-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Some may, or may not, remember my old buddy Doug Tracht. He was probably the original 'shock jock' on radio. His on air name was The Greaseman. He was a superstar on the old WAPE in Jax back in the Seventies, with 50,000 watts, up and down the East Coast. He moved from Jax to DC, and repeated Howard Stern's joke, the one in the thread title. Said it on MLK JR's BD. smile Old Doug was suspended for a few days, apologized, and was forced to fund a scholarship to the negro school, Howard University. I was wondering what his punishment would have been today, with such an ill timed, off the cuff joke.

Sam......

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I live outside of DC and used to listen to Grease every morning. I was on my way to work and heard him say that.

A couple of years later, he made a similar joke after a black guy had been murdered by being drug behind a pick up. I forget what the actual joke was though. His problem was he was constantly pushing the envelope and would get on a roll and say things he probably shouldn't have. That's when DC101 kicked him off permanently.

A couple of years later, he tried his show again on a local AM station, but never went anywhere. I think he may still live around here.

He was funny as crap. I actually shot trap with him once. Purely coincidence he was on the same line that I was shooting from. He was a good shot and had a nice over/under.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hobble do ga ga

Ronald Reagan
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Doug and I ran in the same circles back in the seventies in Jax. He could throw some great parties.
Skinny guy, tall and thin. Nothing at all, in real life, as his on air personna appeared.

Sam......

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
He seemed like a regular guy in person. I don't know how he looked when you knew him, but I remembered he had bleach blonde hair.

Ronald Reagan
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
yeah, a beach blondie. Funny guy in person, or on the air.

But today, if he had made that remark, he would be banned lifetime, and hounded to his grave.

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm glad you brought up the Greaseman, AKA Nino Greasamanelli, AKA Johnny Rico, AKA Sergeant Fury, and the air traffic controller from hell. You're right he would have beaten down and blackballed forever.

I never lived in any of his markets but a good friend of my father filled an entire cassette tape with Greaseman skits he recorded from the radio. That tape came into my possesion in the early 90's when I was an adolescent and my friends and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Wish I could find that tape now, or have his skits available to relisten to.

If 2nd amendment rights can be subject to licensing and fees, how was the poll tax unconstitutional?
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Clinton

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Geez, there is this thing called YOUTUBE, and it has everything known to man.

- Rogue
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I listened to Grease for a long time!

IC B3

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
yup DC101!!! One of my favs.

You know my Dad was his peer but on the C&W side of things. And in a different market but still drive time and 100,000 watts of broadcasting across the South. Lifetime Achievement Award recipient in fact.

Congrats Dad!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Some may, or may not, remember my old buddy Doug Tracht. He was probably the original 'shock jock' on radio. His on air name was The Greaseman. He was a superstar on the old WAPE in Jax back in the Seventies, with 50,000 watts, up and down the East Coast. He moved from Jax to DC, and repeated Howard Stern's joke, the one in the thread title. Said it on MLK JR's BD. smile Old Doug was suspended for a few days, apologized, and was forced to fund a scholarship to the negro school, Howard University. I was wondering what his punishment would have been today, with such an ill timed, off the cuff joke.

He would likely be elected President. It's harsh, but payback is hell.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I remember the Greaseman, funny dude.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

241 members (358WCF, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 280shooter, 204guy, 35 invisible), 1,944 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,160
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.