile barrel. Marlin 39's cost more but are generally very accurate although the factory triggers might not match some other rifles. Either one would fit your budget with room to spare.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
My CZ's are my most accurate .22's.. In the past I have had the Rem. 541's.. They were accurate, but so far the CZ has outshined all of them.. The 513T is the next most accurate rifle I own or have owned. But it is quite heavy compared to the CZ..

Molon Labe
IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
At $700 the only real options in a new rifle That come to My mind are a Ruger 77/22 or one of the many configurations from the CZ rimfire line, the CZ rifles give you the best bang for the buck IMO, but really nice bolt action sporters are very spendy and not getting any cheaper either, if you are also considering buying a used rifle it does open your options a little.........Good luck.....Hb

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
For $700 you can find yourself a pretty nice used anschutz 64 as well...

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd buy or build a heavy barreled Ruger 10-22 since the OP is not looking for a match grade rifle. CZ also makes some damn accurate 22lr's.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got my money's worth out of my Ruger American. It's no Annie, but at half the price including the scope, I am more than happy with it.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Like the way you roll gristle.. I'm a fan of the predators as well..
[Linked Image]

She's gone shootin..
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
For $700 you can buy a very nice CZ complete with scope. I have several of the 452 and 453s but some friends with 455s have no complaints either.

I've owned seven 452s and 3s and all would shoot under MOA with "junk" bulk ammo. No other rifles I own will do that.

If you are mainly going to be shooting from the bench try and find a Varmint....not overly heavy and very accurate...

Bob

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Varmint...

[Linked Image]

Best 50 yard target I ever shot...was with a friend's 452 Varmint...inspired me to buy one...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/RJM52/22%20rifles/GB012811011.jpg[/img]

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
At $700 the only real options in a new rifle That come to My mind are a Ruger 77/22 or one of the many configurations from the CZ rimfire line, the CZ rifles give you the best bang for the buck IMO, but really nice bolt action sporters are very spendy and not getting any cheaper either, if you are also considering buying a used rifle it does open your options a little.........Good luck.....Hb

This is about right.

For the best chance at getting really fine accuracy, get a CZ. For hunting, I prefer the Ruger in stainless.

If they ever decide to make the American in stainless, it may become the best deal ever.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would expect that a CZ would fill your requirements. Super accurate, nice styling and relatively inexpensive. I would hold out for a 453 American if going that route. That being said, don't rule out a built up 10/22. Don't need all the BS tacticool crap that everyone seems to put on em. I went with a Tony Kidd stainless barreled action with 20" tapered barrel in a cheapo Hogue stock. Looks very classy without looking like a damn transformer. I want to say I have $860 in everything not including optics. Accuracy is amazing. Not needing to come off target to cycle the action and a flush mounted 10 round magazine is huge plus IMO.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9ihgp5vDTIU

Here is a video we made for the Kidds. Check it out.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by woodson
I would expect that a CZ would fill your requirements. Super accurate, nice styling and relatively inexpensive. I would hold out for a 453 American if going that route. That being said, don't rule out a built up 10/22. Don't need all the BS tacticool crap that everyone seems to put on em. I went with a Tony Kidd stainless barreled action with 20" tapered barrel in a cheapo Hogue stock. Looks very classy without looking like a damn transformer. I want to say I have $860 in everything not including optics. Accuracy is amazing. Not needing to come off target to cycle the action and a flush mounted 10 round magazine is huge plus IMO.

X2 on the 453 American. Mine will shoot more 1/4" groups than not with good match ammo at 50 yards.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If I wanted a very, very accurate 22LR I'd buy an Anschutz 54 and a McMillan stock.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by deflave
If I wanted a very, very accurate 22LR I'd buy an Anschutz 54 and a McMillan stock.

Travis

Me too,and all day long if I could find them for $700.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
savage mk2 with a 20 inch bull barrel and norma match-22 ammo
10 shot 1/2 inch groups at 50yds all day long
got a sightron s1h 3-9x40 on it
centerfire hunting scope
not a fancy fine reticle target scope at all(which I have been thinking about at times)
have maybe a total of 350 into the rifle
225 for the rifle and 100 for the scope(which came off my muzzle loader) and a set of cheap leupold rifleman rings

I have yet to shoot rws r50 or r100
but the norma tac 22 and the match 22 are the rws target rifle and rifle match rounds
lots of ammo made by ruag group in Germany is very accurate stuff and they make ammo for a bunch of different companies and brands
my limit for a box of ammo is about 8.50-10.00 for "top shelf stuff"
if you spend more the groups get smaller........
put about 10-12 ounces of fishing sinkers stuffed in walmart bags in the buttstock if you get a plastic stocked one for it to settle in better shooting off a bench
and a better center of gravity carrying while hunting

that's your less than 250.00 dollar rifle that will run with the "big dogs"

fire one fouler before shooting a group

been proved to print up and to the right between 3/4ths of inch to 1.5 inch on that clean shot depending on the ammo
on 2 mk2,s with the same ammo at numerous range sessions

just saying.......................................

