Page 1 of 2 1 2
#10064146 06/25/15
B
beretzs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Well, for about a year now I have been fighting my Alaskan to shoot the 225 PT. Really like the bullet a ton, and it does well, most of the time, but I kept getting a random flier out of a group. Thought it was the bedding, redid that.. Still shows up. SOOOO, I loaded up some of my old loads with the 200 AB, 76.5 grains of RL19, CCI250's and WW cases, I haven't shot any of them since I put the McMillan on the rifle.. I shot the first three, no bug hole sorta group, but seemed consistent, well I let the rifle cool down and shot three more.

[Linked Image]

All of them clustered around the same POI and I thought to myself, there ain't nothing wrong with the rifle. I know the PT's will shoot, but I think I need to rework them a little. Might try a 225 Swift and see what happens with it.

I had a couple of the 200's leftover, I was hot, tired and ready to get home, but I decided to sling up over my pack and see what they did at 200..

[Linked Image]

Hmmm, sometimes I wonder why I fight myself so much.. :lol:

It's not like the 200 grain load is anemic, it runs them out around 3050 and I am sure no elk could tell the difference. Either way, when your rifle tells you it wants something, my best advice is to listen.. :mrgreen:

Semper Fi
BP-B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Looking Good Scotty. That there is some potent elk medicine!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My long gone .338 Alaskan would put three Speer 275gr. RN into one ragged hole at 100 yds., it had a Canjar trigger that had been installed by a previous owner. It was hands down the most accurate pre'64 M/70 I've ever owned.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The 338 is hard to beat. I've taken a lot of big critters with one and never had any problems. Just bought a minty Pre64 338 this afternoon. smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Very nice Scotty. I wonder what the issue is with the 225 partition???? Maybe seating depth?? Those 338's are pretty bad azzed...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice shooting, Scotty! You have to love the 338!! I can't get mine soon enough. This wait is killing me! laugh

Eric

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Eric, I'm thinking yours will be worth the wait.. grin. After Mr. Similion puts the finishing touches on it, you'll be damn happy I'm sure. I can't wait to see how it shoots for you.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm wondering if winpoor is going to give us a range report on his new 338?????

BSA MAGA
B
beretzs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Very nice Scotty. I wonder what the issue is with the 225 partition???? Maybe seating depth?? Those 338's are pretty bad azzed...

I believe it is BSA. Just something I need to work on a little more. I was fighting it a little, needed to drop back and make sure everything with the rifle/scope were okay. This rifle is very accurate, one of the best, excellent trigger as well.

Originally Posted by EricM
Nice shooting, Scotty! You have to love the 338!! I can't get mine soon enough. This wait is killing me! laugh

Eric

Eric, I believe you are going to really enjoy yours when you get it back. Nothing much better to me than a good 338. Near or far, it gets it done and you very rarely have to wonder if you have enough to get it done!

Semper Fi
B
beretzs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm wondering if winpoor is going to give us a range report on his new 338?????

Man, I am behind, I'd love to see some pictures of that new one. He doesn't buy ugly Pre64's!

Semper Fi
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
No he doesn't and this one is supposed to be new in the box, but without the box... laugh

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
THE finest serious big game and wilderness working rifle ever made in the USA and one of my all-time favourites.

With a few simple mods, only a custom Brno ZG or Dakota 76 is superior and only in a few details.

All four of my current P-64 Alaskan .338WM rifles shoot the 250 NP over 76-RE-22 or 70-H-4350 into sub-moa clusters at 2750+, what more can one want for all around use.

The only problem with them is that they were not produced in sufficient number.

B
beretzs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SNAP
THE finest serious big game and wilderness working rifle ever made in the USA and one of my all-time favourites.

With a few simple mods, only a custom Brno ZG or Dakota 76 is superior and only in a few details.

All four of my current P-64 Alaskan .338WM rifles shoot the 250 NP over 76-RE-22 or 70-H-4350 into sub-moa clusters at 2750+, what more can one want for all around use.

The only problem with them is that they were not produced in sufficient number.

Man, I can't really agree more...

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Scotty, sometimes I wonder if you, me and Dewey are the only ones that like/love the 338 win mag. I think RGK and Razz and maybe GSPfan may have one as well, but they don't talk about theirs much. When I go elk hunting, that's the only rifle/cartridge on my mind (besides my old trusty 06). I also don't think winpoor has shot his 338 yet, unless I missed his range report on that particular rifle. I'm like EricM and waiting to see what his new 338 is going to look like. I already know first hand that it is a shooter. It didn't seem to be finicky either. That rifle was very nicely pillar bedded though so it was extremely consistent, but never shot as well as the '51 30-06 I sold to him. Funny thing was that it reminded me so much of the '51, that I kept expecting it to shoot bug hole groups. I don't think I ever got a nice cloverleaf group with that rifle, but it averaged about 1 1/4 moa. 3 shot groups. We'll see if Mr. Gene Simillion can work his magic on that rifle with that beautiful Echols legend. I can't wait to see it!!!

beretzs, I know your rifle is a terrific shooter. I've seen your targets on the internet and they led me to the Nosler forum a time or 2. If I remember correctly, it really liked the 210 partition and 200 accubond. I'm wondering what it would shoot like with a stiff load like Kutenay suggested (250gr. nosler partition)?? Mine have always loved 250gr. sierra gamekings and they do work well on elk. BC's and trajectory of that particular bullet in the 338 win mag isn't too shabby either. Keep us posted on how your rifle performs. Good luck with your elk hunting this year my friend..

