-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Justice Scalia's dissent of today's Supreme Court ruling on the ACA.

____

Today’s opinion changes the usual rules of statutory interpretation for the sake of the Affordable Care Act. That, alas, is not a novelty. In National Federation of Independent Business v. Sebelius, 567 U. S. ___, this Court revised major components of the statute in order to save them from unconstitutionality. The Act that Congress passed provides that every individual “shall” maintain insurance or else pay a “penalty.” 26 U. S. C. §5000A. This Court, however, saw that the Commerce Clause does not authorize a federal mandate to buy health insurance. So it rewrote the mandate-cum-penalty as a tax. 567 U. S., at ___–___ (principal opinion) (slip op., at 15–45). The Act that Congress passed also requires every State to accept an expansion of its Medicaid program, or else risk losing all Medicaid funding. 42 U. S. C. §1396c. This Court, however, saw that the Spending Clause does not authorize this coercive condition. So it rewrote the law to withhold only the incremental funds associated with the Medicaid expansion. 567 U. S., at ___–___ (principal opinion) (slip op., at 45–58). Having transformed two major parts of the law, the Court today has turned its attention to a third. The Act that Congress passed makes tax credits available only on an “Exchange established by the State.” This Court, however, concludes that this limitation would prevent the rest of the Act from working as well as hoped. So it rewrites the law to make tax credits available everywhere. We should start calling this law SCOTUScare.

Perhaps the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act will attain the enduring status of the Social Security Act or the Taft-Hartley Act; perhaps not. But this Court’s two decisions on the Act will surely be remembered through the years. The somersaults of statutory interpretation they have performed (“penalty” means tax, “further [Medicaid] payments to the State” means only incremental Medicaid payments to the State, “established by the State” means not established by the State) will be cited by litigants endlessly, to the confusion of honest jurisprudence. And the cases will publish forever the discouraging truth that the Supreme Court of the United States favors some laws over others, and is prepared to do whatever it takes to uphold and assist its favorites. I dissent.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
As always, Scalia is spot on. On the positive side, it takes this mess off the table somewhat for 2016 (a Plan B in case it was struck down that neither the Ds or Rs had a fix for). Now they can focus on which side they are on, repeal or retain, and that needs to go to the Legislative and Executive branches for resolution. Alas, I fear the ACA is like Herpes now...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Agreed, but I'm afraid that the court's admission that it is no longer in the judicial business is a larger problem than the ACA.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Agreed, but I'm afraid that the court's admission that it is no longer in the judicial business is a larger problem than the ACA.

This ! in F'n Spades !

.... like tears in the rain
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Concur as well and a perfect Segway into my "it's over" thread...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook

This ! in F'n Spades !

Plus everything.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Justice Scalia's dissent of today's Supreme Court ruling on the ACA.
And the cases will publish forever the discouraging truth that the Supreme Court of the United States favors some laws over others, and is prepared to do whatever it takes to uphold and assist its favorites. I dissent.

It is extremely important that he stated this and it is recorded forever in his dissent.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is good news for Republicans as it takes this issue off the table for now, and by next year millions of voters will be suffering under huge premium increases for Obama care. The only way for voters to fix it will be to elect even more Republicans to congress along with a Republican president.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Once again in '16 the Republicans will make promises to do what's needed and then after the election let the leadership bully them into giving the country away.
The crybaby and the bug eyed fat man have to go.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i 've always lived by laws i thought were just, and ignored the rest.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MacLorry
This is good news for Republicans as it takes this issue off the table for now, and by next year millions of voters will be suffering under huge premium increases for Obama care. The only way for voters to fix it will be to elect even more Republicans to congress along with a Republican president.

Well...... maybe......... but do you think electing more Republicans is gonna help US ?

We were supposed to elect Bush so we would get real Judges on the S.C.

How's THAT workin'out for you?

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beats Sotomayer and Kegan.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by curdog4570

Well...... maybe......... but do you think electing more Republicans is gonna help US ?

Anthony Kennedy, appointed by Bush I, has been the most destructive Supreme Court justice (destructive of the Constitution) since 4ager's hero, William Brennan.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wish SteveNO was still around so he could explain to us how Roberts REALLY did us a huge favor in todays ruling.

That's what he did last go-round. But I've forgotten just how we were gonna benefit from it.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I'll give you your due, and Repubs havent helped matters any since Bush 2

.... like tears in the rain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Supreme Court once more saves the Congress and the Senate from having to make unpopular decisions that might get elected excrement voted out of office.
It's a safe bet that all three divisions of our central government is united to subverting the constitution to what ever the progressives want.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Well, the only alternative is electing some 3rd party and they would need to be in the majority to do anything. So How's THAT working out for you?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,503
Posts18,452,541
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.