Print Thread
Hop To
A
Abner Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Well, a buddy and I didn't get drawn for antelope in Wyoming this year so, our choices are getting a left over tag and paying for access on private land, or going after deer in another western state. Can anybody recommend a western state and general region where a couple guys might have a decent chance of tagging a deer on public land with a over the counter tag? We are hunters, not road hunters. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure how far your looking to drive or where your located. Try Nebraska. Plenty of public land and National Grasslands. Call the Game and Parks they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Montana usually has leftovers. So will Wyoming in some regions. Colorado will have leftover tags for marginal or really heavily hunted areas. Nebraska has tags and some public land too in the northwest portion of the state.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And if you aren't sold on only deer, Montana, Colorado and Idaho will take your money and sell you an elk license. Oh yeah, Idaho will also have some deer tag options for you.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

A
Abner Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Thanks guys. Nebraska is a little far, but we will look into Idaho, Colorado and Wyoming.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you call Wyoming fish & game and ask around, chances are you could find some private landowners that would let you hunt for free or a nominal fee.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Like many states, Idaho has both whitetails and mulies. In general, the whitetails are in the northern half of the state and the mulies are in the southern half. There's lots of crossover, though, and some areas have both. Idaho is very underrated for it's whitetails. I've seen some beauties in the north half.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Abner:

Wish I could help you. I feel your pain.

You seem to have a pretty good handle on the Wyoming regs.

The way things have evolved hunting public land has become a roll of the dice. Reality is that the guides and landowners are pretty savvy and locked in cahoots jointly. National Forests are public land but require a guide.

Here's the Wyoming Game website:

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/hunting-1001825.aspx#deerHA

I spoke to them on your behalf. You'll find their phone number. May want to call and jawbone a bit.

It shouldn't take much time to down a pronghorn or mule deer, maybe the first day, in the right place. White Tails are proliferating and easier to obtain.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
National Forests do not require a guide in Wyoming. Just wilderness areas.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
If I were in your shoes I'd do Idaho for sure:

Montana is really expensive, Wyoming's leftovers are left over for a reason, and Colorado's OTC areas are pummeled.

IC B3

A
Abner Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
There is some great info here guys. Thanks. I'm going to talk to my hunting buddy and we will decide what to do. Wyoming antelope left over tags go on sale on the 8th of July so we have until then to decide which way to go. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Exbiologst:

Correct:

There are extensive maps on the Wyoming Game site.

Last edited by William_E_Tibbe; 06/23/15.
A
Abner Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Well, we decided that instead of risking a so-so hunt in Wyoming in a zone with left over tags, but very little public land to hunt, we would go for mule deer in Idaho instead. Lots of tags and lots of deer. We are doing our research now and will decide on an area soon. So far, the information looks like we won't have to much trouble finding game. Thanks for the opinions from ya'll.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Excellent choice; good luck I hope you'll post a description of your experience!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Abner:

Good thinking.

If you lived in Wyoming and had 60 deer feeding on your ranch hay stack !!!

Don't you don't so ____________

Or rode around on horse and saw 11 shoot able buck in one day !!!!!

Or walked in to the Bridger National Forest and saw 3 bucks in less than 1/2 hour.

But that's another story.

Locals have the advantage.

Good luck.

Last edited by William_E_Tibbe; 06/25/15.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Coues deer in Arizona..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hit the Hells Canyon area. Folks on top look down and say "I'm not going down there," and people on the river respond with "I'm not going up there." Makes for a lot of ground where one will not see or hear another hunter anywhere on opening day. Some fine deer as well.

I myself find it more pleasant to use a boat. Much easier to come down to camp in the evening than climb back up to the top at the end of the day.
[Linked Image]

1Minute
A
Abner Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Thanks again for the options. We have our deer tags for Idaho and are still thinking of where to hunt. Biologists there say area 39, lots of deer, but lots of hunters. It's easy to think I could find a place where others don't know about there but that really isn't reasonable. Hells canyon does sound interesting. My uncle hunted there years ago and always did good. I know it's a tough hunt, but if that's where hunters don't go, that's where the big bucks will be. At least we have a little while before we make a decision.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I can tell you deer numbers are down and it's easy for a biologist to suggest Unit 39 simply because it is large and has some pretty good backcountry. I'm not trying to spread doom and gloom, just making you sure about reality. Wolves have definitely taken a toll and a lot burned recently (last 2-3 years).

Good luck.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 52 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,262
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.