Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I have zero clue as to if La Rue has SS barrels or not, I've never heard, even though they shoot well. I've never heard any comments.

There are multiple reasons for owning firearms, and some folks want answers.

I personally am a bit leary of any one or company that won't answer a simple question like is your barrel SS. Or CM. Or treated in some way.

You could buy the most accurate La Rue out there and hunt in regions/climates that its more important to be a weather rifle than the most accurate.

I don't know about others but I have specific guns I go to for specific reasons. If you don't know what you buying its hard to justify at least for me.

I do know a few folks that buy name because they want to impress others, can't shoot the gun nearly to its ability and would have been better off with a rack grade PSA or such gun and a couple extra cases of ammo to learn to shoot better.

That comment is NOT directed at anyone on this thread or even this forum, but I know of these folks locally.

I"m not as verbal with them though, they feel its important, and so it is. One is my best friends nephew... wants a Barret in 338 LM... so he can tell all his buddies he has one. Bragging. We talked about it at a party the other week.

#1 he doesn't know how to shoot all that well.
#2 he has no place he could even warm that gun up
#3 he is paying for the name.

His wife agrees, she would rather him have something built thats a known, and pay for that, and be able to use it.

OTOH I do own a 50 bmg and I have no place to shoot currently past 1800 yards and really have no business owning it in many ways.. I don't compete with it, I have hunted it a few times and it does nothing at all impressive to game, have to go follow a blood trail just like the rest.

So ya can do what you want in reality, I just happen to prefer to point out options to folks that might save them either some headaches or money along the way. And especially since I'm not a caddy guy, but I sure might have a 496 under the hood of the caprice. LOL.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
ARIC

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am not a hater! smile

T
TWR Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I remember a knife maker talking to a guy about what steel he wanted, he answered "we can stamp it anything you want".

Instead of going for a name, I go for results, can anyone come up with a bad review on LaRue's products? I've used and installed a good number of his rails and mounts and have never had a problem. I'm talking over a dozen rails and 15-20 mounts.

I can't find anyone who's not pleased with their complete guns, can't imagine their barrels will be any different.

You may not like their replies to what seems like simple questions but how do you know what any company tells you is the truth? Results are all that is important.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I mostly agree, but if they won't answer if its an SS barrel and you treat it as being such, and its not, and its CM and rusts very easily, what have you lost/gained?

WHY are they scared to answer?

I've not used any La Rue products and have never seen the need to use their stuff.

As you are aware I don't accept half azz accuracy out of my guns either.

La Rue works? Yep no doubt. As hyped as John Burns let me build a gun for you and that way you don't have to figure any of it out and trust me it'll shoot, but you don't need to know any more than that... yep, no doubt IMHO.

There is more to this too, from an inside source, that I will never repeat or reveal, but while LR works its certainly not all its cut out to be and woudl be one of those that would do a stamping thing, as long as they could make a bit more money.

FWIW if I wanted to have a knife other than a Piranta and had a need, I would do the same I do here, research, find out what I want, then find someone to build it or sell me the stuff to do so myself. If the guy said he could stamp it whatever, IE ignoring me and telling me what HE THINKS I need or want, we'll never do business.

All that aside I'm anxious to see how the LR barrel does when you get it all tuned up.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by TWR
Who knows? Mark is claiming proprietary secrets but I figure it's some kind of voo doo or black magic.

An MOA light weight barrel for $199 was just too cheap to start getting picky.

Rearden Steel... really?

Atlas Shrugged anyone? The 12" Stealth barrels have an 0.092 gas port. A rifle gas port in a carbine barrel, ingenious. ML is certifiable and he can say those barrels are made of whatever he wants. It may have been hard to pass one up at $199 but they certainly aren't worth $495.

IC B2

T
TWR Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by KneezeInTheBreeze

Rearden Steel... really?

I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

Atlas Shrugged anyone?

Here either

The 12" Stealth barrels have an 0.092 gas port. A rifle gas port in a carbine barrel, ingenious.

12" barrels have a different set of rules.

ML is certifiable and he can say those barrels are made of whatever he wants.

Another fan of Mark's I see

It may have been hard to pass one up at $199 but they certainly aren't worth $495.

Thank you but this has already been covered.

Last edited by TWR; 07/05/15.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rost495
From my knowledge, they are doing their own because they had to many Lothar reject barrels.

I don't know what they are using steel wise or rifling wise, but as long as they meet the accuracy needed, it doesn't much matter typically.

I wonder if it is their rejects they have on sale?

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
No, thats been years ago, and the rejects were sent back to Walther.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bea175
From my knowledge, they are doing their own because they had to many Lothar reject barrels.

I don't know what they are using steel wise or rifling wise, but as long as they meet the accuracy needed, it doesn't much matter typically.

I wonder if it is their rejects they have on sale?

I seriously doubt that. They said they would need a 6 to 8 week lead time to fill the orders. I don't think the barrels are made yet. Nor do I think he would ruin his reputation like that. Catch Mark on the phone one day and it'll become obvious real quick he's a loose cannon but like TWR said, he puts out some top notch products.

I would have bought one in a heartbeat if I needed one. It was tempting even though I didn't. I rely on others to keep to keep the AR aftermarket afloat these days. I'm more of a bullets and powder consumer. wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In today's Market one never knows

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
He would NOT ruin his rep, thats totally clear talking to him and the company.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I think your right on that, if he sold reject barrels it would come back to bite him in the butt.

I would have bought one for $199 as well, procrastination will get you every time.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Nope, he won't sell a reject, he is to much of an astute business man more so than anything else, than to sell something like that and risk and bad words..

Look at what TWR always says, find me soemthing bad to say about LR.

I do say bad about them all the time, but I know well what he means.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have 3 of his scope mounts, they are very good.

Last edited by jimmyp; 07/05/15.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not really hung up on lightweight barrels. I am slightly annoyed the Daniel Mk 12 doesn't shoot better than it does.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I hear if you have need of QD scope mount thats repeatable back to zero they are top notch for that.

Never had that need personally. As I don't trust return to zero if you take something off and put it back on, I'm going to fire a couple shots to verify.

But I hear they are top notch for that.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I hear if you have need of QD scope mount thats repeatable back to zero they are top notch for that.

Never had that need personally. As I don't trust return to zero if you take something off and put it back on, I'm going to fire a couple shots to verify.

But I hear they are top notch for that.

If you torque to the same spec each time they will definitely return to zero each time.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
cool . I simply prefer to shoot guns if it matters that much.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
not to mention my fuddy duddiness.... I put a scope on for a reason, it stays there.

I am not one to try all kinds of things out, and only reason it gets replaced is if it fails or fails in its job.

I have iron guns for that, dot guns for that, scoped guns for that etc...

Not much on swapping parts and pieces around.

As always YMMV and I'm getting old and stubborn in my ways.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
What is their stealth upper package?

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 3,017 guests, and 1,419 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.