Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Valsdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Would it be a relatively easy job? Bolt face is the same. Might have to work on magazine feed lips? Rotary magazine should allow for "pointy" bullets?

Do the barrels on these swap out easily?

Just an idea I had as I like the cartridge, have a couple of guns so chambered, and would like a bolt action too.

Think the right person could talk Ruger into chambering some from the factory? Assuming they could also talk Winchester into loading ammo it also.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow!! I like that idea..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's a neat idea, but here are a few points to consider:

There's a good chance it would feed OK. It should be easier to get a 25 caliber bullet to fit in the "funnel" of a 357 chamber than a 357. But you'll never know till you try it.

There's a snowball's chance of getting Ruger to chamber it or Winchester to make more ammo. As a factory offering the 256 is dead. You're going to have to make a custom 25 caliber barrel.

It's also going to be hard to find an appropriate bullet. Hornady, God bless 'em, lists a 60 grain FP but like many of its more exotic offerings it's on "temporary suspension". I suspect you might run into bullet length issues with any heavier spitzers.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Do not forget cast bullets.

I have been thinking about this as a project. Someone out there would be happy to make you a custom mold with about four cavities. Look what NOE might have now.

357 brass will never be a problem. Case forming dies should be easy to turn out from a length of threaded rod by anyone with a lathe.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Barrels of the 77/CF models have, to my knowledge, always been threaded into the receivers. Until recently, the RFs were slip-fit and clamped like 10/22 barrels, but are now also threaded.

Your idea is a good one, actually one I have mulled over at times along with turning a 77/44 into a 77/357 B&D.

The nice lady at Ruger parts sales told me that the plastic stocks for the 77/44 and the 77/357 are the same which leads me to think that a walnut 77/44 stock could be fitted to a stainless 77/357, which would be quite handsome, I think. The main obstacle would be finding a stock as Ruger doesn't have any extras lying around waiting for my good ideas.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Be very careful of your chambering reamer dimensions. I know of one commercial reamerthat is over size in the base diameter and too long from rim to shoulder. Just like the Marlin levergun case life is short.

Slim
djp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
PM Penndog and see if he ever build his: Ruger 77/256

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks djp for that link, somehow in the few years I've been on the 'fire I missed that post. I didn't know if anyone else had a like idea, but figured if there was such a person they'd be around here. I'll take your recommendation and pm Mr Penndog.

Thanks to the rest of you for your input too.

As for some of the "issues" with this round, I'm pretty set with brass. The Marlin I picked up a few years back came with a decent supply, along with dies, bullets and even a couple of boxes of factory ammo (still not fired by me yet :/). I also have some Quality Cartridge brass which I'm not sure I like yet, and I found some more factory brass at a gun show once. If I ever have the need, I'll use some of those forming hints on some of the multitude of 357 brass I've got hanging around.

I've also got various bullets to try from my 25-20 loading. Using the 75 gr Speer flatpoint w/cannelure I took a javelina with my .256 7.5 inch revolver. +/- 15 yd shot. Lungs and liver were mush but exit wounds not overly large (he was still standing after running a bit so he got a second round). I imagine if I'd have hit him in the shoulder I'd have ruined a bunch of meat, but he was hit behind the leg both times. I'd be interested in seeing how an 86 gr gas checked SWC would work out of a rifle length bbl. And as I mentioned the Marlin came with a number of bullets including a box of the hard to find 60gr hp.

I still think someone ( a gunwriter perhaps) should talk to Ruger and try to breathe life back into this interesting little round. Maybe if they'd have come up with a bolt gun the first time around we wouldn't be having this topic to knock around now.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Your idea is a good one, actually one I have mulled over at times along with turning a 77/44 into a 77/357 B&D.

Now that, too, would be a cool gun!

hmmmm? gets me to thinking, could one neck a 44mag down to 25? Has it been done already? Now I have something else to search the innanent for.

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Stan TrozniWhatzit did a piece on the B&D in a TC not long ago. To me, and that platform, a .357 Max makes more sense. My notion about the Ruger pre-dates the 77/357 and regular .357 ballistics are sufficient for me now.

Somewhere I have an article, ( circa 1987) about using saboted .357 bullets in .44s, a .357 B&D on the cheap, but I doubt that outfit is still around.

