Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Graeme,

We did have good 4th! Hope you did too.

I found the booklet at an estate sale. We do estate and garage sales fairly often, and have found some great stuff over the years. Got my Speer No. 1 loading manual at a garage sale in Lewistown for 50 cents.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Outcast,

We residents can just go buy a tag or two every year for a lot less. In fact when I started buying them in junior high I believe my cost was $1, or maybe it was $2.

Or 3 raccoon pelts....

Man, you are getting up there.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Here's one I punched a few years back....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
scenarshooter

Some day I will have to have someone teach me how to post pics on here. The best I can do for old tags is a punched mountain goat tag, 1974. Was a special draw permit, $15.00. 7x57 factory loads as I remember......

Those were the days.......

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79S
All this 7 mag talk I'm going to have to get serious and mount a scope on the one I just bought and see how it shoots. Probably keep it simple I have a bunch of 162gr hornady btsp and use H4831 and go from their.

That is the bullet and cartridge I used to kill my first elk in the early 1980's and the reason I quit using cup-and-core bullets in my bolt guns after that. The 162g BTSP hit a young bull broadside, centering a rib, missing or lightly nicking the far-side ribs and coming to a stop under the hide. Retained weight was under 48%. Range was about 110 yards.

Since then I have used Speer Grand Slam (for 20+ years), North Fork SS (my favorite), Nosler AccuBond and Partition, Swift A-Frame and Scirocco, and Barnes MRX and TTSX. (Barnes X (XLC) bullets were a big disappointment the one time I used them on big game and inconsistent even on coyotes.)

While cup and core bullets are admittedly less expensive, the incremental cost of using one of the afore mentioned premium bullets for a hunt is negligible compared to the cost of a typical elk hunt. In a typical year I'll spend about $500 in fuel, never mind other costs (food, equipment repairs, processing fees, camp site costs, etc.) which can easily add another $500 or more. Contrast that to an incremental cost of about $0.20 to $0.30 for using AccuBond or Partitions, respectively, or about $0.40 to use Barnes TTSX or North Fork SS.

Will cup and core bullets work? Sure - most of the time. At best the premiums provide a little bit of insurance as they hold together better when things go wrong. The same is true for having chains for all 4 wheels instead of just two, having a chain repair kit, or any number of other things I make sure I take along. But I've needed chains on all four, the chain repair kit and many of those other things. More than once I've driven TTSX lengthwise through mule deer, front to back, and one North Fork ham to sternum through a mule deer buck. This performance was not at all surprising but I wouldn't trust a Hornady 162g BTSP to do the same. Cheap insurance is not a bad thing IMHO.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79S
All this 7 mag talk I'm going to have to get serious and mount a scope on the one I just bought and see how it shoots. Probably keep it simple I have a bunch of 162gr hornady btsp and use H4831 and go from their.

That is the bullet and cartridge I used to kill my first elk in the early 1980's and the reason I quit using cup-and-core bullets in my bolt guns after that. The 162g BTSP hit a young bull broadside, centering a rib, missing or lightly nicking the far-side ribs and coming to a stop under the hide. Retained weight was under 48%. Range was about 110 yards.

Since then I have used Speer Grand Slam (for 20+ years), North Fork SS (my favorite), Nosler AccuBond and Partition, Swift A-Frame and Scirocco, and Barnes MRX and TTSX. (Barnes X (XLC) bullets were a big disappointment the one time I used them on big game and inconsistent even on coyotes.)

While cup and core bullets are admittedly less expensive, the incremental cost of using one of the afore mentioned premium bullets for a hunt is negligible compared to the cost of a typical elk hunt. In a typical year I'll spend about $500 in fuel, never mind other costs (food, equipment repairs, processing fees, camp site costs, etc.) which can easily add another $500 or more. Contrast that to an incremental cost of about $0.20 to $0.30 for using AccuBond or Partitions, respectively, or about $0.40 to use Barnes TTSX or North Fork SS.

Will cup and core bullets work? Sure - most of the time. At best the premiums provide a little bit of insurance as they hold together better when things go wrong. The same is true for having chains for all 4 wheels instead of just two, having a chain repair kit, or any number of other things I make sure I take along. But I've needed chains on all four, the chain repair kit and many of those other things. More than once I've driven TTSX lengthwise through mule deer, front to back, and one North Fork ham to sternum through a mule deer buck. This performance was not at all surprising but I wouldn't trust a Hornady 162g BTSP to do the same. Cheap insurance is not a bad thing IMHO.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79S

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79S

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
A LH Model 700 in 7 Mag. has been my Elk rifle since 1980. In the late 80s I put on a HS Precision stock and had all the shiny metal covered with Teflon -- even the Leupold. In those days the 175 grain Partition only came as a round nose so I loaded the 160 -- with IMR4831. I've killed a lot of Bulls with it -- never lost one. Missed a few though.

