Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, I know you guys have your favorites and so do I. I have contemplated (for a long time) starting a thread on this particular rifle since I've had the most fun with it: So here goes. I've hunted it every year for many years now. It's been my "go to" for deer hunting and I've also carried it for elk hunting a few times. I'd like to show you guys what it looked like when I got it and the phases it went thru as I've owned it. I've agreed to sell it to a member here who has asked me about it a couple times. The only reason I'm selling it is because I know it's going to a great home and I have a decent pre 64 model 70 fwt 30-06. I'll then finally be down to 1 30-06 rifle after all these years of having multiple 06's. This rifle has been excellent in every way I can think. It has always shot sub moa groups for me and I can't see anything wrong with it, contrary to the many stocks and scopes I've had on it. You'll get a laugh about how many different stocks and scopes this thing has worn laugh. If any of you loonies have a rifle like this one, please share your stories in this thread. Thanks for keeping the Winchester collectors fourum fun and interesting!!!!

Rifle: 6 digit classic sporter 30-06

When I first got the rifle it looked like this. It was topped with a Nikon 4.5-14x40 buckmaster in a one piece Leupold base/rings:
[Linked Image]

I later bought a very nice Bausch and Lomb elite 4200 2.5-10x40 from RDfinn and installed it on this rifle:
[Linked Image]

The first groups fired with that scope on the rifle:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Changed stock to a factory Tupperware. The wood stock just didn't fit me well:
[Linked Image]
I remember glass bedding this one was a biotch since I wanted the forend to be stiff, so I glass the forend of the stock and freefloated it:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/008-21.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/010-22.jpg[/img]

The stock was a little heavy with all the glass I added blush... grin... But the rifle shot lights out. Still...

Figured I'd give the Talley lightweight's a try since everyone here swore by them...:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/001-77.jpg[/img]

Had the metal cerakoted sniper grey and painted the Tupperware stock:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/005-57.jpg[/img]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Continuted:

Went back to the Nikon buckmaster scope, but it looked too long and it added weight, so that didn't last long...:
[Linked Image]

Tried it in a cool left handed thumbhole stock for a while. Wasn't bad, but it was very heavy. Nice for shooting off the bench, but I'm a hunter and this was my main hunting rifle so the stock didn't last long blush... Middle rifle in the funky stock:
[Linked Image]

Next, I painted the Tupperware a really funky green color (sorry I got rid of all those pictures laugh..) and put a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 with CDS on it. The leupold took a chit so I took it off.

Here's a great load the rifle likes. I don't think I've ever loaded a "pet" load for this rifle. I've always just used my other rifles pet loads in it and it's just driven tacks!! This is my pre 64 fwt 30-06's pet load, but this rifle likes it:

[Linked Image]

Next stock I had this rifle in was a nice light Bansner. It was a great stock, but was too slick for hunting use and it was a little too light. Balance was off. I also switched the heavy Nikon 4.5-14 for a 3-9x40:
[Linked Image]

I really found out I didn't like the stock during a rainy elk season:
[Linked Image]
After carrying it around by the scope for a couple days I knew I didn't like the stock and the top heavy feeling it gave the rifle... whistle

Decided I like the factory Tupperware better because it balanced better and felt better in the hands. I painted it a darker brown this time. This is actually a different stock that doesn't have all the bedding compound in the forend. It's lighter than the last one, but still shoots lights out:
[Linked Image]

Needless to say, I shot a nice little buck with the rifle last year and yes, it was wearing a different scope: Burris FFII 4.5-14x42 in a set of medium Talleys laugh :
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_1186_zpsb2b2b407.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/DSC00098_zpsd2a78f65.jpg[/img]

Sorry, no pictures of the buck. The rifle looked better, so I took a picture of it instead laugh

After deer season, I decided the Burris was too heavy and big for hunting, so I switched to a Zeiss 3-9x42 with the Z600 reticle. I also switched the Talleys out for some Leupold DD's. I believe these are lows:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0171_zps60ae8365.jpg[/img]

And here the rifle is now. Waiting to be sent to it's new home:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0311_zpsohqfdhbm.jpg[/img]

Sorry about being sentimental with this one. It's been a great rifle. I know you guys think of me as a pre 64 snob/loony, but I do appreciate a good classic every now and then too.... wink

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sorry guys, but a thread like this deserves target pictures!!!! laugh

Here's how the rifle shoots:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Forgot to mention the trigger on this one is beautiful and adjusted down to 2.5 pounds. I really like the wide trigger shoes on the classics. They are very comfortable to shoot.

BSA MAGA
R
RGK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Down to ONE .30-06? Oh no! Say it ain't so!

Loved the photo essay.
Bob

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha... Yep, I can't hardly believe it myself. I sold one of my favorites to EricM here a couple years ago and now this classic is going to a good guy here as well... I was getting bored, so I figured I'd share this rifle with you guys. It's one I don't talk about too much here.. Glad you like the photo essay Bob...

