Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
My uncle, who is about the elk killingest fellow ive ever met, ended up with a 7 mag as a short notice replacement rifle about 15 years ago. He doesnt handload, but is a diehard Partition fan, so he loaded up on 160 NPT Federal Premium ammo. He found over then next half dozen bulls he shot that it kills them just as dead and just as fast when you put one through the front axle as his 270 did using the 150 Partition.

Lots of guys around where I grew up are hardcore 7 mag fans, why I don't know as the whitetail deer there average about 150# on the hoof, but fact is the 7 is as good a killer as anything when good bullets are steered through the important parts. Ive seen them work well on deer, elk, and hogs using good bullets, and make a huge mess and long tracking job when poor performing bullets were used or shots landed where they shouldn't. Just like everything else on the shelf.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jryoung
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Its interesting how the elasticity of the off-side hide will "trampoline" and catch those expanded soft points. Nice pic.

Yeah, would have loved to see a slow motion camera shot of it springing back.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I skinned a moose a few years ago which had no hole in the offside hide, but a finger-sized hole right under the hide. What happened to the bullet? I sure studied that hide thinking I was missing an unseen perforation. Finally I stuck my finger into the hole in the shoulder and felt the bullet with my finger tip. It’s pretty obvious that that hide can create some ‘bounce’.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Don't worry about the barrel burning out, unless you are going to shoot prairie dogs with it and you just can't control yourself with the number of rounds you shoot in a short order of time.
I like 162 grain Hornady spbt's and 154 grain Hornady Sp's. But you can't go wrong with 160 grain partitions - The 160 grain Nosler partitions shoot very well for me - I mainly use H4831 and now H4831SC. I have bought a few pounds of RE25 and will be doing some range work with that, this summer - that is the favorite powder for many. If the elk is standing sideways and not to distant most deer rifles would work. I'm not always that lucky. To me, the 7mm RM is the smallest rifle I'd use on elk, while others seem to like smaller cartridges, due to recoil, I suppose. I do not find recoil an issue and to me the 7mm RM is a mild cartridge.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
175 Partitions were what my ULA liked.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For handloaders, you need to try out the 180 Scenar, IMO.

IC B2

G
G46 Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I've got 2 in the safe right now. Will a 7 Mag kill elk? Sure.

I'm not here to be a Doom & Gloom on the 7RM, but both of mine have been safe queens for quite some time now. Why?

I found I have done just as well with my 7mm/08. Although there is a new 338Fed in my near future.

If a 7RM is what you want, and you can shoot it well, then go for it. A 150-160 AB/PT will serve you extremely well, so don't blame the bullet if elkie doesn't flop !

"Be polite, be professional, and have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Gen. James Mathis, USMC
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I have hunted for >35 yrs. w/ 2 brothers and watched them & their 7's. One a Rem 700, the other from the first batch of Ruger 77's to hit Montana. They both buy the cheapest ammo of the year in their home cities. The result; a dead elk for each every year! The cartridge must work just fine!!!
I, a wee bit different, shot a 7x61 S&H......

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Just curious. How does one gain so much experience shooting elk? Permits in Montana seen very limited and it seems the same in other states. As a non resident, it looks like one elk in a lifetime is a miracle.

As a young man I couldn't afford the hunt. Now as a geezer I can afford it but wont live long enuff to draw a tag. And ill be damned if im gonna send Montana $300 a year for the privilage of being told to go pound sand. smile

Too old to suffer fools
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Outcast, You can get over the counter elk tags, every year, in many units in Colorado, or the other option is to apply for tags in several different states

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Outcast
Just curious. How does one gain so much experience shooting elk? Permits in Montana seen very limited and it seems the same in other states. As a non resident, it looks like one elk in a lifetime is a miracle.

As a young man I couldn't afford the hunt. Now as a geezer I can afford it but wont live long enuff to draw a tag. And ill be damned if im gonna send Montana $300 a year for the privilage of being told to go pound sand. smile

Huh?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
MT resident tags over the counter. Spend your entire life within 10mi. of productive elk hunting. A piece of cake!

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
A great place to live but very POOR to make a living!!!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Outcast,

Dunno where you came up with "send Montana $300 a year for the privilege of being told to go pound sand.

Right now you could just call up the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks and buy a non-resident elk license. They even take credit cards, but the license costs a little more than $300.

We residents can just go buy a tag or two every year for a lot less. In fact when I started buying them in junior high I believe my cost was $1, or maybe it was $2.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
You're old. whistle grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ulvejaeger
MT resident tags over the counter. Spend your entire life within 10mi. of productive elk hunting. A piece of cake!

We have it made, don't we my friend?

I've had a Montana elk tag in my pocket every year since 1968. Once you've had elk meat in your freezer, you try to maintain that habit every year...

I've killed a few good bulls with the 7RM. I used to use 160gr Partitions. Plenty of power at any range you can place your shot.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
We have it made, don't we my friend?

Yes we do!!

Mule Deer must be a year or 2 older than me(or his memory is better!!)I remember $5 tags.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Graeme,

I just happen to have a copy of the Montana Hunting & Fishing Information Bulletin for 1965-66, which is when I started big game hunting. The elk tag for residents was indeed $1, as were deer and antelope tags. Mountain goat was $5, sheep $15 and moose $25.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Do you ever throw anything that's been printed about rifles or hunting, John? You must have a huge archive

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
All this 7 mag talk I'm going to have to get serious and mount a scope on the one I just bought and see how it shoots. Probably keep it simple I have a bunch of 162gr hornady btsp and use H4831 and go from their.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Graeme,

I just happen to have a copy of the Montana Hunting & Fishing Information Bulletin for 1965-66, which is when I started big game hunting. The elk tag for residents was indeed $1, as were deer and antelope tags. Mountain goat was $5, sheep $15 and moose $25.

That is a piece of cool literature!
Hope you & Eileen had a great 4th.

Graeme

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
688 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 73 invisible), 3,107 guests, and 1,437 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.