It kicks Waaaay less than by buddy's 300 Weatherby.

Another fellow I Elk hunt with has a Browning in 7 Mag. He buys 150 grain Rem CoreLocks and kills Elk with them. Now and then, he asks me if he should change ammo and I mention that maybe at least shoot 175 CoreLocks and that a Partition can be had in a loaded Federal cartridge. Next year -- he comes back with the 150 grain CoreLocks. He killed a nice Oregon 6 point 2 years ago.

Last edited by LarryfromBend; 07/17/15.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have shot all kinds of stuff with 7 mags for 30+ years and I really like the caliber. I have never had a problem getting loads to shoot well and stuff has always ended up in my freezer.

I prefer Nolser Partitions and Hornady Interlocks.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by 79S

Hey bud I think you are having computer problems you posted this not once not twice but 4 times [bleep]?? Anyhow back to the bullets, sure I guess.. Then again I'm that guy running around in Alaska with a 325 wsm my load uses regular old 200gr speer hot-cor bullets. You boys in the lower 48 sure overthink things sometimes..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not a lot of bad bullets for the Seven. Almost any .284 bullet kills great.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep a lot of guys swear by the Ballistic tip in the 7 mag me I'm kind of apprehensive with that bullet. Then again I remember when it first came out and it was grenade fully understand Nosler has redesigned it over the yrs and made it a better bullet.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
jryoung, could you tell me what the distance was on the elk with the 145 lrx? Am thinking on using that bullet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79S

That is the bullet and cartridge ...

Hey bud I think you are having computer problems you posted this not once not twice but 4 times [bleep]?? ...

No idea how that happened. Too late for me to delete the extras so unless a moderator deletes them we'll just have to ignore them.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Hey bud I think you are having computer problems you posted this not once not twice but 4 times [bleep]?? ...

No idea how that happened. Too late for me to delete the extras so unless a moderator deletes them we'll just have to ignore them.

Just giving you a hard time that's all. I fully understand all it takes is for one bullet failure to make a guy look for another bullet. I will admit I was a big fan of the 154gr hornady shot well out of my then wife ruger 77 7-08 she shot a small bull caribou maybe 100yds once skinned I found the bullet complete core separation so all that was recovered was the jacket and these were far from being loaded up hot. So switched to 139gr hornady GMX for her now tikka 7-08. My daughter all she shoots out her 7-08 are 120gr tsx. My wifes 280 all I load forit 160gr accubonds my daughters 270 I'm sticking with the 140gr hornady btsp for now cause it shoots so damn good.

Last edited by 79S; 07/19/15.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Daughter #1's new .308 seemed to like 150g BT better than 165g North Fork so I may go AccuBond for her antelope hunt and first elk hunt. YEt to be determined.

For myself, I plan to use my unblooded .280 and 140g North Fork for antelope. Probably for elk, too, but that is always subject change. The 140's are a design Mike Brady was testing and are more like match HP bullets than the blunter, standard NF design.

Need to get back to the range - finally got some 220g jacketed bullets for my Marlin .375 Win. Might take it as my back-up rifle this year.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Just giving you a hard time that's all. I fully understand all it takes is for one bullet failure to make a guy look for another bullet. I will admit I was a big fan of the 154gr hornady shot well out of my then wife ruger 77 7-08 she shot a small bull caribou maybe 100yds once skinned I found the bullet complete core separation so all that was recovered was the jacket and these were far from being loaded up hot. So switched to 139gr hornady GMX for her now tikka 7-08. My daughter all she shoots out her 7-08 are 120gr tsx. My wifes 280 all I load forit 160gr accubonds my daughters 270 I'm sticking with the 140gr hornady btsp for now cause it shoots so damn good.

Your daughters 270 also likes 150gr. partitions. I've heard that is a damn good "elk bullet" as well... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well see how good that 140gr Hornady does killing a moose. Will hopefully have a hunting report at the end of August. smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Well see how good that 140gr Hornady does killing a moose. Will hopefully have a hunting report at the end of August. smile

I can't wait. Make sure you post some pics!!!! I'd also like to hear how those 140's do as well. I think you bought a couple boxes of those from me a long time ago... blush

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 63 invisible), 2,792 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,367
Posts18,469,093
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.