Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I normally fish still water for bluegills and bass but I went with a friend to the smokies up in N.C.. We fishe a small mountain stream called Big Creek that is a tributary to the Pigeon River that flows through Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. I had never fished for wild trout and learned quite a bit on my first trip. They won't touch a dryfly that is being pulled by the current on your line, thus my first lesson in mending. Second I thought a short rod would be better as the sides are a bit brushy but turns out I think a long rod would be better so you can hold your line off the water better and get a better drift. I caught a rainbow and a brook so at least I didn't get skunked.

I now understand more about trout fishing and had a awesome time, besides trying to wade up that creek. It was like trying to walk on greasy bowling balls went down face first once, gotta get me some of those felt bottomed wading boots.

With all that said and with Tenkara being so popular among bushcraft guys here in the east I was thinking a Tenkara rod would be the perfect tool to help negotiate the small eddies with several current speeds in your path. I think the long rod length would alow the line to be held up off the surface so the places with multple current speeds could be handled better. Your thoughts or experience?

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
GB2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm a big fan of longer rods for exactly the reasons you mentioned. You have far greater line control with a long rod versus a shorter rod and it applies to not only fly fishing but also bait fishing where a dead drift is the key.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Its a simple way to fly fish, I fish a 12 rod myself, at times its great, but I have in recent months dusted off an old 7' 6" Powell Rod for a 4wt- DT and a Furled leader, I can control the bigger browns that are in my home waters- for the smaller fish tenkara is a good way to enjoy a day on the stream, If anything we need rain, its been dry! and till a few days ago, rather cool, last couple of days been pretty hot for this summer, but the trout been taking 14 and 16 Letort Hoppers with out much trouble, caught a 17 inch brown yesterday evening that was dumped in the stream I like to fish as a fingerling some years back, not a mark on him! He was one of a 17 fish evening- Brookies and browns. Thin water, made for some interesting approaches and casts!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Tenkara fishing is not fly fishing. Yes, you are using flies, but you can do that with a spinning rod and a bobber.

Fly fishing takes a good bit of time to master but it's worth it. Get a 9" 5 weight and don't look back.

Go on "The Drake" message board and see what they think of the Tenkara.

Best quote I saw:

"I understand why local shops sell Tenkara. If I owned a liquor store, I would sell Zima. No use sitting behind the counter complaining about dudes in jean shorts and cross trainers.....just take their money, by selling them Tenkara rods, in 1996." smile

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I just bit the bullet and ordered a tenkara rod. I like traditional fly fishing. No way I'm giving up my regular fly rods. However, it is very hard to find a traditional rod that has sections under 12 inches long so it can fit inside my pack where it is protected. It will be the right tool for some jobs.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
If you hook a big fish on a Tenkara, I assure you it's not cheating. My son fishes with one often. I think they're perfect for the back country.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Been flyfishing for 25 years and love all of it. But on a 7 day backpacking trip I bought and used a Tenkara and it was a real hoot loved that too. Would always use a tenkara now on backpacking trips but its back to the normal flyrods for everything else.

Still trying to be the Man my dogs think I am
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kscowboy01
Tenkara fishing is not fly fishing. Yes, you are using flies, but you can do that with a spinning rod and a bobber.

Fly fishing takes a good bit of time to master but it's worth it. Get a 9" 5 weight and don't look back.

Go on "The Drake" message board and see what they think of the Tenkara.

Best quote I saw:

"I understand why local shops sell Tenkara. If I owned a liquor store, I would sell Zima. No use sitting behind the counter complaining about dudes in jean shorts and cross trainers.....just take their money, by selling them Tenkara rods, in 1996." smile

Utter horsechit.

The 9' 5 wt (or in those streams, and I'm quite familiar with them, an 8' 3 or wt, or even shorter) is a good way to go, but Tenkara is absolutely flyfishing and it cannot be done similarly with a spinning rod and bobber.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O

Mostly I like 2 & 3 wt rods for smaller streams.

Wouldn't mind trying this Tenkara game some time when I run out of other hobbies. I honestly would go to one of the Sage 0 weights if I was looking for a new rod today.

A good friend has one that I have fished several times and it really is fun for smaller streams and their fish.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
703 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 82 invisible), 2,736 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,948
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.