24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Is there any real difference in the DESIRABILITY of pre-64 M70's by period of manufacture such as pre-war guns, immediate post-war guns, 1950's, or 1960's? If there is, what makes the one more desirable over another? If not by period of mfr, is there any feature change or modification that makes one preferred over another? I realize a lot of this can be subjective and I understand there's a lot less of the pre-war guns around simply because of their age, modifications, usage, etc but were there any quality considerations, features, or something else that makes one "better"? Not trying to create a lot of flaming among the members, just curious.
Thanks
yooper

BP-B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Pre-wars were made better than post-war M70's but they are not easily mounted with a scope. The Transition guns IMHO have the quality of the pre-wars but are drilled and tapped for a scope.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Yes there is quite a difference for us model 70 snobs. Pre wars were the ultimate in quality, no short cuts. They had far better wood than guns in the 50's. Twenty line checking and a bulbous pistol grip. Transitional models are nearly as well finished but have the advantage of drilled for scope and a safety that was scope friendly. Eighteen line checkering by this time but still a bulbous grip and good wood. Buy 1949 the desirable cloverleaf tang was gone, for cost cutting reasons, and the safety we all came to admire arrived. The bulbous grip was sawn flat again for cost cutting reasons. Then in 1953 the front sight was no longer integral with the barrel but was soldered on for more cost savings. 1959 saw plastic butt plates, smaller checkering, round bolt shroud and sometimes inferior wood, all cost cutting procedures. As time went on fit and finish suffered. For me personally, 1952 was the last year I liked the model enough to buy. All gun manufactures were having difficulty in securing decent wood in the 1950's. Only Winchester sent a letter out apologizing for the poor quality and promising to improve when better supply was available.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by reelman
Pre-wars were made better than post-war M70's but they are not easily mounted with a scope. The Transition guns IMHO have the quality of the pre-wars but are drilled and tapped for a scope.

I was hoping you would answer the OP's question..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
Yes there is quite a difference for us model 70 snobs. Pre wars were the ultimate in quality, no short cuts. They had far better wood than guns in the 50's. Twenty line checking and a bulbous pistol grip. Transitional models are nearly as well finished but have the advantage of drilled for scope and a safety that was scope friendly. Eighteen line checkering by this time but still a bulbous grip and good wood. Buy 1949 the desirable cloverleaf tang was gone, for cost cutting reasons, and the safety we all came to admire arrived. The bulbous grip was sawn flat again for cost cutting reasons. Then in 1953 the front sight was no longer integral with the barrel but was soldered on for more cost savings. 1959 saw plastic butt plates, smaller checkering, round bolt shroud and sometimes inferior wood, all cost cutting procedures. As time went on fit and finish suffered. For me personally, 1952 was the last year I liked the model enough to buy. All gun manufactures were having difficulty in securing decent wood in the 1950's. Only Winchester sent a letter out apologizing for the poor quality and promising to improve when better supply was available.

My favorites were made after 1955: This is when the good fwt's came into play. I also love the 338 win mag and those weren't available until 1959. Based on stuvwxyz's post, he's chit out of luck if he only buys rifles built before 1952. I'm glad guys like him exist because that means there's one less guy out there buying the ones I like... wink

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Aside from mid 50s SG Featherweights I prefer transition guns. It's hard to find pre war guns anymore that aren't beat up even for collector $$ so I don't have any currently.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I've had shooter-grade pre-wars, transitions and 50's guns. All of them are noticeably better finished than guns from the 60's. Of all of them, I liked the transitions the most but I wouldn't pass up a good 50's gun. My current pre-64 is a '52 standard .270 and it's as smooth in action as the '47 transition 30-06's I've had.

The FWT's I've had have all been '56-58 guns and they were nicely finished, a tick below the transitions but not too much of a tick.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

I like your answer stuvwxyz.
I have some of each era, but I still like the pre '54s the most.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

My favorites were made after 1955: This is when the good fwt's came into play. I also love the 338 win mag and those weren't available until 1959. Based on stuvwxyz's post, he's chit out of luck if he only buys rifles built before 1952. I'm glad guys like him exist because that means there's one less guy out there buying the ones I like... wink

Some people like redheads some like blonds. I have had a few featherweights over the decades. I even had a featherweight 338 Win Mag. From what I hear it was the only one known. Of course I rebored a 264 Win featherweight barrel and rechambered it. You did not need to open the bolt to know if it went off. I even possess a 1950 vintage 338 now. Again I took a worn out 30-06 standard weight barrel and rebored and rechambered. I shot a lot of elk and deer with a 338. A great round. I even have a 1959 featherweight 06 that I am about to put on gunbroker soon. Well I will let you have the featherweights and you can pass the pre wars to me.

REGARDS

Steve

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Mr GSP, has my favorite std, pre 64, Transition early enough to have 30GOV'T 06 , Metalwork and bolt just seems smoother yet its factory drilled for modern base. Im looking for a cloverleaf tang, uncut std stock for a National Match gun that saw very few rounds down it, it will be my last pre 64 'project gun. very best WinPoor

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Winchesterpoor, the cloverleaf tang stocks are so hard to find. Uncut is the catch. I have 2 spare cloverleaf stocks I have picked up over the years but alas they are both cut.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Winchesterpoor, the cloverleaf tang stocks are so hard to find. Uncut is the catch. I have 2 spare cloverleaf stocks I have picked up over the years but alas they are both cut.

My friend had a very nice transition rifle with a clover leaf tang. He offered it to me for $800.00. It was drilled and tapped and had been refinished and reblued, but was beautifully done. I still wish I would have bought it, even though at the time I had 5 06's... sick.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

My friend had a very nice transition rifle with a clover leaf tang. He offered it to me for $800.00. It was drilled and tapped and had been refinished and reblued, but was beautifully done. I still wish I would have bought it, even though at the time I had 5 06's... sick.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That's what I want for the start of a 35 Whelen!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Mr STUVWXYZ, Let me know what you need for a nice one and I will just have to put a repro pad on it,I have no problem with refinished wood when its done nice with the deep winchester red, they usually look like they should have when they left Winchester! I can live with a pad too, my only real dislike is 4 holes in the side of the receiver for a G&H type mount. Being cut I will have no problem adding pillars and a nice bed job. She should drive 165 gr nails then! . If you will let one go PM your needs. very best WinPoor

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
739 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 85 invisible), 2,726 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,399,996
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.