Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
OP Offline
A
Hi all,

First post here... I have been looking at the Camp Fire for awhile now, some great Montana info here. Just got my new 223 Montana a few weeks ago after a six month wait (in Australia) I have mounted a VX3 2.5-8x36 in Leaupold mounts...loaded up some 60 grain V Max and Varget, it shoots great with that load. Next I am going to try some 64 grain Nosler bonded if they shoot OK I will use them on pigs. The only thing I do not like about the new Montana is the crappy looking alluminium trigger guard, if any knows where I can purchase a stainless steel one please let me know..Cheers

You can only please some of the people some of the time.
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
ABrad,
Welcome to the 'Fire...you will find a lot of good information from the folks here.
Sounds like you have a nice rifle, good hunting.

Have Gun Will Travel,, The more dust on the trail- the thicker the soup.
Life Member: NRA, VFW, Six Napoleons
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Factory guard is steel, there's a member here who recently updated his thread in the classifieds selling an aluminum guard that shaves I believe close to 2 ounces off the weight.

Life is just one damned thing after another
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I have liked my Montanas. They are nice rifles. Also the 64 grain Nosler bonded solid base has so far been an impressive bullet in my limited experience with it. My daughter shot a deer with that bullet from shoulder to opposite ham and it expanded well and exited while breaking a lot of bone.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Welcome to the'fire Brad

My 223 Montana is one of my favorite rifles (with thanks to the above poster, who I bought if trom). My trigger guard is nicely finished steel that matches the rest of the metal well.

What is it about the trigger guard you don't like?

On a side note, the 64 nosler is a killing machine, even at 22-250 speeds they broke both shoulders and exited on a few deer that we have shot. Don't overlook the 65 Sierra game king. It's a good killer with a better BC.

IC B2

djp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mine is heavy steel, but recently people have been saying the newest ones have a lighter alloy guard that doesn't look that nice...as well as change to the trigger color. Haven't seen them myself. I'm sure that is what aussie brad is talking about.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Welcome Brad.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Welcome , try the Nosler 60 gr Partition with Ramshot Tac. The Hornady 60 gr V-Max is my go to load with 26 gr of Varget , Rem 7.5 primers in all my AR's and my Tikka 223.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by djp
Mine is heavy steel, but recently people have been saying the newest ones have a lighter alloy guard that doesn't look that nice...as well as change to the trigger color. Haven't seen them myself. I'm sure that is what aussie brad is talking about.

Yes mine is alluminium alloy of some kind, the finish does not match the rest of the metal work, kind of looks white? The trigger is either dull nickel or chrome plated, but I can live with that...Brad

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
these are mot stainless steel but are well made by a 'fire member and the finish looks like a good match

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10068762/1

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The new guns come with an aluminum trigger guard that looks to be painted. Doesn't match the other metal work at all and Kimber says the old style is not available. I just happened to have a spare old style on hand when I bought mine about a month ago. At a time in the past, a lot of guys here wanted an aluminum guard to reduce the weight of the Montana slightly. Be careful what you wish for...........

Oh, and welcome to the Campfire, Brad.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
define "great" as in... it shoots great with that load.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Here is a great group from a 223 Montana...

[Linked Image]

And here's a great group from a 7-08 Montana..

[Linked Image]

I realize you're just trolling and not a Kimber fan. Some guys are proud of their rifles...especially their new purchases. I think I read where you had two in the past and couldn't get them to shoot? Please elaborate on your Kimber experiences.....I'd like to hear the details.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like mine and it shoots well, just a little tweaking. Makes a great walk-around rifle out at my lease.

[Linked Image]

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by lastround
The new guns come with an aluminum trigger guard that looks to be painted. Doesn't match the other metal work at all and Kimber says the old style is not available. I just happened to have a spare old style on hand when I bought mine about a month ago. At a time in the past, a lot of guys here wanted an aluminum guard to reduce the weight of the Montana slightly. Be careful what you wish for...........

Oh, and welcome to the Campfire, Brad.

Yep, the newer ones have an aluminum trigger guard. I traded a member here for a stainless version.

I wasn't worried about the extra 2 oz and he wanted the lighter one so it worked out fine.

Aussie Brad, I know another member who might want to trade but being you are in Australia I don't know how that would work out. PM me if you'd like and I will give you his name.

Darrik, nice shooting but I bet it took days of tweaks to get those kinds of results. Way too much work....grin

A
OP Offline
A
Mate this was my first post I have never posted anywhere before regarding Montana's... This is my second one, the first was a 7-08 and my hunting mate has a 243 and 338 (We both love our Monanas, the best handling rifles to shoot when standing on your hind legs)...Groups at 100m ranged from 3/4" to 1 1/2"' all 5 shots, mostly hovered around the 1" mark. Brad

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
If they get them to shoot submoa consistently, I'd buy one. But Im not a gambler.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Sounds like you have shooters.I just got a Montana bout a month back 7mm-08 ,shoots about an 1.5 " at a hundred im pretty happy may light skim bed also.if not still ok with me .

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
120 grn around an inch 140s when it starts to open up. I have another scope on the way so have not played with it much wanted to try cds nothing wrong with scope i have on it now.

Been using RL15 in 120s & RL17 in 140s cause thats what i have the most of will use the RL15 in 140s next.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by ringworm
If they get them to shoot submoa consistently, I'd buy one. But Im not a gambler.

I've played with 6 or 8 and they've all shot 3/4" or so without much work to get them there so not much of a gamble in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (1234, 160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,618
Posts18,454,995
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.