Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I am leaning towards buying a left hand Remington 700 SPS in .223 for a 17 Remington build and was wondering what you folks thought about the plastic stocks Remington is using on these rifles? Are they usable or will I want to toss it in the garabge?

If they are that bad I might just start with a lefty CZ and wood stock for a donor.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have three 700's with the SPS stocks, they are a good serviceable stock, much more rigid than the older Rem tupperware stocks. All three shoot under MOA with nothing more done than snugging down the action screws. The SPS stock is my favorite for a factory tupperware type stock.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
They are very usable and surprisingly rigid.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have an SPS .17 Fireball and have no issue with the stock. It's a great shooter. If you get a Remington, make sure it's not one with a trigger recall though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

If they are that bad I might just start with a lefty CZ and wood stock for a donor.

Why would you get a CZ for a donor when they produce a super accurate 17Rem right out of the box (no mods necessary) with the best mid level factory trigger on the market?

As far as the SPS stock goes, I bought a sporter for a donor and immediately replaced it.
I won't chit mouth em though because I honestly didn't even try it.

I like wood stocks.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have shot several SPS rifles that grouped great right out of the box. But if somebody had fitted a McMillan instead they would have undoubtedly turned into world-record-setting target rifles.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

Why would you get a CZ for a donor when they produce a super accurate 17Rem right out of the box (no mods necessary) with the best mid level factory trigger on the market?

As far as the SPS stock goes, I bought a sporter for a donor and immediately replaced it.
I won't chit mouth em though because I honestly didn't even try it.

I like wood stocks.

[Linked Image]

Please post a link for the lefty CZ 17 Remington

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have shot several SPS rifles that grouped great right out of the box. But if somebody had fitted a McMillan instead they would have undoubtedly turned into world-record-setting target rifles.

I have one of those. The McFlame.

It shoots absolutely flat out to a mile, at which distance its a one-holer.

Got this pig at a mile and a quarter with it. I knew it was that far cause I had to hold about 3" high...

[Linked Image]

Had the scope cranked the whole way up to 7X for that shot.....

Last edited by ingwe; 06/29/15.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Well, there you go.

One little-known fact about McFlame stocks is they not only increase muzzle velocity but scope magnification.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The scope moved so far back helps with magnification too. Ingwe must do most of his shooting from a picnic table. wink

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
JeffO taught me how to mount scopes.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well we knew that. You need a rubber eye piece so you can just mount that sucker right to your eye socket. How far off your shoulder is the butt when you have to prone out? Or do you wear shoulder pads? shocked

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sorry. Cant help it. I gotta wear coke bottle glasses,and I gotta get close. That makes me some kind of " Visually Disadvantaged" so making fun of me makes you politically incorrect.

I'm sure you'll be losing sleep over that grin

Last edited by ingwe; 06/29/15.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like others said the original plastic Rem stocks are so worthless they don't even burn well. They just take up space in your garbage heap. The newer ones are good stocks.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah sorry. Just being a politically incorrect internet bully.

Love that rifle though. Next one should be a rainbow swirl in .270WCF.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Higbean

Love that rifle though. Next one should be a rainbow swirl in .270WCF.

That would be really sweet!....

If JeffO were still around...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
You need to paint the muzzles of your barrels white, to warn other shooters about your, uh, disability.

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You need to paint the muzzles of your barrels white, to warn other shooters about your, uh, disability.

That's worthy of a "sig line", LMAO

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buddy in high school had a girlfriend that was visually disadvantaged. We just called her "very unfortunate looking".

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by ingwe

I have one of those. The McFlame.

It shoots absolutely flat out to a mile, at which distance its a one-holer.

Got this pig at a mile and a quarter with it. I knew it was that far cause I had to hold about 3" high...

[Linked Image]

Had the scope cranked the whole way up to 7X for that shot.....

Ingwe,

I have always admired the McFlames and your stock is a beauty.
What was the color mixture on that one? Is that the Classic pattern?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (6mmbrfan, 2500HD, 14idaho, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 1,533 guests, and 735 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.