Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
MD,
Last fall I posed a thread asking the campfire how they carry extra ammo in the field. I'm sure you have tried many options and was wondering which way is your favorite?

Thanks in advance for your response,

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Elk, not John but I've always carried extra ammo in an ammo wallet. It's the size of a wallet and folds out w/two sides and there are cartridge loops on each side. I usually carry a full rifle and 8 extra cartridges in the wallet. It has a Velcro strap to keep it closed and fits nicely into a fanny pack or your bare pocket(front or back). IF I CAN'T GET IT DONE W/12 CARTRIDGES...WELL YOU KNOW. powdr

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I usually use something similar, though usually a model that slides onto my belt. Keep it on the right side of my waist where rounds are handy to grab with my right hand (am right-handed). Also keep a couple of individual rounds in pockets, especially when using a single-shot, when I keep at least one in one of the chest pockets of my shirt or jacket.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Besides the magazine and one up the spout I carry an additional equal qty in my left shirt pocket (if it is a button down flap). That means I usually have 4 rounds in the rifle and 4 in my pocket. In the truck or in my day pack will be an additional 12-15 rounds.

Rarely need more than one round.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
The cartridge wallet on the belt seems to be the favored method. Mine holds 10 rounds. With 4 in the magazine, that's enough. I don't like carrying them in a pocket because they might jingle and spook game.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
Besides the magazine and one up the spout I carry an additional equal qty in my left shirt pocket (if it is a button down flap). That means I usually have 4 rounds in the rifle and 4 in my pocket. In the truck or in my day pack will be an additional 12-15 rounds.

Rarely need more than one round.

^^^This^^^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use the fold-down ammo wallet on the belt with five loops on each half, and a loaded magazine. Sometimes I only carry eight in the ammo wallet, especially if the rifle magazine will take four or five down. I don't chamber a round until I am actually hunting. I usually have the remainder of a twenty-round box in the day pack, just in case. Weird things have been known to happen...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mudhen
I don't chamber a round until I am actually hunting.

^^^This^^^ and it would probably prevent 95% of all the so called hunting "accidents"!

Last edited by chlinstructor; 06/26/15.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Indy,

I don't carry more than one round in a shirt, coat or pants pocket, because a single round can't clink against another. Have found one round in a chest pocket on a shirt or coat to really come in handy on occasion.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
FWIW I prefer one of those elasticated cuffs that slips over the butt of the rifle. I find it a lot faster to access than something on the belt or a pocket, and especially handy for my single shot or double rifle. Sometimes, such as when culling, it is very handy to be able to access extra rounds quickly.

Another trick, for when you want to have a few more in a pocket, is to use a stripper clip of an appropriate size. For example, a Mauser stripper clip for rounds of the right head size, or a .303 stripper clip for, say, 7x57R or 9.3x74R (or .303 of course). Not to load using the clip, but because it holds 5 rounds in your pocket without them jingling together.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Used to carry all kinds of ways for quick access.

These days I carry an extra box in some type of MTM plastic box, in the top of my backpack.

I've yet to see the need for more than whats in the gun, in an instant anyway.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
dan,

I've only used one of those buttstock bands on single-shots. Once in particular was a few years ago in Botswana, where my primary rifle was a Ruger No. 1 .375 H&H. Had the band filled with three different 300-grain loads: solids, easy-opening soft-noses for plain game, and Fail Safes for buffalo. It made using the right load for the situation easy.

John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If I'm out of a day hike/hunt I always keep 5 extra rounds(in my pocket) in one of the slim leather holders(Boyt's?).

That way if I drop my pack to go on a sneak and end up having a chitshow I have the ammo with me and not in the pack.

Otherwise I always just keep an extra 5 or 20 round on the dash.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I got in the habit of keeping more ammo on my person back when I was guiding. Never knew when somebody would put a bullet in the guts or leg, even if the guy shot pretty well at paper.

A lot of this was due to most of the people being guided coming from east of the Mississippi, and had no clue about shooting much beyond 150 yards, or shooting in the wind. In fact they would often argue with me about the range. This was before laser rangefinders and I used the reticle in my scope to estimate a much better idea of range than THEY did.