Last edited by renegade50; 06/24/15.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
In addition to the above excellent suggestions, I would add the target rifles of yore. A BSA Martini M12, 12/15, or 15 can be had in that price range and you would find accuracy to be better than most of the targets pictured above. One can also find an old 20's-30's vintage M52A Winchester for that kind of money, albeit probably in need of cosmetic renovation, that would offer a level of accuracy bettered by few modern offerings. Both of these suggestions are a tad weighty, but a little customization can bring them into the realm of all day carry-ability.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 06/24/15.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whilst over the $700 limit ... I have been looking at Browning 52's. I think they are some handsome rifles. Be a rifle I'd really like to have ... but there are many many other rifles in front of this need wink and with their prices still going up, it may be awhile.

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Travis

I missed the $700 part.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Travis is right on the 54. Just a little more expensive. I have a couple on the 64 action that you can find used under 700. If you look. Not quite as accurate as the 54's but easier to carry in the field. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Travis

I missed the $700 part.

Travis

Well,at least you know what's accurate.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anschutz all the way, baby. I've had Coopers and Win 52's and still have a bunch of lower end rifles, which I really enjoy for plinking and ventilating various vermin. But the Annie's I have are an order of magnitude above the rest with regards to accuracy. $700 probably won't get you one, but save your money for awhile - it's worth the wait.

Regards,

Tom
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C

Travis

Flave that's crazy talk.... [Linked Image]

She's gone shootin..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That looks an awful lot like Annie 54. I have a 201 Mauser and a Kleinguenther k22 that shoots real well. But they also exceed the 700.00 limit. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Lots out there if you go used, Remington's Winchesters (beat up) Some Mossberg's can be exceptional. I owned a BSA Martini Model 12, it would outshoot most anything. They are in your price range as well. Sako is another but you have to be lucky at your price. Annie's are without a doubt good to good but again money. The CZ's can be phenomenal, I now have a 452 Silhouette in a Boyds stock and it will shoot 1/4" at 50 more often than not. The 10/22 can be anything you can afford to build.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Certifiable

Flave that's crazy talk....

You're a dirty pirate hooker for buying that rifle.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Flave that's crazy talk....

You're a dirty pirate hooker for buying that rifle.

Travis

I imagine there could be worse things .... smile ... nice looking rig

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks Av... It works well. I planned on willing it to mini-flave but his dad maintains a strictly CZ household..

She's gone shootin..
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by tominboise
Anschutz all the way, baby. I've had Coopers and Win 52's and still have a bunch of lower end rifles, which I really enjoy for plinking and ventilating various vermin. But the Annie's I have are an order of magnitude above the rest with regards to accuracy. $700 probably won't get you one, but save your money for awhile - it's worth the wait.

The Cooper has a 1/4" at 50 yard guarantee. I dont know anyone else with such a guarantee. Correct me if I am wrong on Cooper or anyone else. I dont have a Cooper, but; I wish I did.

I do have a 64 type Anschutz and it wont eject empties with a scope mounted. This is apparently an on going long term problem with both 54 and 64 series gun "IF" you use a scope. The customer service dept can fix. Unbelievable for $$$ to have this a routine issue. NIB guns. And, yes, I understand the 1416 is less than cost than a Cooper. If I had that scratch I would itch a Cooper over any 54 Annie. For the looks, guarantee and balanced carry. And they work. Heck everybody else can build a 22 the load, shoots and ejects.

My Anschutz 1416 and CZ 453 are both shooting about the same, sub 0.5 but not 0.25 at 50 for 5 shots. Real numbers, not a cliche. I am still playing with both. I think for a sporter/field gun the Annie is way over rated. They are on the heavy side. The CZ American handles better, shoots the same. The 1416 has a better fit & finish and better trigger. I have to tip it sideways to dump the empties. Ridiculous! Cool sounding name though.

For my 4c. To carry all day and hunt, the Ruger American. For combined range and field, under $700 the old CZ 453 or 452 American. For the big money, the Cooper. For Olympic shooting a full blown custom Anschutz probably makes good sense.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Since we are discussing rifles way over the OP's budget, how about a Sako Finnfire II / Quad.....I have owned several of these and they were all very accurate though over budget just like many of the other rifles mentioned.......If money were no object I would buy a Cooper 57 and forget about it, Annie's are accurate and have many fans but they are too unreliable for My taste.........Hb

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
[Linked Image]

You wanna buy you a Browning A Bolt. Full sized .22LR, mimics a centerfire. Amazing accuracy, smooth, and good looking.

