Print Thread
Hop To
#10057240 06/23/15
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I am envious of you guys that have gophers/prairie dogs to shoot. I honed my shooting on groundhogs when II lived in PA. Is there any place near Denver where I could spend some time thinning any of the aforementioned sans the groundhogs?

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Crickets!!!!!! Boy you would have thought I asked for a guy's honey hole for elk or deer. Are Gophers and Prairie Dogs that tough to find or are ya all keeping those honey holes to yourself too?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The whole of eastern colorado is basically private, unlike all the BLM on the western slope.. You almost have to know someone, to get on a place.....

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I know where there's about 350,000 acres of public land in northern CO.... and there's more than enough poodles for a few guys to have a thoroughly enjoyable day.

Here's the deal..... this ain't the Rosebud.... and days of setting up a bench and hammering 200 dogs in a morning of shooting are loooong gone. I know where there are 50 different "magazine towns'.... meaning: I shoot one magazine (4-10 rounds) then move on to another town and do it again. I think of it more like hunting chucks.... shoot 20-25 in a day.... and that's a good day. I try to shoot the big mature dogs... mostly because their easier to hit, and provide more goo to fling...

Shot me a PM and I'll point you to some larger towns on public land within 2 hours of Denver, and you can explore from there..... but you may owe me an elk or deer honey-hole...

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That's a good man right there.

Originally Posted by Dogshooter
I know where there's about 350,000 acres of public land in northern CO.... and there's more than enough poodles for a few guys to have a thoroughly enjoyable day.

Here's the deal..... this ain't the Rosebud.... and days of setting up a bench and hammering 200 dogs in a morning of shooting are loooong gone. I know where there are 50 different "magazine towns'.... meaning: I shoot one magazine (4-10 rounds) then move on to another town and do it again. I think of it more like hunting chucks.... shoot 20-25 in a day.... and that's a good day. I try to shoot the big mature dogs... mostly because their easier to hit, and provide more goo to fling...

Shot me a PM and I'll point you to some larger towns on public land within 2 hours of Denver, and you can explore from there..... but you may owe me an elk or deer honey-hole...

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by shootsaswede
Crickets!!!!!! Boy you would have thought I asked for a guy's honey hole for elk or deer. Are Gophers and Prairie Dogs that tough to find or are ya all keeping those honey holes to yourself too?

Gopher and prairie dog spots are in fact every bit as closely guarded as elk and deer.

If you come to MT I'll take you to mine for a day or two.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
deflave, If I ever get back up there to visit my relatives I'll look you up and thanks for the offer! Back east the X-mas tree farmers used to buy me ammo just to get rid of the groundhogs I just figured the ranchers would fell the same way about the western version of burrowing varmints, I was wrong!

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Hitting two ranches for the next four days up here, five towns in all. grin

Again, the good stuff is on private.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
deflave, If I ever get back up there to visit my relatives I'll look you up and thanks for the offer! Back east the X-mas tree farmers used to buy me ammo just to get rid of the groundhogs I just figured the ranchers would fell the same way about the western version of burrowing varmints, I was wrong!

It's not that the ranchers won't give permission. It's just unlikely that hunters are going to volunteer their best spots. You tell one guy. He tells the next guy. That guy tells somebody else. And next thing you know, your spots that were dynamite, are shot to schit. This applies to prairie dogs more than gophers.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
Hitting two ranches for the next four days up here, five towns in all. grin

Again, the good stuff is on private.

Ain't that the truth. I have a marked map that I think would be one of the few things I would dive back into a burning house to save. Nothing like having an uninterrupted plethora of targets to [bleep] on for a day.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by deflave
You tell one guy. He tells the next guy. That guy tells somebody else. And next thing you know, your spots that were dynamite, are shot to schit.

Travis

This is IDENTICAL to fishing in Minnes.....er.....Poland

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

It's not that the ranchers won't give permission. It's just unlikely that hunters are going to volunteer their best spots. You tell one guy. He tells the next guy. That guy tells somebody else. And next thing you know, your spots that were dynamite, are shot to schit. This applies to prairie dogs more than gophers.

Travis

This is true. I took Travis to my prairie dog town for a day of shooting. I went back the next weekend and this is what I find, Travis and a bunch of Havre Hoosiers shooting up my field...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Shrapnel, you are not out shooting prairie dogs this weekend with the .222 mag.'s???

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Nope, Travis beat me there again and had most of the field shot up. You have noticed his lack of posts since about Thursday...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
I have noticed that, but I thought he was in Poland??? Pretty sneaky!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Just got back from the best shoot Ive had in a loooooooong time. PDs in central Montana, two of us expended 3000 rounds in three days with a pretty good shot to kill ratio.
Thanks to Shrapnel for posting his map...the dogs were exactly where the map said they'd be! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice to hear you're back and had a great shoot.. Seems like there are more dogs this year than others!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Yep...I saw more in Wyoming this year too...plus it seems to be a good year for rabbit numbers...saw bunches of them this week. Didn't shoot any...I'll visit them after the first frost, cause I like to eat them!

Wish I could post some pics of this shoot, but I lost my camera on day one.... frown

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
sounds like someone had some HOT barrel shooting. Isn't it fun...

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 59 invisible), 3,132 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,219
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.