Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
plenty of big bear in my area when the food is here. if anyone plants corn the bears will distroy it.

here is what we pay in va.

resident state hunting..23.00
resident bear ,deer,turkey..23.00 this year 23.00 for deer and turkey
resident archery..18.00
resident muzzleloader..18.00
plus national forest is 5.00
this year 20.00 for bear.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There are a few bears around my area, in fact about 10 years ago, a small one carried off a rabbit cage, with rabbit, from my neighbors' yard. I buy a stamp every year, just in case I see a big one, but I'm not certain I really want one, as shooting a bear is a pretty big commitment for an old fat man that usually hunts alone these days.

Actually, the only wild bear I've ever seen was trying to cross U.S. 50 just West of the toney Northern Virginia suburban town of Middleburg. He took his time, looked both ways repeatedly, and waited for a break in the traffic, before sprinting across the highway. I've never seen a wild animal display that much reasoning power before.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
$84. for a full years hunting and your bitching about $20. Combined with the fact there are plenty of Bears. Wake up Rip, it is 2015.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
its really not the 20.00 ,its the fact that because of the change the bear population only grow when we already have to many in parts of va. we thought they would increase the amount of bear tags in our counties where there are to many bear. by making it an extra fee to kill a bear we will have more bear then ever.before long we will have no deer and no hunters.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The deer kill is down all over VA. The DGIF blames (credits) the increased antlerless kill and disease. No mention of bears or other predators. Personally, I suspect coyotes take more than bears and they are on the increase everywhere.

My younger son lives outside Front Royal and they have lots of everything: deer, coyotes, bears, and turkeys. No bears have been taken yet, but the deer remain plentiful and pretty big. They kill a LOT of deer in that immediate area, enough that they almost never buy beef.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
actually the vdgif is telling us now that in the mountains studies are showing just as many fawns are being killed by bears as coyotes.they've also said that the bear population is growing 10% ever 3-4 years along the blue ridge. most counties along the west virginia 10-15yrs ago only had a few bear killed per season. now the bear kills are way up in those counties. for over 10 yrs they trapped problem bear where i live and relocated them to the counties to the west. now problem bears are being put to sleep.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I only hunt on my land now because of increasing prices of licenses. If I was still hunting in other areas I would buy the tag. I get 5 or 6 different bears on the trail cam every year but they are never around in season.

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
I backpack into the GWNF near Powels Fort for a week or more each year to hunt deer and grouse. The last few years, I have seen ALOT more bear than ever. Being solo 3-4 miles from my truck, I have not shot 1. I have watched them play, fight and forage. I also had a tense stand off with a mother and cubs when I only had a single six with me. The bear population has exploded in the last few years. 2 years ago, I took my wife to the Marriott Ranch outside of Front Royal, to go horseback riding. While we were waiting with a bunch of yuppees from DC, watching a doe and a fawn, a bear charged out of the woods and killed the fawn right in front of us. Last spring, a man and his dog were attacked and mauled in the GWNF by my house west of Strasburg. I hope the VADGF knows what they're doing. Bears need to be managed better in Va, but I would hate to see this game animal reduced to a nuisance animal. Which will happen if the $20 deters the locals from shooting them.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Do you know what the non-resident tag costs?

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MagMarc
I only hunt on my land now because of increasing prices of licenses. If I was still hunting in other areas I would buy the tag. I get 5 or 6 different bears on the trail cam every year but they are never around in season.

Do you think they head for the remote areas when the deer seasons open or are just laying low where they are?

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My land borders about 10,000 acres of nothing and the guy that owns behind me borders a WMA. They move back in there in the early fall.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last year, I paid $225 for an out of state hunting license to hunt in Virginia. The sad part is that I stay at my farm, and only hunt the farm that borders my farm, but since I live out of state, I have to pay the out of state fee...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rolltide
Last year, I paid $225 for an out of state hunting license to hunt in Virginia. The sad part is that I stay at my farm, and only hunt the farm that borders my farm, but since I live out of state, I have to pay the out of state fee...

If you're a landowner in VA, you might want to double check those regs again as to what you have to be paying.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (11point, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,689
Posts18,399,819
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.