But many wouldn't believe me. Odd how somebody who's never even seen a pronghorn or mule deer before can know exactly how far away it is. Sometimes they were sure the animal was a lot closer, especially antelope, because they're so brightly colored, but sometimes they were convinced they were even further away. And sometimes they had no clue where their rifle shot beyond 150-200 yards.

There were some rodeos, because trying to get another bullet in a pronghorn that's packing a leg can eat up some ammo. And a lot of the guys wouldn't have any extra ammo on them, so I made sure some was on me, so I could either finishing the animal off myself, or let them use my rifle.

Can't recall needing more than one or two extra rounds after the first shot myself for a long time, and those have been finishing or insurance shots, since the first one was good. But old habits die hard, and I've found being prepared better than the alternative.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hunting in Florida is of course, different than being out in elk country. Swamps, palmetto thickets, pine forests and oak hammocks.
I have extra ammo in the truck, but don't carry a lot with me. I like a lever rifle, and 5 or 6 rounds has never been a handicap. The Marlin 1894S, .44 Mag holds 10.
Only on rare occassions have I needed more than two shots to bag a deer or hog.
I can reload when I get the animal back to the truck.

Sam......

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You guys carry your own extra ammo? I go looking for a homeless person on my way to go hunting and give him a bottle of Skullpop to carry my rifle and spare ammo into the woods for me. His old shopping cart comes in handy too, for carrying dead deer out of the woods.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Tried to talk my wife into that, but it didn't work.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never had one of those "elasticated" butt stock holders that would retain all the rounds that I put in it at the start of a day of hunting. I hunt with a couple of oddball cartridges and brass is not easy to come by, much less loaded ammunition.

Ben

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I don't carry more than one round in a shirt, coat or pants pocket, because a single round can't clink against another. Have found one round in a chest pocket on a shirt or coat to really come in handy on occasion.

+1

I've always had an ammo wallet on my belt with an additional 8-10 rounds. But I usually have 1-2 rounds in their own pocket since they are quicker (and quieter) to access when needed. And has been mentioned, a single round in a pocket has nothing to rattle against.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Never had one of those "elasticated" butt stock holders that would retain all the rounds that I put in it at the start of a day of hunting. I hunt with a couple of oddball cartridges and brass is not easy to come by, much less loaded ammunition.

Triad Tactical makes a nice stock pack with the ammo loops inside of the zip up pouch.

When ordering, there is a selection tab for either external (default choice shown) or toggle it to select internal loops. The cheek rest is made of ultra suede rather than rubber, so it does not cause the cheek to sweat, which is nice. He also supplies some velcro strips to build up the pad height. It's not as heavy of gauge of fabric as an Eagle stock pack, but it is sturdy enough and reasonably priced.

Overall, it is a nice piece of kit for a reasonable price.

http://www.triadtactical.com/Triad-Stock-Pack.html

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I keep one in each buttoned or zipped front pocket of whatever I'm wearing, unless I'm wearing my Filson vest or coat, both of which have nice "pen" loops on one breast pocket.

I also have a nice Browning camo coat that has flip-out carriers for shotshells and rifle ammo in the side pockets, but it's pretty bulky, so doesn't get worn much.

Last edited by Pappy348; 06/27/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by jeffbird

Triad Tactical makes a nice stock pack with the ammo loops inside of the zip up pouch.

When ordering, there is a selection tab for either external (default choice shown) or toggle it to select internal loops. The cheek rest is made of ultra suede rather than rubber, so it does not cause the cheek to sweat, which is nice. He also supplies some velcro strips to build up the pad height. It's not as heavy of gauge of fabric as an Eagle stock pack, but it is sturdy enough and reasonably priced.

[Linked Image]

Not a stock purse fan, most especially in the rain.

I think just about everything I wear whilst hunting has a pocket, I jam a few extras in one of those pockets. Never saw much sense in buying MORE shiet when God gave me clothing with pockets.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Elastic butt cuff works ok, as do the slings that hold 4 extra rounds. I like the cuff for a fridge that I may have to 'grab and go' such as a camp gun. I prefer leather military slings, so I don't use the ammo sling, but my daughter does and she likes it.

