Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#10066386 06/25/15
1flier Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Nine people on board, went down in Misty Fiords near KTN. No word on survivors yet.

Black Olives Matter!!
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ADN/Alaka Dispatch has already reported all nine aboard died. Was a flight-seeing trip from a Holland America Tour Ship.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
http://www.adn.com/article/20150625/nine-dead-southeast-alaska-plane-crash

Aviation
Nine dead in Southeast Alaska plane crash
Tegan Hanlon
June 25, 2015

An image from an FAA webcam in Misty Fjords taken around the estimated time of the crash
Federal Aviation Administration
Update, 7:55 p.m.: NTSB Alaska chief Clint Johnson has confirmed all nine people aboard the plane died.

Original story:

A floatplane carrying nine people, eight of them passengers on a Holland America Line cruise ship, crashed Thursday afternoon near Ketchikan, according to the cruise line and troopers.

RELATED:
Pilot's body found amid wreckage of Southwest Alaska plane crash
Troopers in Ketchikan got a report of an overdue aircraft at 2:06 p.m. Thursday. A pilot with Temsco Helicopters then saw the downed plane about 800 feet above Ella Lake against a granite rock face in the Misty Fjords area, troopers said in an online dispatch.

Holland America Line said in statement that the plane was in an accident about 20 miles northeast of Ketchikan. The plane was a turboprop de Havilland Otter, according to Petty Officer 1st Class Kelly Parker with the U.S. Coast Guard.

The plane, owned by Promech Air, a charter and flightseeing service in Southeast Alaska, was operating a shore excursion sold through Holland America Line, said the statement from the cruise line.

"We are incredibly distressed by this situation, and our thoughts and prayers are with those onboard the plane and their families," the statement said. "Holland America Line is extending its full support to traveling companions of the guests involved."

The eight passengers aboard the plane had been aboard the Westerdam on a seven-day round-trip cruise that left Seattle on June 20, the statement said.

Troopers said the National Transportation Safety Board and the Federal Aviation Administration have been notified. Troopers, the Coast Guard and the Ketchikan Volunteer Rescue Squad were responding, troopers said.

Around 4:50 p.m., troopers said the status of those aboard the plane was unknown and their families had not yet been told of the situation.

A Promech Air representative declined to provide immediate comment. According to Promech's website, the company provides flightseeing tours to Misty Fjords National Monument and Neets Bay Salmon Hatchery.

Contact Tegan Hanlon at thanlonalaskadispatch.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Taquaan Air did the same thing/same location a few years back. That lead to them closing shop IIRC.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Taquaan still delivers UPS to us. Most of us here have flown on that plane at one point in time. RIP to the passengers/pilot.

IC B2

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Why did it go down?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by sse
Why did it go down?

Let's see - plane found "against a granite rock face". My money is on: plane went into a cloud bank, pilot get disoriented, pilot panics and doesn't have an escape plan. Smacks into granite wall. I thought all these planes were Capstone equipped. Should be able to avoid this kind of stuff if you can use this technology.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Terrible news. I have friends that own and fly out of Ketchikan so I've been folowing this closely. Not their outfit but heartbreaking all the same.

Prayers for all involved

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For what it's worth, many of the promech pilots come from the Keys in Florida and some of them have little to zero experience flying in Alaska. Still a terrible deal though. They had a beaver go down last year.

Taquaan is still very much in business, they fly all over the place.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Taquan is in business and doing fine. You are right about Promech and the keys. We have friend that flys for Promech and he is a bush pilot but most ain't. Sad situation

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yup. I have flown with Charlie quite a few times, I used to work out at Neets Bay and they fly tourists to the bear tours out there. Charlie was in the beaver that went down last year, he was a good pilot though. Everyone survived that trip through the trees. Have they released the pilot's name yet?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Does Island Air still operate down there?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I was just flying around there with Island Air a few weeks ago. Terrible news...

Brandon Gleason
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sad news. RIP

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyone who has flown in the less settled parts of Alaska and never had a ‘close one’ probably hasn’t really flown much or for long.....and you don’t always know how close you’ve been to ‘cumulus granite’, as some have been known to call it.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It was super foggy yesterday afternoon and the route they take goes up and over quite a few mountains.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Big difference between a pilot and a bush pilot. A pilot needs only money to become one. I'm not at liberty to say more

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best bush pilot I ever flew with was up in the interior. The craziest was/is down here in Ketchikan. I trust them both with my life though. Very different styles.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I saw a crazy goof on Kodiak last fall. Would never fly with him.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

425 members (10gaugeman, 22kHornet, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 36 invisible), 1,910 guests, and 1,074 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,390
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.