Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Cliffs notes version.

Been away from bows for quite some time. Had a Martin Gonzo Safari back in the day, then a Mathews Solo Cam. I was slinging aluminum arrows, Muzzies, and both were set at 80#.

(laugh now)

Obviously I need to catch up as I'm thinking about adding more hunting opportunity to my season.

So give me the low down on a few solid performers, maybe anywhere from 5-7 years old, and whatever is the hot [bleep] to bolt on them. I'm sure they'll be light years ahead of where I used to be. Thinking 30-06/Leupold, not custom Wizbang and Nightforce if you get my drift...

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Used Mathews Switchback, QAD (drop-away) arrow rest, and SPOT HOGG fixed sight.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
It takes a lot more than fifteen years for animals to show significant signs of evolution. I still kill critters with great aplomb using a #56/28" recurve slinging sticks topped with double blade Zwickey's. Don't feel too left behind as the old stuff will still work.

Last edited by Aught6; 06/29/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ltppowell nailed it. I might add one little thing, get the tight spot quiver. It's the only way to go for a bow mounted quiver.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No doubt the old stuff works, but I'm not that comitted and can't shoot daily. Equipment is light years beyond what it was 15 years ago. Seems lotsa trendy crap too. Just a matter if which is which.

I liked the old Mathews I shot for sure.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I still use a 2006 switchback XT as the go to bow for almost all my hunting. I also own a new Elite bow which I love as well. However that Switchback is amazingly easy to draw and shoot.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Do you have to change the cams in order to change draw length or can it be adjusted on the Switchback?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Needs cams, look on Archery talk classifieds, they are almost always available for sale there.

Also Harlon on this site would be able to swap them out for you and dial in your bow to maximum potential. He has done several Switchbacks for guys here including mine with new string and cables. Mine is actually better now then when it was brand new.

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good to know. This schit has changed so much I'm clueless.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I just got back into archery last year after 15+ years away from it. Carbon arrows and parallel limbs are probably the biggest differences from when I retired my release previously. I currently have a 60lb Strother Rush XT, 70lb Bowtech Experience, and a 70lb Obsession Phoenix is on the UPS truck for delivery this afternoon. Seems like all the bows today are really pretty dang awesome. Pick a set of specs you like (33" ATA, 7" brace height, 80% let off, 335fps, for example) and shoot a couple models with those specs if you can.

Probably the best thing I've done is get a custom Black Gold sight made to my liking. Got the 6" dovetail at a hunting buddy's encouragement and am glad I did. Oh, and went up to a 1/4" peep. Best move ever.

RLTW
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 16bore
Good to know. This schit has changed so much I'm clueless.

It really hasn't changed that much, just small refinements. There are lots of gimmicks and doodads out there, and "good ideas" that ain't. Simple, durable stuff is out there and the way to go, IMHO.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just left Sportman's Warehouse, good grief it's pricey too. I reckon carbon outlasts aluminum by a long shot.

Cool stuff for sure

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't be fooled that just because they don't bend or kink they last longer. A "sprung" or fractured carbon arrow will explode upon release from your bow. They still need to be checked and flexed by hand before shooting. They will wear out and become higher risk as they age.

I did not believe this when it was told to me. ...... Until It happened!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Don't be fooled that just because they don't bend or kink they last longer. A "sprung" or fractured carbon arrow will explode upon release from your bow. They still need to be checked and flexed by hand before shooting. They will wear out and become higher risk as they age.

I had a carbon arrow explode (I guess) on me a couple of years ago. Ten yard shot on a deer, and I really didn't know what happened until I found the broadhead w/adapter under where the buck was standing and arrow parts downrange. That said, I'll take carbon over aluminum all day long. I can't frickin' stand a bent arrow.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by JJHACK

I had a carbon arrow explode (I guess) on me a couple of years ago. Ten yard shot on a deer, and I really didn't know what happened until I found the broadhead w/adapter under where the buck was standing and arrow parts downrange. That said, I'll take carbon over aluminum all day long. I can't frickin' stand a bent arrow.
Had a similar thing happen with an aluminum arrow. Arrow broke into 3 pieces. Broadhead went furthest, fletching second, and middle part of the arrow traveled the least. 'Twas a bit puzzling...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just got a Viper brand sight. It has micro adjust and a six inch dove tail. I like it. I think I paid 90 bucks.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the new mid range stuff from Hoyt and Mathews. The Hoyt Charger comes in a kit for $650, add arrows and a release and you have a brand new very nice bow for under $800. Most of the companies have something on this order - try as many as you can find.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The more I dig, the more it seems a Mathews Switchback might just be the one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you’re thinking Mathews, you might want to try out their Mission line. Comparing the Mission Ballistic to the Switchback by going with the Ballistic you’ll loose a few ounces, almost 3” shorter ata, and gain 12 fps IBO. In the past 10 years bows have gotten a bit faster without giving up a smooth pull and quiet releast. The set up my son and I got was Ballistic with sights, release, whisker bisquit, ½ dozen gold tips, stabilizer and a hard case for $800.

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That's a Pacnor tubed, AI'ed custom in a McMillan stock. I'm on a Ruger American Rifle 30-06 budget...Ha!

But like everything else, if I get hooked again, it's all over....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Any traditional bow hunters?

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My Browning Cobra II was my last attempt at archery.....oof

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Any traditional bow hunters?

I shoot both compounds and recurves. My recurves get about 90% of my time, but there is no denying that the compound is a superior weapon for most of my hunting needs here in the west. Something about the simplicity of a nice Trad bow is really fun. Once you figure out an aiming system and get your form down it can be surprising how accurate you can be. I shot a personal best 284 25X with a NFAA Trad Legal recurve this spring before I put it away and got my hunting recurve out.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I walked out the door of our pro shop with a Mission Craze combo all set up by the guy and his son, arrows cut to my length, sight adjusted (think bore sighted) , release and a block target for $645 tax included. I'm excited to get back into it after a dozen years away!!

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've been nose deep into "Archery Talk", well more reading than talking. The changes in equipment and set up is pretty amazing. The little vanes and cruise missiles outta 60# 80% let off. Nuts.

Pretty much sold on a 2014 Quest Drive at the moment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
679 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 3,105 guests, and 1,432 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.