Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Finally got loose to shoot it this morning. Ran about 50 rounds through it, mostly Hornady 155's, but I did also shoot 5 of the Buffalo Bore "Heavy 10mm" loads which claim 1350 fps for a 180 jhp. Unlike the last new Sig I bought, the critical surfaces, like the breech face, are smoothly polished, and the gun ran flawlessly, so kudos to them.

Minor gripes would be that the magazine has probably the strongest spring I've ever run into, and it's tough to get the 8th round in the mag. I would think Sig could have made a 9 or 10 round single stack mag for it; perhaps they will in the future. The trigger is a bit mushy and does not have a crisp break.

My shooting was awful today, so reporting group size would have been a waste of time. I had two 1911's with me, and it did at least as well as they did, so eventually I suspect it will prove accurate.

Assuming a good holster, I could see this Sig as a hunter's weapon, or even bear protection. At frst glance it reminds you a lot of the S&W 4506, a big stainless 10mm auto, and I suspect the Sig will prove to be a fine and durable large auto.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Sig Sauers are better than sex

I currently have 2 Sig Sauers and plan to get more .... but better than sex crazy .... no way !

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Maybe the booty was even larger than the grips. That could explain it.

Osama and Obama both have friends who bombed the Pentagon.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
"Extended" report? Right now I'm in a violent, internal debate about buying its twin or building a .45 Super.

I have a lot of 10mm ammo in the safe still.....

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
smile I found some 155gr Speer Gold Dots, and I already have a good deal of Starline 10mm brass & AA#7, so I'll shoot some handloads this weekend. I need to do a trigger job on the 10mm Kimber, so while it's apart I will probably compare the case head support on the two guns.

I never have disassembled a Sig SA before, so it will be interesting to see what's feasible as far as a trigger job.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I shot it today with a warmish load of AA#7 and the 155 Gold Dots. No smiles in the brass, and accuracy seemed good. The rear sight adjusted down satisfactorily for the load, and had some adjustment left over, so it seems well designed for speedy loads

The Sig weighs 2 lbs 12.4 oz, compared to my Kimber 10mm, which weighs 2 lbs 6.9 oz. The Sig naturally has a beefy slide and rail, unlike the Kimber, so the weight difference is not surprising.

The firing pin indentations on primers are more oblong on the Sig, relative to the Kimber, suggesting the barrel is starting to unlock while the pin is still forward, despite a hellishly strong recoil spring. The Kimber shows the same tendency, though the distortion of the firing pin impression is minimal. I'm not sure if this behavior is really detrimental in the long run, though were this a 1911, I'd be looking for a different firing pin stop, with a square bottom, to delay unlocking a bit. A stronger firing pin spring might help some, as well.

The one area that does concern me a bit is the case support in the barrel. It's better than a traditional unramped 1911 barrel, but not as good as a ramped barrel - at least related to the Kimber. Shown below, a Kimber 10mm barrel, and the Sig on the right.

[Linked Image]

Here is the same Kimber barrel, versus a factory Colt barrel.

[Linked Image]

As a practical matter, you'll just have to try your loads of choice in such a Sig, to determine if it's giving the cases sufficient support. As noted above the Buffalo Bore "Heavy 10mm's" (180's at 1350 fps) work fine in the Sig, and show no unsightly smiles.

The 10mm Colts I have owned ate anything, out of any magazine. The Kimber has proven fussier, though I eventually made it reliable. So far the Sig has been totally reliable, though it needs more testing before you could call it good for serious use.

I think the bottom line is, if you prefer the 220 to the 1911, you'll like the 10mm 220. If not, then it's a harder decision...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Nice to know your Dick will fit in the end of a Sig Barrel , i guess you can call it self lubrication

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks Tex; that was a helpful review.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Thanks Tex; that was a helpful review.

Agreed

And those Buffalo bore heavy 10 loads are easily replicated with AA#9 for any who wish to do so.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You are definately either doing it wrong, or with a not so sexy woman to come up with THAT one.

I too have owned some Sig handguns, and they are not even close to as nice as good sex. As in with one's wife in a monogomous and loving relationship.

And if you, as you say, don't care for the cuddling afterwards.... very sad. For all concerned.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (6MMWASP, AdventureBound, 338reddog, 260Remguy, 44automag, 4xbear, 8 invisible), 1,685 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,198
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.