Your .256 idea is still the best, as that ballistic niche is sorta empty these days and has a lot of practical application. Go for it; I love watching other loonies spend money.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Your .256 idea is still the best, as that ballistic niche is sorta empty these days and has a lot of practical application. Go for it; I love watching other loonies spend money.

SO do I!

Well, if it'll make a fellow 'fire member happy (you) I could always change course and find a donor Weatherby and chamber it in 25/378 and shoot "everything" from sooper zappers (85 gr special made titanium solids so they don't fly apart!) to #3 buckshot (0.25 in roundball) gallery loads. crazy

Probably stick with the 77/256 idea though.

Have fun today.
Geno

In it is contentment

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
This would be a case of reamer/reloading die conflict.

If you put the sizing die in a lathe and face off a couple or three thousands with a carbide bit, and run some paper over the edge all would probably be well.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Sierra's 70 grain blitzking with the plastic tips removed will cycle through the magazine of my 25-20 with acceptable COAL. Removing tips of the blitzkings is a PITA, but they give good speed and terminal performance.

75 grn Speer's or the Rem 86grn round nose should be available on gunbroker, but they aren't just everywhere, or available any time of year.

Neat project, good luck with it.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Let's keep in mind, Ruger's got a bit of history with the .256. Some of us remember the Ruger Hawkeye pistol. Back in '96 I saw one NIB in a gunshop in Millington TN for, IIRC, $1200.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by davet
Sierra's 70 grain blitzking with the plastic tips removed will cycle through the magazine of my 25-20 with acceptable COAL. Removing tips of the blitzkings is a PITA, but they give good speed and terminal performance.

75 grn Speer's or the Rem 86grn round nose should be available on gunbroker, but they aren't just everywhere, or available any time of year.

Neat project, good luck with it.

my marlin 62 LOVES the 70 grain blitzkings, and it pops them out quite nicely. I think it would be a great little load for kids to learn on and could harvest a deer easy enough. a 70 gr bullet moving almost 2600 fps is no slouch. my 6 year old loves shooting it too. I wasn't impressed with the 86 grain bullets, 75's are fine, I have some but haven't played with them too much.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
and there is a member here who did a build like you're talking, I'll look and see if I still have his PM from a couple years ago when I bought my 256, he had some good info.

Penndog is the one who did it, this was his advice "I really like the combo....the BIGGEST limitation is C.O.L. in the Ruger magazine - other than that it is great fun! I would keep the C.O.L. in mind with any build and the Martini would allow the greatest flexibility in that department. It would be a really good starter rifle for a young one and with the "right" bullet I would not be afraid to use it for deer sized animals."

probably wouldn't hurt to shoot him a pm if you want more info, he was very helpful for me, I settled on the 62 myself, but I would love to do one like you're talking.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I was never able to get the 75grn Speer or the 86grn Rem bullets to expand at 25-20 speeds. The 70grn blitzkings certainly do expand, but with the low speeds of the 25-20 they hold together just fine. That bullet has a lot of empty jacket that upsets easily enough causing a fairly wide mushroom.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I was re-reading an old John Wooters article (1969) and picked up a good idea for shortening bullets. He said to run them into a bullet sizing die adjusted to expose the part you want to remove, and then cut/file the tip off. A razor knife should do a good job on the plastic.

Last edited by Pappy348; 07/01/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by davet
I was never able to get the 75grn Speer or the 86grn Rem bullets to expand at 25-20 speeds. The 70grn blitzkings certainly do expand, but with the low speeds of the 25-20 they hold together just fine. That bullet has a lot of empty jacket that upsets easily enough causing a fairly wide mushroom.

Would you mind sharing that load info? I have a friend who's father uses his 25-20 on our small deer, and this would surely be better than what he is using now.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
You will want to check a loading manual, but I believe it is 11.8grn of H4198. My 75grn Speer load is 10.8 of H4198. The 70 grn Sierra load hits about 1/2" higher at 50yrds, which I consider about max range for deer with my personal 25-20 carbine. Part of that is the open sights leave a lot to be desired, Rem m25 with 17.5" barrel that is 80+ year old, so I don't push max loads.

[Linked Image]

I said the 70 Blitz has an empty jacket, but to be more exact it has a lot of plastic, the lead only comes up to the ogive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
676 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 72 invisible), 2,754 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,647
Posts18,399,078
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.