Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I recently did my first overnite pack trip in years. Mosquitos were thick and bloodthirsty. I kept from being eaten alive with a headnet and bug spray, but the whining bothered me for most of the night.

I don't own a packable tent yet. Used a sil/nylon tarp for shelter on this trip.

Looking for bug netting options, and also wonder if anyone has used the thermacell device?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Hello,
I live in deep South Texas and with all the recent rain we've had down here and have plenty of mosquitos. MY BIL went hog hunting the other day with his buddy from work and he had a Thermacell with him and said it worked like a charm.

MAGA! This is the way!
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thinking that a screened tent is the best option, for sleeping in buggy conditions.

I slept pretty dry under the tarp, even with a couple of good t-storms moving through. There really isn't much in the way of weather, here and now, that calls for a tent.

Guessing that I'll deal with the same size issues in a compact tent that I had finding a backpack.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Guessing that most backpackers refuse the thermacell for it's size and weight.
On a short trip like I just took, I'd carry a lot to avoid the bugs...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After camping at backcountry lakes, where the mosquitoes are absolutely terrible, thermacell sold me. Having those things going was the only way you could be outside the tent and eat in the evenings.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Everything is tradeoffs. I think the weight / bulk of a Thermacell is WELL worthwhile. It is not 100% effective though, it thins them out a lot but some are stubborn so I would not recommend counting on it, alone, for complete protection.

If there are no fire restrictions, the slow burning mosquito coils help some as do citronella candles.

If I'm going as light as reasonably possible, a Bearpaw Wilderness Designs bug bivy works well. For more space, check into REI's "Bug Hut II". It's kind of like their Half Dome in size only it's just screen.

For the trail, log house designs bug jackets and mittens seem to work pretty well. I don't hike in shorts but if I did I think their bug pants would probably do well, too.

My last trip I just wore jeans ... skeeters didn't get through. I wore a light flannel shirt coated with bug barrier spray I got at Sportsman's Warehouse and an Outdoor Research bug bucket when they got around my face too much.

For situations where the bug mittens get in the way .. like turning the crank on a reel ... nothin' works like DEET on the hands and wrists. Lemon grass oil isn't as effective but some people are twitchy about chemicals and while not as effective as DEET it's certainly better than nothing.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Sleeping in the swamps where the mosquitos are thick dang near year round I always carry a US mil mosquito net and hang it under a poncho. Cheap, light weight and durable.
Use US mil DEET during the day.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
johnw,

You may want to consider this: http://www.americangrouch.com/2015/04/bear-paw-net-tent-15-bcusa-10x12-ul.html?m=1

The guy that writes that blog is fairly good sized (though not quite your size), since I know that makes a very understandable difference to you.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a fan of mosquito nets, though didn't discover them till late in life. The rectangular one to go over a full size bed, from REI, is the one I use, and usually set it up under a minimal tarp. Mosquito nets don't merely keep the bugs off they keep them away from my ears far enough that the whining buzz doesn't keep me awake. Very light and versatile to pack, and when rigged sideways it covered three of us sleeping side by side with plenty of room.

I hang one end of the net above my head and let the rest drape down over my sleeping bag with my bod in it. If it were a hot night I'd have to tie up the foot end so I could sleep on top of my bag, but haven't needed that so far. Tied up only above the head end it makes a triangular space plenty big enough for head and shoulders. I tie the top center to a ridge line cord and the corners on that end of the net to the edges of the tarp on each side with enough tension and height to keep it well above my head.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thermacell!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We started irrigating 4-5 days ago and while the mosquitoes aren't terrible yet this Summer they are bad enough.

I need to try one of those Thermacell deals.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
They are only at their best when you are sitting without a breeze...but boy they work good then!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
No good for work/movement?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Not really.....sorry.

Ive often thought about attaching a fly tag to my belt in the summer time....

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
10-4 Poobs, tanks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on the thermacell not being good with movement or any wind. Just did the experiment last weekend with a friend - set the thermacell between our two lawn chairs - less than 1 ft apart. The northern MN mosquitoes, which are not particularly thick now - ignored it and still hung around, even landing on the leg closest to the thermacell.

As a forester who worked in swamps for almost 40 yrs, deet on the skin, permanone on the clothes, and a headnet if black flies are on the prowl.

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I can not use deet, even in the lower concentrated forms (7%) without raising huge welts on my hide. And the fact that deet melts so many finishes and coverings on equipment makes it less than ideal.

A buddy using deet on his hands pretty well destroyed his brand new custom spinning rod.

I've found that picaridin based sprays work very well for me. Picaridin works for mosquitoes, all kinds of flies, and even keeps the buffalo gnats from landing and biting. And it won't damage any surfaces or finishes. Cameras, guns, clothing, and etc. are safe even under direct spray.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I use the "Bug Shirt": http://www.bugshirt.com

It works great. At night, it becomes my pillow in the hammock.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by ingwe
Thermacell!

This ^^^^^

T
tjk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thermacell is my vote also. I don't think the weight is so much an issue as the bulk, unless you're going on an extended trip. I live in NE Wisconsin and the mosquitoes can be unreal. Even with sprayed heavy with DEET, the buzzing and fluttering can take the joy out of a relaxing evening. I consider Thermacell as much a part of a relaxing evening grill out as my Weber grill.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

321 members (257 mag, 1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 28 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,644
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.