[Linked Image]

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice looking rifle

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Winchester 52 Sporter, either an original New Haven Winchester or one of the Japanese reproductions. Remington 40x sporters are another expensive option, if you can even find one for sale.

The Winchester 52 B Sporter in the Japanese reproduction is one tack driving 22, if you can find the ammo it likes. The cost will not be anywhere near the originals.

Steve

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For the 700 range I would build a 10/22. Kidd barrel and trigger kit, CPC bolt in a quality handle, Boyds is alot for the coin. Should run with any bolt gun in that price. Here is one I just did and Im not sure I have 700 in it. Gun shoots 1/2 inch at 50 with all but the worse ammo.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like the way you roll gristle.. I'm a fan of the predators as well..
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm enjoying mine so far. Certain loads have shown to be well under an inch at 50 yards with some approaching 1/2". I think it would do even better with a scope with a 50 yd parallax setting.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Anschutz 54 (Model 1422) on the left

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I filled that void in my safe with this Anschutz Savage M184 this spring ($450 for the rifle). It has a Nikon 3-9 EFR scope. Worked the trigger over like the guy and Youtube and wow. I did not know a .22 could be this accurate. I have shot lots of 1/2" or less groups at 50 yards and if they are all not into one hole at 25 then the wind is blowing. Great gun for my needs - accurate as can be and still light enough to use as a hunting gun.
[Linked Image]

Slightly better than average 50 yard group w/ Thunderbolts.

[Linked Image]

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No one has mentioned Kimber. I have a Kimber (Oregon) that with the right ammo will do 1/2" at 50 yds. And it stays at 3/4" or less with federal or winchester hunting ammo. My CZ is prefers Eley to get near 1/2"

Another one to mention is the Remington 37, however any purchase for less than $700 might lead to theft charges.

Consider buying one of the .22's that have been mentioned as good shooters. As someone mentioned, few are shot out, but the crowns may need touch up. A good cleaning and even some of the bargain basement rifles shoot surprisingly well. So, start looking, and enjoy the hunt!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with forpest, be hard to outrun a Kimber shootin Wolf MT.

Course I dont think you will make the 700 mark with glass

Last edited by passport; 06/25/15.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a couple of 22 LR's that are respectable with the right ammunition.

Sako P94S Finnfire
CZ M452 "Super Brno 2500"
Kimber "Hunter"

SC

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have two Kimber Hunters. Ones NIB, but the other will put CCI Mini Mags into a dime at 50 yards.

Why is it called a double u, should'nt it be called a double v?
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I have 4 kimber of NY rifles 2 coopers a tricked out 10/22, a 40X, and a 52D, All shoot sub 1 in. groups at 100yds. but 2 of the kimbers are the best of the group.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kimber Hunter shoots Win PP 40gr. very well and believe or not also shoots the old CCI Blazer 40 gr RN as well.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Fotis:

With a little luck, the Rem. M504 could qualify as a suitable candidate. Their poor reputation means that they are usually available well under your limit. They all MUST be bedded and some will need to be re-barrelled, but you can't beat the excellent trigger and the classic ergonomics. I got lucky and mine shoots .4's (at 50) out of the box w/ bulk Win. HP's.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
RAR Predator, Redfield 4-12x40 change the parallax to 50 yds yourself, money left from your $700 for 4 bricks of CCI standard velocity from Palmetto State Armory. Scrub with J&B when you get it and you will be shooting under a half inch at 50 yds within the first two bricks.
Worked for me, YMMV.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fotis

It's always interesting to me how wildly .22 rimfire vary with the ammo you feed them. I have fed very high-end rimfires (Cooper and Kimber) with ammo they don't like and low-end rimfires (10/22 and CZ) with they love and the margin of error shrinks a lot.

You feed a high-end rimfire what it likes and it's a pleasure. I recently tried some of the Norma tac-22 through one of my Coopers and it was amazing.

I suppose that's the reason that I must have 20 different 50 round boxes in the drawer for testing!

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Pugs, only 20? You're slackin' man.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by navlav8r

I'm being conservative. You never know in these days of rimfire shortages who might target me for part of a box of Ecuadorian target rimfire that is only sold in export in lower Elbonia!

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by navlav8r

I'm being conservative. You never know in these days of rimfire shortages who might target me for part of a box of Ecuadorian target rimfire that is only sold in export in lower Elbonia!

I wish I had known you had some of that before I paid a fortune for my last box of 50! grin

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Remington 513 Sporter.