BSA MAGA
B
beretzs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
It shoots the 250 PT with RL22 real well and just under 2800 if I remember correctly. Haven't reshot any of them since I've restocked it but I'd actually expect it to be a bit better now. It also did real well with the old Speer 275 Semi-Spitzers and RL22.

I've got a slew of 250 PTs just haven't ran them in a few years since the 210 PT was just about as flat as a 300 Magnum and penetrates very well. I'm sure most any decent will shoot but I need to spend a little more time with the 225's. Just haven't tweaked them the way I know I could.

I can't really find any reason not to like anything from a 200 on up to the 275's in the 338. Seems like if they are built decent at all they will all keep trucking through an elk.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
bsa: My 2 cents worth on this issue. Up until a few years ago, I didn't hunt for larger critters, or in areas where they were. Then started hunting Alaska. I bought my .300 WM thinking it would be about perfect for that but when it didn't shoot well because the barrel was burned out, I decided to re-barrel. My logical choices in that it had the magnum bolt face was another .300 or a .338. I chose the .300 for 2 reasons: 1) I'm probably not as good a shot as some of you guys, so recoil certainly is a factor with me. 2) however, based on everything I've read, from the men who are genuninely experienced in this area, such as Phil Shoemaker in Alaska whom my son works for, is that it isn't until you get up into the .375 and above class of cartridge that you see any noticable difference in killing. I know many here will no doubt say that is not true, but I suspect it is. I'm more of the "correctly placed well constructed bullet" mindset than needing more horsepower.

I do have a pre-64 .338 I could use, but for me, my re-barrelled .300, also a pre-64, is something I'm good with. If I have the chance to go back to Alaska for a big bear, I would likely haul along the .300 again. I'm taking it for elk this year and in no way feel undergunned. If you look beyond what you read and find what many people who live in the areas they can hunt the big ones every year, that they have used successfully on really nasty animals, often you find rather small cartridges that most of us would not think enough.

But like I said, just my 2 cents worth. Always enjoy reading you guys stuff.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
bsa: 1) I'm probably not as good a shot as some of you guys, so recoil certainly is a factor with me.

Funny, I have found the 300 magnums to be more unpleasant to shoot than the .338 and .375. In fact, my first center fire, a 700 ADL in 06 felt worse than my 338 and 375.

Who is John Galt?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mrfudd
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
bsa: 1) I'm probably not as good a shot as some of you guys, so recoil certainly is a factor with me.

Funny, I have found the 300 magnums to be more unpleasant to shoot than the .338 and .375. In fact, my first center fire, a 700 ADL in 06 felt worse than my 338 and 375.

I've had rifles that were mirror images of each other and found the same thing as you. 300 definitely kicked more. Guys here don't get it though. The 300 win mag has a capacity of 93.8 grains H2O and the 338 win mag 86gr. H2O capacity. I've shot same same rifles side by side and thought the 300 had a sharper kick while the 338 and 375 had more of a push. Call me crazy too... I also see more benefit in having a good 338 over a 300 win mag: 338 with the right bullets will shoot almost as flat as a 300, but the 338 can fling heavier bullets for bigger animals. I just see it as a more versatile cartridge. In the hands of a capable hunter, either will work but I'd feel more confident with a big heavy bullet from the 338 than a lesser one from a 300 magnum. I know on elk, I've seen the 338 put them down quicker than any 300 magnum. However, every elk is different. Maybe the elk I shot with my 338 were just big puzzies, because they just didn't make it any more than 1 step. Nothing else I've used has effected them like that. Not even the 9.3x62mm with 286gr. partitions... wink ... Get ready for the chit storm to come down on us by the guys that have not had a chance to compare similar rifles side by side... wink whistle

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Scotty, sometimes I wonder if you, me and Dewey are the only ones that like/love the 338 win mag. I think RGK and Razz and maybe GSPfan may have one as well, but they don't talk about theirs much...

I too love my 338! The Alaskan I picked up this year really likes 225 Partitions pushed by 72.5 gr RL19. Groups under 1 inch all day long, best is just under 0.70 for 3 shots. There is a pic of the group in one of my posts here. My previous 338 was from another maker, stainless and plastic, heart less bitch with no warmth to cuddle up to, but boy could she shoot! 210 Partions fueled by 76.5 gr RL19 and chrono'd at 2955 fps. Accounted for a couple elk and one mule deer. Sold the gun to my son's room mate up in Wyo and he's hoping to fil his tags with it this year.
We didn't pull Elk archery tags this year so we picked up antlerless tags here in NM. Have some friends joining us from back east so I may not take my 338 this trip, still undecided. i have an 1890 vintage 1886 in 40/82 that I would love to dump an elk with.

Not to worry though, the 338 Alaskan will be my go to for my NM Safari. I pulled a once in a lifetime Oryx tag on White Sands this coming January. The 338 is just the medicine the doctor ordered.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a 338 wsm built on a Winchesters stainless classic and that thing is very comfortable to shoot. I use a 67.0 gr RL17 fed 210 with a 225gr nosler accubond and I'm getting 2860 fps with it. Now 300 win mags those things make me hurt, I recently picked up a nib ruger 77 mkii in a 300 win mag don't ask why I got it. I tell myself because I have a problem and can't pass up good deals. If anything good trading material or maybe I will build on the courage to shoot it smile Like others have said I will take a 338 over a 300 mag anything well the exception being the 300 H&H.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
178 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 22 invisible), 2,038 guests, and 976 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.