I like the Federal plastic cartridge sleeves that they pack their ammo in. It holds the ammo tight so it doesn't fall out, and it prevents rattles. I suppose you can even thread it on your belt, although I never have. They fit on the pocket just fine, and can be trimmed down with a knife to alter capacity if 10 rounds are too many. Best of all they are essentially free.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the butt cuff type. If I screw up and grab the wrong stuff I still have some ammo. Otherwise it is just some spare. I store a spare scope battery under the cuff on my turkey gun.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Simple soul here. Since I routinely carry spare silk or poly glove liners anyway, I just slide a cartridge into each finger/thumb and stick them in a pocket or pack. 10 round, no rattles.

[Linked Image]

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Extra mag in my front pocket and butt cuff.

[Linked Image]

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hunting vest holds 6 cartridges and rifle holds 6 cartridges. How many more does a guy need to carry?? wink.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will admit I ran out of bullet on a moose hunt one time had 13 rounds with me after it was all said an done I was out. Rest of the ammo was back in camp. I have said its easy to kill a moose but man they can be a bitch to hit sometimes smile

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't remember ever draining a magazine, but do carry a few in one of those red plastic holders that Federal cartridges came in.
Fits in my right back pocket.
If I left camp without extra ammo, I wouldn't go back to get it.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I remember hunting with my Grandpa one year.It took me two rounds to kill a deer.He looked at me shaking his head in disgust and muttered damn kid must tink I am made of money.He never carried more than two rounds in his rifle and they both better count.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Huntz
I remember hunting with my Grandpa one year.It took me two rounds to kill a deer.He looked at me shaking his head in disgust and muttered damn kid must tink I am made of money.He never carried more than two rounds in his rifle and they both better count.
Friend here in the valley grew up during the depression. His dad got a job bossing a CCC crew that was building a road through a unit of the Coronado National Forest in the Peloncillo Mountains south of here. Edward said that his dad gave him a box of 50 .22 long rifle cartridges and a Remington pump and told him to kill a deer every day to feed the crew. He claims that he killed 49 deer (mostly Coues whitetails, but a few were desert mule deer) with that box of ammo. He also claims that his dad gave him a hard time for years about wasting that one shell. Having seen Edward shoot now, for over 20 years, I believe him.

Ben

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I carry twelve rounds on me, four in the rifle's magazine and eight in a leather folding pouch that's on my belt along with a folding knife and an led flashlight. So if I've got my pants on, I always have those three important items.

Last edited by super T; 06/27/15.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by jeffbird

[Linked Image]

typically, elasticated cuffs that slips over the butt of the rifle are the best way to loose ammo that I have ever seen. A pocket full of bullets can be heard for hundreds of yards by some animals. Also, ammo in the pocket can pick up grit, dirt, moisture, and when placed in the chamber, can and will rust a chamber if there is moisture. Triad's item is a nice one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I never got into the stock band ammo carrier but use a leather ammo wallet on my left side (left handed). That holds eight, I start out with a full magazine but chamber empty and carry another three or four, individually, in various pockets.

That gives me roughly three-quarters of a box and I've never (yet) needed more than that in any day of big game hunting.

I did go on a thousand mile, western elk hunt once with only three rounds but that's another story.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Simple soul here. Since I routinely carry spare silk or poly glove liners anyway, I just slide a cartridge into each finger/thumb and stick them in a pocket or pack. 10 round, no rattles.

[Linked Image]

Handy! 😎

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Normally pants pocket if they are deep enough they will not fall out. If not there a jacket pocket holds 4 or 5. Maybe a shirt pocket. Wherever seems like a good place at the moment is where they go. Do occasionally check to be sure they haven't wondered away.

I have yet to know of a Deer that was spooked by them rattling. Perhaps one has and I wasn't aware.

At the end of the day they end up on the center console of the truck.

Last edited by battue; 06/27/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
9-round butt cuff. 4 down in the magazine. 13 total.

Stays in the truck all season, when I grab the gun and go I never have to worry about having plenty of correct ammo.

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
All,

Looks like the wallet style ammo carriers are really popular. I already have a small flashlight, folding knife and a Leatherman Wave on my belt so I don't think that option is for me. I have a sling with pouches that hold 3 rounds each for a total of 9. The velcro on the flaps is worn but I think it will be easy to replace. I'm a big fan of keeping extra ammo on the gun as that's what was ingrained into us while I was a Sheriff's deputy.