Get a grooved one if you can find it or just buy one that someone has already drilled and tapped. One sold recently on Gun Broker for under $600 that had been drilled and tapped for a Redfield Jr. mount with old square edged Redfield rings. I can't remember what the scope was but it was 1" vintage. It was quite the "bargain" and I have no doubt that it would not "shoot" as well!!!

Like the Browning A-bolt, the 513 Sporter is full-sized and really fills your hands. Add 1940's-1950's Remington American-made quality and you have a nice piece you can pass on to your heirs when you are done enjoying it.

They only made ~13,000 of this variant so they make pretty good investments as well. They just seem to keep going up in value.

Win, win, win!!!

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I picked this up for $450, it looked almost unfired. I'm a 'vintage' individual and my eyesight is not what it used to be (amongst other functions). I shoot better groups with the peep sights on this than most of my others with optics.
[Linked Image]
This is at 25 yards.
[Linked Image]
And this is at 50 yards.
[Linked Image]

Rich

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
With modern rifles Ruger 10/22's with the factory heavy barrel are real tackdrivers. The 20" barrel version is way too muzzle heavy IMO but the 16" "Tactical" model balances very well - I have one of those and it feels very lively in the hands even with the heavy profile barrel.

I have a 10-22 Target model that I had cut to 16". It is bone stock other than a synthetic recoil buffer.

The gun has always liked CCI Velocitors. I haven't shot it for groups, but on Sunday I was getting 100% hits on a 3" steel gong at 100 yards and routine hits on a 6" gong at 200 yards with a light breeze

Scope is a Leupold 4x33 with heavy duplex reticle and M1 turret, so I'd love to know what it would do with a scope more suited to precision target shooting.

The gun is zeroed at 50 and I dial 4 MOA at 100 and 16 at 200

It was fun

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Fotis

Older, predecessor of the ZKM 452 and CZ 452/453
BRNO Model 1 - very nice sporter from the late '40s and 50's
mine have proven themselves very effective on gophers.

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I picked up a Winchester M/52 pre A with a standard weight barrel that the previous owner had shortened to 22". In addition to shortening the barrel the stock has been trimmed down into a sporter configuration and nicely checkered. It balances very nicely with the 22" barrel and the standard weight barrel has a lot more weight than original 52 sporters. I prefer this rifle over my original 52 sporters, A and pre A rifles can be found for reasonable prices as they are not favored by target shooters or collectors.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only one mention of the Savage Mark 2 series. I have two. Many of my buds have them. They are just silly accurate. Aesthetically they leave a good bit to be desired, but if it's punching ragged holes that tickles your fancy, then shell out the $225 and let the giggling begin.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFV

They are available in some serious target models too.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Only one mention of the Savage Mark 2 series. I have two. Many of my buds have them. They are just silly accurate. Aesthetically they leave a good bit to be desired, but if it's punching ragged holes that tickles your fancy, then shell out the $225 and let the giggling begin.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFV

They are available in some serious target models too.

aint no way a mark2 can run with the "big dogs" crazy laugh laugh laugh
you gotta spend way more money for street cred man whistle

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a Kimber Classic that is damn accurate

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
For lower budget - CZ 452 but plan on doing some trigger work and a bedding job, it will group with many higher dollar rifles

For a mid-range budget - Remington 541S or 541T sporter, but be sure to get one with the adjustable trigger - not all of them had one. They too will more than likely need a bedding job to perform their best. Also magazines are becoming diffficult to find and a bit pricey.

For upper-end budget - Cooper 57M or Anschutz 1700 series. With some searching you can still stumble across them in $1200 - $1500 range.

I own or have owned a few of all mentioned but none have made me smile as much my Cooper 57m's do.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I own 2 1422 (54 action Anschutz sporters). Have owned a CZ 455 and two 541's. The 1422's grouped much better than the others with fancy ammo. Cheap ammo was a "crap shoot" with all of these rifles, including the Annies. Had opposite result with 17hmr's. My CZ 452 outshot 2 different Anschutz 17's that I have owned. I have never owned a Cooper but would expect them to shoot with the Annies.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by bonefish
I own 2 1422 (54 action Anschutz sporters). Have owned a CZ 455 and two 541's. The 1422's grouped much better than the others with fancy ammo. Cheap ammo was a "crap shoot" with all of these rifles, including the Annies. Had opposite result with 17hmr's. My CZ 452 outshot 2 different Anschutz 17's that I have owned. I have never owned a Cooper but would expect them to shoot with the Annies.

Some of those 1422s have a nice feel to them, congratulations. I particularly like the run Anschutz made with the medium weight barrels.

You are right, the Ccoopers can be very accurate as they apparently really know how to install a barrel. However, their trigger design leaves much to be desired.