BSA MAGA
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
BSA, Thanks for all the work and effort putting this information together for all of us. Good stuff.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
BSA I think you change stocks and scopes like I change my socks and underwear smile I have a tendency to put a scope on a rifle and NEVER change it and since I prefer wood stocks my Pre64's all have their original stocks. You have a lot of history with that rifle and I think you will miss it once it's gone.

I just bought my second 06 from WinPoor a STD pre 64 transition gun. I have a FWT but have never been an 06 fan. No real reason I just used other calibers. I did mount a Elite 4200 3x9 on the 06 however and will try to get it out for deer season but need to work up a load for it first.

Thanks for the thread, diversity is a good thing be it with various stock/scope combinations or my favorite multiple rifles. smile

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
VEry nice BSA!

You know people rag on the tupperware stocks but I have ran three of them for over 16 years, up and down mountains, on 4 wheelers, etc... and never had a problem. A little bedding and free floated they shoot lights out.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Someone here is getting a very nice rifle!

Nice story and pics, BSA.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Very nice BSA. That looks like a great hunting rifle right there. I know they aren't always pretty but I have had nothing but excellent luck with my Classics..

Semper Fi
IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well hopefully the next time you guys see it, it will be with a big bull moose or a nice Nelchina Caribou out of unit 13 smile or load it up using some good 180gr partitions or the proving 180gr accubonds or might live dangerous and use the 190gr hornady btsp and go find me a nice interior brown bear. I'm not a sheep hunter and chasing mtn goats is a little to risky for this guy. So no pictures with any of those smile

Last edited by 79S; 06/25/15.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
J, you are going to love this rifle. I'll say this in front of everyone here. If you are not happy for any reason. Please send it back to me!!!!! I will miss this rifle, but know it will not let you down. It would be the rifle I'd want to depend on for a big bear hunt etc..... I know you won't get this rifle for a little while, so I figured you'd appreciate this thread...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Really great tribute, BSA. Thanks for posting this. I really enjoyed it. cool

J, congrats man!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy my '51 '06, also bought from BSA a few years back. Pre-64 30-06 = home run!!

Eric

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will probably put a 3-9x33 leupold on it. Good news I get back from this deployment end of the year and Idaho has otc cow elk tags in December my buddy has found some farmers that will let us hunt on as well. So this bad boy might be the one going. But I have a 270WSM in stainless featherweight classic I like to try it out but I also have a 7WSM too but what about that stainless classic in the 7 mag I just picked up but I do have that stainless featherweight I had rebored to a 338 wsm. Now I think about it I have the stainless classic in a 375 H&H... But did this 06 make all them irrelevant?? Well except for the 375 H&H

Last edited by 79S; 06/25/15.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Nice thread BSA ! I know what you mean about these guns, an airline Capt, shooting flying buddy rode over to Thomasville GA with me in early to mid 90's, A big old gun shop had just gotten a mod 70 Sporter Classic in with the BOSS, it had nice wood and I had been reading up on the BOSS concept,I knew enough about tuners and muzzle brakes to say heck its a buy, leupold mounts and VX11 3x9, box 2 boxes of Fed prem 165 gr BT and I was set, We rode back to farm ,airstrip and range, I mounted the base ,rings and scope and we walked out to bench after reading the BOSS flyer and set the BOSS on 2 for the 165 gr BT's, 4 shots later I was in the black bulls eye, 2 more shots were a perfect all 3 touching each other cloverleaf, 7 or 8 shots later yielded 7 or 8 whitetails! My only fuss was the brake would blow you ears out! No kick at all to speak of ,My buddy tried to get the gun from me for the next 10 years, a beautiful gun just like it came up in supergrade and I bought it, sold the lucky tackdriver . I had harvested between 20 and 30+ deer with that gun, since my pal Chip talked me out of it he, his young son and daughter are stacking the whitetails up!
Fantastic gun! Guess what the Supergrade has never shot as well as that gun!
Sometimes you just get lucky! very best WinPoor

Last edited by winchesterpoor; 06/26/15.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice story winpoor. Thanks for sharing buddy. Hope you have a great weekend. It's going to be hot here. Already 115 today... sick

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Good post BSA.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Nice story winpoor. Thanks for sharing buddy. Hope you have a great weekend. It's going to be hot here. Already 115 today... sick

115…? Where are you?! eek

Eric

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where BSA is from its always been hot as hell. You could come off the flats out of the farm country and drop into Columbia gorge and I swear the temperature rose 10-15 degrees.

Last edited by 79S; 06/27/15.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been thinking about this rifle and thinking maybe should try 165 partitions as well.. Looks like BSA has a good baseline with powder and that is IMR 4350 not a big fan of it cause it meters bad but if that's what works I will stick with it no need reinventing the wheel on this. in the past few years I have grown to like the Barnes TSX as well might try the 165's as well.Or start stocking up on 180gr hornady spfb bullets. So many choices here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
458 members (300jimmy, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 39 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,932
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.