-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I keep one in each buttoned or zipped front pocket of whatever I'm wearing, unless I'm wearing my Filson vest or coat, both of which have nice "pen" loops on one breast pocket.

I also have a nice Browning camo coat that has flip-out carriers for shotshells and rifle ammo in the side pockets, but it's pretty bulky, so doesn't get worn much.

Last edited by Pappy348; 06/27/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Originally Posted by mudhen
Never had one of those "elasticated" butt stock holders that would retain all the rounds that I put in it at the start of a day of hunting. I hunt with a couple of oddball cartridges and brass is not easy to come by, much less loaded ammunition.

Triad Tactical makes a nice stock pack with the ammo loops inside of the zip up pouch.

When ordering, there is a selection tab for either external (default choice shown) or toggle it to select internal loops. The cheek rest is made of ultra suede rather than rubber, so it does not cause the cheek to sweat, which is nice. He also supplies some velcro strips to build up the pad height. It's not as heavy of gauge of fabric as an Eagle stock pack, but it is sturdy enough and reasonably priced.

Overall, it is a nice piece of kit for a reasonable price.

http://www.triadtactical.com/Triad-Stock-Pack.html

[Linked Image]

Not a stock purse fan, most especially in the rain.

I think just about everything I wear whilst hunting has a pocket, I jam a few extras in one of those pockets. Never saw much sense in buying MORE shiet when God gave me clothing with pockets.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Elastic butt cuff works ok, as do the slings that hold 4 extra rounds. I like the cuff for a fridge that I may have to 'grab and go' such as a camp gun. I prefer leather military slings, so I don't use the ammo sling, but my daughter does and she likes it.

I like the Federal plastic cartridge sleeves that they pack their ammo in. It holds the ammo tight so it doesn't fall out, and it prevents rattles. I suppose you can even thread it on your belt, although I never have. They fit on the pocket just fine, and can be trimmed down with a knife to alter capacity if 10 rounds are too many. Best of all they are essentially free.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the butt cuff type. If I screw up and grab the wrong stuff I still have some ammo. Otherwise it is just some spare. I store a spare scope battery under the cuff on my turkey gun.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Simple soul here. Since I routinely carry spare silk or poly glove liners anyway, I just slide a cartridge into each finger/thumb and stick them in a pocket or pack. 10 round, no rattles.

[Linked Image]

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Extra mag in my front pocket and butt cuff.

[Linked Image]

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hunting vest holds 6 cartridges and rifle holds 6 cartridges. How many more does a guy need to carry?? wink.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will admit I ran out of bullet on a moose hunt one time had 13 rounds with me after it was all said an done I was out. Rest of the ammo was back in camp. I have said its easy to kill a moose but man they can be a bitch to hit sometimes smile

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't remember ever draining a magazine, but do carry a few in one of those red plastic holders that Federal cartridges came in.
Fits in my right back pocket.
If I left camp without extra ammo, I wouldn't go back to get it.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I remember hunting with my Grandpa one year.It took me two rounds to kill a deer.He looked at me shaking his head in disgust and muttered damn kid must tink I am made of money.He never carried more than two rounds in his rifle and they both better count.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Huntz
I remember hunting with my Grandpa one year.It took me two rounds to kill a deer.He looked at me shaking his head in disgust and muttered damn kid must tink I am made of money.He never carried more than two rounds in his rifle and they both better count.
Friend here in the valley grew up during the depression. His dad got a job bossing a CCC crew that was building a road through a unit of the Coronado National Forest in the Peloncillo Mountains south of here. Edward said that his dad gave him a box of 50 .22 long rifle cartridges and a Remington pump and told him to kill a deer every day to feed the crew. He claims that he killed 49 deer (mostly Coues whitetails, but a few were desert mule deer) with that box of ammo. He also claims that his dad gave him a hard time for years about wasting that one shell. Having seen Edward shoot now, for over 20 years, I believe him.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I carry twelve rounds on me, four in the rifle's magazine and eight in a leather folding pouch that's on my belt along with a folding knife and an led flashlight. So if I've got my pants on, I always have those three important items.

Last edited by super T; 06/27/15.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Originally Posted by mudhen
Never had one of those "elasticated" butt stock holders that would retain all the rounds that I put in it at the start of a day of hunting. I hunt with a couple of oddball cartridges and brass is not easy to come by, much less loaded ammunition.

Triad Tactical makes a nice stock pack with the ammo loops inside of the zip up pouch.

When ordering, there is a selection tab for either external (default choice shown) or toggle it to select internal loops. The cheek rest is made of ultra suede rather than rubber, so it does not cause the cheek to sweat, which is nice. He also supplies some velcro strips to build up the pad height. It's not as heavy of gauge of fabric as an Eagle stock pack, but it is sturdy enough and reasonably priced.

Overall, it is a nice piece of kit for a reasonable price.

http://www.triadtactical.com/Triad-Stock-Pack.html

[Linked Image]

typically, elasticated cuffs that slips over the butt of the rifle are the best way to loose ammo that I have ever seen. A pocket full of bullets can be heard for hundreds of yards by some animals. Also, ammo in the pocket can pick up grit, dirt, moisture, and when placed in the chamber, can and will rust a chamber if there is moisture. Triad's item is a nice one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I never got into the stock band ammo carrier but use a leather ammo wallet on my left side (left handed). That holds eight, I start out with a full magazine but chamber empty and carry another three or four, individually, in various pockets.

That gives me roughly three-quarters of a box and I've never (yet) needed more than that in any day of big game hunting.

I did go on a thousand mile, western elk hunt once with only three rounds but that's another story.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Simple soul here. Since I routinely carry spare silk or poly glove liners anyway, I just slide a cartridge into each finger/thumb and stick them in a pocket or pack. 10 round, no rattles.

[Linked Image]

Handy! 😎

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Normally pants pocket if they are deep enough they will not fall out. If not there a jacket pocket holds 4 or 5. Maybe a shirt pocket. Wherever seems like a good place at the moment is where they go. Do occasionally check to be sure they haven't wondered away.

I have yet to know of a Deer that was spooked by them rattling. Perhaps one has and I wasn't aware.

At the end of the day they end up on the center console of the truck.

Last edited by battue; 06/27/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
9-round butt cuff. 4 down in the magazine. 13 total.

Stays in the truck all season, when I grab the gun and go I never have to worry about having plenty of correct ammo.

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
All,

Looks like the wallet style ammo carriers are really popular. I already have a small flashlight, folding knife and a Leatherman Wave on my belt so I don't think that option is for me. I have a sling with pouches that hold 3 rounds each for a total of 9. The velcro on the flaps is worn but I think it will be easy to replace. I'm a big fan of keeping extra ammo on the gun as that's what was ingrained into us while I was a Sheriff's deputy.

Lot's of options and I love reading about them all. Please keep them coming!

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I load up 10 rounds only, during hunting season for the rifles I will be using...4 go in the rifle when hunting and the other 6 reside in my right pants pocket in the field...more often than not tho, 3 in my right pants pocket and the other 3 get left in the zip lock bag and left in the vehicle trunk, so that some methhead doesn't break into the vehicle to swipe them....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Journeyman

[Linked Image]

that's a pretty darn good idea!!!!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 12344mag, 47 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,961
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.