I prefer using one of the match Anschutz actions and installing a high quality custom barrel, but I am curious about the custom actions. Does anyone here shoot a Stiller or Hall actioned rifle? I understand that there are a few custom triggers available now that rival the Anschutz 5018.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by drover
For lower budget - CZ 452 but plan on doing some trigger work and a bedding job, it will group with many higher dollar rifles

For a mid-range budget - Remington 541S or 541T sporter, but be sure to get one with the adjustable trigger - not all of them had one. They too will more than likely need a bedding job to perform their best. Also magazines are becoming diffficult to find and a bit pricey.

For upper-end budget - Cooper 57M or Anschutz 1700 series. With some searching you can still stumble across them in $1200 - $1500 range.

I own or have owned a few of all mentioned but none have made me smile as much my Cooper 57m's do.

drover

This sums it up well for me. I had a CZ 452, 77/22 Target and a Kimber Classic at different times in the past. All would average around 5/8" at 50 yds with their preferred ammo. I currently have a couple of Rem 541T's I've picked up used over the last couple of years. One is a heavy barrel worked over by Brian Voelker and the other is an unaltered sporter barrel. I haven't worked with them enough yet to say, but am developing the feeling they will outshoot the others I've had. Both have shot 50 yd groups well under 1/2" - I need to shoot them more to determine if that is repeatable over time.

That said, I like the idea of a tricked out 10/22 - Ruger's 10 round rotary magazines kick ass in the gopher killing fields...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by RexM
You are right, the Coopers can be very accurate as they apparently really know how to install a barrel. However, their trigger design leaves much to be desired.

I prefer using one of the match Anschutz actions and installing a high quality custom barrel, but I am curious about the custom actions. Does anyone here shoot a Stiller or Hall actioned rifle? I understand that there are a few custom triggers available now that rival the Anschutz 5018.

I have a Stiller 2500X actioned bench rifle and a couple Turbo actioned bench rifles. All have Jewell 2 oz triggers. The Jewell triggers as well as the Bix'n Andy triggers are used at the highest level of benchrest competition. They certainly are as good as the Anschutz triggers. I also have a first year production Cooper 57M and while it's trigger can't be safely brought down to 2 oz., mine is adjusted down to 2 lb. and is crisp with no creep or over-travel and is very controllable. While it can't shoot with my custom benchrest sporter, it shoots extremely well. For a non-target sporter, I think the Cooper trigger is pretty damn good. I also have a Remington 541THB and the Cooper trigger is far superior.

For anyone interested in what the top rimfire shooters are using for equipment, click on the link below and click on the equipment tab in the right upper corner.

http://www.americanrimfire.com/index.php/user/match_results/2143

Last edited by cooper57m; 09/18/15.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Agreed about the Cooper triggers, they are much better than they get credit for. Nice shooting by the way.

Cooper clearly states that they build hunting rifles - not benchrest rifles and so for their intended purpose the triggers are more than adequate. On my Cooper sporters I set them at 1# 8 oz.by doing nothing more than backing out the weight of pull adjustment spring.

By respringing and carefully adjusting sear engagement I have had my LVT down to a safe 6 ounces, and currently have it set at 11. It is not a benchrest trigger nor was it even intended to be.
(I do not recommend setting one this low unless you are proficient in trigger adjustment - if you must have one this low Jard sells a replacement trigger.)

I will add this caveat - On Cooper triggers, due to the design of the safety, if the sear engagement is changed the safety MUST be readjusted. It is not rocket science for someone who understands mechanical interaction but SHOULD NOT be attempted by someone who does not because the safety can be rendered disabled and create a hazardous situation. There is plenty of info on the board about how to do.

drover

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If you can stand the coin, go straight to Anschutz. I have had three 54 Sporters. Try as I may, I never learned to like the roll over stocks for field work. OK from the bench, terrible got hunting. These days, they offer an American style stock. My cheap Remingtons to follow do very nearly as well.

I have a couple of older Marlin 39A Mounties that are not far behind.

After my bride's folks all passed away, she sold the house. While cleaning out the store room, I found an old single shot Remington 510 Targetmaster. Absolutely no blue left, but a good looking bore. It shoots bug holes.

Cruising the pawn shops a year or so ago, I found a Remington 511 ( same gun with a removable magazine) in really nice condition for $40. I grabbed it. It is the same gun as the Junior Target, sans the receiver sight and target stock. It shoots bug holes as well, especially with target ammo.

I'm sure others have covered the new offerings. I like used guns for value.