Lot's of options and I love reading about them all. Please keep them coming!

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I load up 10 rounds only, during hunting season for the rifles I will be using...4 go in the rifle when hunting and the other 6 reside in my right pants pocket in the field...more often than not tho, 3 in my right pants pocket and the other 3 get left in the zip lock bag and left in the vehicle trunk, so that some methhead doesn't break into the vehicle to swipe them....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

[Linked Image]

that's a pretty darn good idea!!!!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Seafire

that's a pretty darn good idea!!!!

It is a rather simple and clever idea.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have these on all my rifles
You can put a piece of foam under to adjust your comb height and carry extra ammo either inside the pouch or in the shell loops on the outside.
I carry an extra loaded 5 round magazine in Mine that I have on my
Tikka Superlight.
Attaches securely to the stock
Cant beat the price

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=allen+buttstock+pouch&_sop=15

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not sure why anyone carries extra ammo. I just see hunters shoot once and then sit there doing nothing. crazy

But when I do carry extra ammo I put one or two in a shirt pocket then a few more wrapped up in something to quiet them in my pack.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This is not rocket science..

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Not sure why anyone carries extra ammo. I just see hunters shoot once and then sit there doing nothing. crazy

But when I do carry extra ammo I put one or two in a shirt pocket then a few more wrapped up in something to quiet them in my pack.

I like to keep my ammo with my rifle so I never forget and leave the ammo in camp or in a different pocket,also never have to worry about ammo falling out of my pocket or digging it out of a pack if needed(wild dogs,coyotes,or predators of whatever sort).
I like to fit the rifles comb to my cheek and face so when I pull it up my eye is looking right through the scope without any shifting needed to shoot.
So the buttstock ammo carrier lets me do that and carry ammo,small compass etc.
Works for me !
Just pick up my rifle and ready to go.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
KISS......one in each front pocket, and one in each chest pocket.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If I'm blind hunting the butt stock carrier works well. For PG In Africa I carried six total with one up the spout for my single shot. Spares were in the Bakkie which was never really more than a couple miles away.

I tend more to travel lighter than not.

Hunt Africa while you can
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Most of my pants have that little "lighter pocket" inside the right hip pocket. 4+ rounds always in reach and no rattles.

An old leather 5 round sleeve goes in my breast pocket if the the pants are not so equipped.

Semper Fi

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I usually have a 10 round vinyl holder like some of the factory ammo puts in their boxes in the day pack. I also have some of these same type holders that are shorter and hold 5 rounds in my shirt pocket.
The only time I ever emptied a magazine was shooting at a mule deer that I had wounded and had gotten pretty far away and was still moving.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My outlaw sling holds 8 rounds.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by powdr
Elk, not John but I've always carried extra ammo in an ammo wallet. It's the size of a wallet and folds out w/two sides and there are cartridge loops on each side. I usually carry a full rifle and 8 extra cartridges in the wallet. It has a Velcro strap to keep it closed and fits nicely into a fanny pack or your bare pocket(front or back). IF I CAN'T GET IT DONE W/12 CARTRIDGES...WELL YOU KNOW. powdr

This

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
I like a ten round wallet on my belt and 12 more carried in the pack on two speed strips made for pistol rounds. Keeps them quiet and easy to get at.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ten round Velcro wallet holder in my hip pocket.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Ralphie

Laughing. Aint that the truth!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'm laughing too!

African PH's (the people called guides here) call that "admiring the shot." They say many Americans are guilty of such admiration, even if the animal they shot at is running off with the herd.

John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I'm laughing too!

African PH's (the people called guides here) call that "admiring the shot." They say many Americans are guilty of such admiration, even if the animal they shot at is running off with the herd.

I once posted a picture of three TSX's recovered from a bull Elk. All three shots went through heart/lungs area. But wow did people come unglued. I'm everything from a lousy shot to a meat waster. But the reality is, the big bull stayed on his feet for 30 yds or so which provided ample time to hit him three times. Two of the shots where spaced between the timber. I can't figure out what the commotion was all about.

Last edited by pathfinder76; 07/03/15.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Wise words from dad: "Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting two or three times"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 12 invisible), 1,147 guests, and 788 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,238
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.