24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Where is a good place to buy SS media and what do you add to it? Thanks.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Try here.

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/

If you are thinking of substituting in your vibratory tumbler, it probably won't work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you are thinking of substituting in your vibratory tumbler, it probably won't work.

What about ceramic? What is the best in a vibratory? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Try here.

I have thummlers tumbler.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got my SS pins with the Frankford arsenal tumbler kit, they give you 5 pounds worth. Midway had that on sale a while back.

I add two tablespoons of Dawn liquid and about the same of Lemi-Shine in a tumbler full of hot water - I read that on another thread here and figured WTH so that's what I use. I deprime but do not size cases before tumbling.

You didn't ask (when did that stop anybody? wink ) but will give some observations.

It cleans cases like I've never seen before in 40 years of reloading. Two hours of tumbling and they really come out like new. Primer pockets are almost all cleaned out, maybe another hour would have finished those as well.

Down side is that it's a much more involved process than dry tumbling or vibrating. Dry tumbling you just throw the cases onto a sifter of some kind and shake them around to separate the media. You do that with the SS stuff but have to rinse everything first, then sift the pins and cases to separate them, then gather the pins with a magnet - they like to go everywhere - then wait until everything dries before you can further process the cases.

To me the process is worth the trouble since I don't tumble or clean cases except after annealing which happens every 5th or 6th firing. Plus, I wait until I can clean several hundred cases at once - e.g. a batch of .30-06, a batch of .243 and a batch of .223 all go in at the same time. Also, there is no residual dust from tumbling media on the cases or anywhere else.

I think you'll like the SS stuff - my old vibratory tumbler is gathering dust these days.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I just bought the pins on ebay. There's several shops that sell them on there. That was the cheapest I found.

It does clean cases really well, but it's kind of a pain compared to regular tumbling.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Try here.

I have thummlers tumbler.

I have a Thumlers vibratory, also. I wasn't sure if you had a rotary or vibratory, but the question has come up on the use of pins in the latter.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
You only really need a half tsp. or so of Lemi-Shine. Have heard too much can degrade the brass cause it does have acidity. Amount of Dawn isn't crucial, just make sure you add enough to still have bubbles when its done processing. Tablespoon or more should be good. More tips on the media website mentioned above.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
457 members (300jimmy, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 320090T, 257 mag, 49 invisible), 2,185 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,110
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.