Best,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
K
K
If you can find an Izhmash CM-2 for a good price, I highly recommend buying one. I picked up one about 8 years ago for a great price and it's by far the most accurate 22 i own. I also currently own a highly customed 10/22, a stock 10/22, Izhmash Biathlon Basic, CZ452 Varmint, CZ452 Scout/with adult stock and a couple of old 22 single shots. The CM-2 will out shoot them all. The CZ452 Varmint and Izhmash BB would run a tie for second.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by cooper57m
You are right, the Coopers can be very accurate as they apparently really know how to install a barrel. However, their trigger design leaves much to be desired.

I have a Stiller 2500X actioned bench rifle and a couple Turbo actioned bench rifles. All have Jewell 2 oz triggers. The Jewell triggers as well as the Bix'n Andy triggers are used at the highest level of benchrest competition. They certainly are as good as the Anschutz triggers. I also have a first year production Cooper 57M and while it's trigger can't be safely brought down to 2 oz., mine is adjusted down to 2 lb. and is crisp with no creep or over-travel and is very controllable. While it can't shoot with my custom benchrest sporter, it shoots extremely well. For a non-target sporter, I think the Cooper trigger is pretty damn good. I also have a Remington 541THB and the Cooper trigger is far superior.

For anyone interested in what the top rimfire shooters are using for equipment, click on the link below and click on the equipment tab in the right upper corner.

http://www.americanrimfire.com/index.php/user/match_results/2143

Do you happen to have experience with the Stiller repeater action? What about the two stage triggers that can be fitted to them? My experience is mostly with silhouette rifles, and any option to Anschutz would be welcome. Thanks!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Agreed about the Cooper triggers, they are much better than they get credit for. Nice shooting by the way.

Cooper clearly states that they build hunting rifles - not benchrest rifles and so for their intended purpose the triggers are more than adequate. On my Cooper sporters I set them at 1# 8 oz.by doing nothing more than backing out the weight of pull adjustment spring.

By respringing and carefully adjusting sear engagement I have had my LVT down to a safe 6 ounces, and currently have it set at 11. It is not a benchrest trigger nor was it even intended to be.
(I do not recommend setting one this low unless you are proficient in trigger adjustment - if you must have one this low Jard sells a replacement trigger.)

I will add this caveat - On Cooper triggers, due to the design of the safety, if the sear engagement is changed the safety MUST be readjusted. It is not rocket science for someone who understands mechanical interaction but SHOULD NOT be attempted by someone who does not because the safety can be rendered disabled and create a hazardous situation. There is plenty of info on the board about how to do.

drover

This is interesting. I had two Classics and one JSR but I sold them because of the mechanical action of the safety and the fact that for the trigger to work reliably there had to be movement(creep and over-travel). It was admittedly not a great deal of movement and would likely have worked fine in some applications, but it certainly was not in the league of the 5018 Anschutz. Yours may of course be different, but the three samples I had did not have the consistent feel that is necessary for silhouette no matter what I did or who I sent them off to. This seems to be a common feeling as custom Anschutz rifles are by far the norm in that discipline.

But you say this can be remedied? I'd like to know more. Thanks!

Also, I understand that good two stage triggers can be fitted to the Melvin Forbes receiver, does anyone have experience with this? I have felt the excellent Jewell triggered version, but I am more interested in match grade two stage triggers that are highly adjustable for weight distribution. Thanks again!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Do you happen to have experience with the Stiller repeater action? What about the two stage triggers that can be fitted to them? My experience is mostly with silhouette rifles, and any option to Anschutz would be welcome. Thanks! [/quote]

I have knowledge of the Stiller 2500X benchrest sporter (repeater) action but no practical experience. Several folks that I shoot with have them and like them. They are not the hunting/sporter actions that they recently introduced. The benchrest sporter actions are very nice. I think a Stiller repeater action with a Jewell or Bix'N Andy trigger and custom BR-type sporter barrel would make a dandy silhouette rifle. Stiller 2500X actions are top notch IMO.

Last edited by cooper57m; 09/24/15.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...say Fotis...you ever decide what rifle to buy???

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

drover

This is interesting. I had two Classics and one JSR but I sold them because of the mechanical action of the safety and the fact that for the trigger to work reliably there had to be movement(creep and over-travel). It was admittedly not a great deal of movement and would likely have worked fine in some applications, but it certainly was not in the league of the 5018 Anschutz. Yours may of course be different, but the three samples I had did not have the consistent feel that is necessary for silhouette no matter what I did or who I sent them off to. This seems to be a common feeling as custom Anschutz rifles are by far the norm in that discipline.

Also, I understand that good two stage triggers can be fitted to the Melvin Forbes receiver, does anyone have experience with this? I have felt the excellent Jewell triggered version, but I am more interested in match grade two stage triggers that are highly adjustable for weight distribution. Thanks again!

I do not know what I can add to my statement except to say that if you have creep it means you have excessive sear engagement. It is simple to adjust the sear for a minimum engagement with no creep. I am a bit confused by your statement concerning overtravel - it is necessary to have overtravel or the trigger cannot move enough to release the sear. The overtravel is easily set by the overtravel adjustment screw, you can set it to a minimum by turning the screw in until the trigger no longer releases, then start backing it out a bit at a time until you get the desired overtravel. Jewel's and 5018 both have overtravel and they are adjusted in the same manner as the Cooper trigger.
But I will qualify my post again by saying that the safety must be readjusted anytime the sear engagement has been changed.

If you go to rimfirecentral.com and go to the Cooper forum one of the first things you will see is a sticky concerning Cooper trigger adjustment. The person who posted it recommends moly powder to "slick" them up but I have never had to do that, instead I replace the weight of pull spring with a "softer" spring and then set the weight of pull to what weight I want. As I said - I have had them as low as a safe and reliable 6 ounces but I that was only on one of my LVT's that I was uisng for bench work, so I cannot say that they will all go that low.

I too am a bit of a trigger snob because I am now in my 36th year of shooting rifle silhouette (first match in 1979). I am Master in smallbore Std and Hunter and AAA in high-power Std and Hunter. I have been fortunate enough to win a few State championships and a National championship, I have spent a lot of years pulling triggers and am firm believer that it is more about "trigger time" than the trigger itself, if it has reasonable quality and repeatability.
But in reading your posts and the triggers you are using I suspect that you are using a dedicated Std rifle wheras I began using my Hunter rifle for bot Std and Hunter class a great many years ago so I only have need for a consistent 2# trigger on my 57M, I have my trigger set at 2 lb, 2 oz (2 extra oz to allow for ham-handed certifiers who do not know how to properly lift a trigger weight), and on my Lyman electronic gauge the largest variance I have seen on my Cooper trigger is 3/10 of an ounce over an average of 5 pulls.

Too me the Jewel and 5018 are both the wrong trigger for a Hunter class rifle where the weight must be in lbs, not ounces. The reason IMO is that the thinner trigger shoe on both of them increase the "felt" pull weight because you are pulling on such a small surface area. Wheras with a wider trigger shoe, such as found on Coopers, Timney's, Rem 700 triggers spreads the "felt" weight over the larger area and creates the sensation of a lighter trigger than it actually is.
(Hopefully I have been able to paint a word picture so that you can visualize what I am saying.)

I tried Jewel's and 5018's both throughout the years on Hunter rifles and they just never worked as well for me a clean crisp single stage trigger with the wider shoe, but then I do not like 2-stage triggers either. IMO they are fine for Std rifle or benchrest but just not the right trigger for Hunter class rifles.

But we have drifted a long ways from the OP's question which was
" For a very very accurate 22 LR rifle.....
Older or new manufacturer what would you suggest?"

No match type rifles but I want a tackdriver!"

Not to start a war of words, or taking anything away form Anschutz engineering and mechanics, but fulfilling that statement IMO is where the Cooper shines -

(I am talking base grade rifles with no upgrades for both manufacturers, and I also realize that there exceptions but as a general rule this is what I have encountered throughout my years having owned quite a number of both of them,)

The better Anschutz wood is generally very plain compared to the average Cooper wood.

The Anschutz wood fit and finish is not generally in the same ballpark as the Cooper.

The best Anschutz checkering looks like it was done with a dull fork wheras the Cooper checkering is hand-done and is usually flawless.

Accuracy wise there is little to no difference between them, there is probably more difference between individual guns than there is between the manufacturers.

And finally the fact that Coopers are totally made in the U.S. by American workers.

Sorry that this has gotten so long winded but I wanted to post my credentials as far as triggers and just could not find any way to shorten it up and still be somewhat understandable.

drover

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Just to be different how about a Springfield M1922. I picked this one up for about 1K and it shoots sub moa. You have to search the auction houses but they do come up. I just like the military trainers and this NRA sporter is hard to beat.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
All you guys,,,,,,,, suck...

Your Every Liberal vote promotes Socialism and is an
attack on the Second Amendment. You will suffer the consequences.

GOA,Idaho2AIAlliance,AmericanFirearmsAssociation,IdahoTrappersAssociation,FoundationForWildlifeManagement ID and MT.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Shag
All you guys,,,,,,,, suck...

And RogerD, you REALLY suck!!! smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Second that motion!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

drover

I do not know what I can add to my statement except to say that if you have creep it means you have excessive sear engagement. It is simple to adjust the sear for a minimum engagement with no creep. I am a bit confused by your statement concerning overtravel - it is necessary to have overtravel or the trigger cannot move enough to release the sear. The overtravel is easily set by the overtravel adjustment screw, you can set it to a minimum by turning the screw in until the trigger no longer releases, then start backing it out a bit at a time until you get the desired overtravel. Jewel's and 5018 both have overtravel and they are adjusted in the same manner as the Cooper trigger.
But I will qualify my post again by saying that the safety must be readjusted anytime the sear engagement has been changed.

If you go to rimfirecentral.com and go to the Cooper forum one of the first things you will see is a sticky concerning Cooper trigger adjustment. The person who posted it recommends moly powder to "slick" them up but I have never had to do that, instead I replace the weight of pull spring with a "softer" spring and then set the weight of pull to what weight I want. As I said - I have had them as low as a safe and reliable 6 ounces but I that was only on one of my LVT's that I was uisng for bench work, so I cannot say that they will all go that low.

I too am a bit of a trigger snob because I am now in my 36th year of shooting rifle silhouette (first match in 1979). I am Master in smallbore Std and Hunter and AAA in high-power Std and Hunter. I have been fortunate enough to win a few State championships and a National championship, I have spent a lot of years pulling triggers and am firm believer that it is more about "trigger time" than the trigger itself, if it has reasonable quality and repeatability.
But in reading your posts and the triggers you are using I suspect that you are using a dedicated Std rifle wheras I began using my Hunter rifle for bot Std and Hunter class a great many years ago so I only have need for a consistent 2# trigger on my 57M, I have my trigger set at 2 lb, 2 oz (2 extra oz to allow for ham-handed certifiers who do not know how to properly lift a trigger weight), and on my Lyman electronic gauge the largest variance I have seen on my Cooper trigger is 3/10 of an ounce over an average of 5 pulls.

Too me the Jewel and 5018 are both the wrong trigger for a Hunter class rifle where the weight must be in lbs, not ounces. The reason IMO is that the thinner trigger shoe on both of them increase the "felt" pull weight because you are pulling on such a small surface area. Wheras with a wider trigger shoe, such as found on Coopers, Timney's, Rem 700 triggers spreads the "felt" weight over the larger area and creates the sensation of a lighter trigger than it actually is.
(Hopefully I have been able to paint a word picture so that you can visualize what I am saying.)

I tried Jewel's and 5018's both throughout the years on Hunter rifles and they just never worked as well for me a clean crisp single stage trigger with the wider shoe, but then I do not like 2-stage triggers either. IMO they are fine for Std rifle or benchrest but just not the right trigger for Hunter class rifles.

But we have drifted a long ways from the OP's question which was
" For a very very accurate 22 LR rifle.....
Older or new manufacturer what would you suggest?"

No match type rifles but I want a tackdriver!"

Not to start a war of words, or taking anything away form Anschutz engineering and mechanics, but fulfilling that statement IMO is where the Cooper shines -

(I am talking base grade rifles with no upgrades for both manufacturers, and I also realize that there exceptions but as a general rule this is what I have encountered throughout my years having owned quite a number of both of them,)

The better Anschutz wood is generally very plain compared to the average Cooper wood.

The Anschutz wood fit and finish is not generally in the same ballpark as the Cooper.

The best Anschutz checkering looks like it was done with a dull fork wheras the Cooper checkering is hand-done and is usually flawless.

Accuracy wise there is little to no difference between them, there is probably more difference between individual guns than there is between the manufacturers.

And finally the fact that Coopers are totally made in the U.S. by American workers.

Sorry that this has gotten so long winded but I wanted to post my credentials as far as triggers and just could not find any way to shorten it up and still be somewhat understandable.

drover

Interesting post, wish I still had my Coopers so I could should show you what I was talking about. I am not sure that I can articulate the feel of the triggers on an online forum.

My current Anschutz has a single stage 2 lb 2 oz trigger as well, but it is not weight so much as the other qualities some call "cleanness" that are more important to me. In this case the Anschutz is far superior, in my opinion. This is my hunting rifle and was my silhoutte rifle last year too, but for pure silhouette I much prefer FrankenHunters built on 54.18 actions. Even those have to be tuned by someone that knows what they are doing, as the cam, strut, and springs all have to be changed.

But aside from the trigger, the thing that makes it great is its performance in the squirrel woods, made possible by the ergonomics and functionality of the McMillan stock and the fine accuracy provided by the Lilja barrel that was properly installed. I think both pillar and glass bedding helped give it the consistency I like too.

All of this adds up to a nice field rifle, or what we call "Ultimate Squirrel Rifles" over on RFC. Go check out the squirrel thread over there if you are interested in such detail.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Could buy an older 54 for 700 or under. There are a few gun stores that seem to get them. I picked one up off a tac rifle site for 725. Came with an old Tasco AO and cantilever mount. Nice gun going to ring it out tomorrow.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 69 invisible), 2,190 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,139
Posts18,464,805
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.