Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
iddave Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
John was a life-long mentor and dear friend. He passed away two years ago, and I still miss him immensely. I met him in the fall of 1991, when he stopped to see his son (my roommate) at the University of Idaho. He was on his way back to his home state of Alaska, from his first, (and unsuccessful) guided Wyoming elk hunt.

We immediately hit it off. He stayed with us for a week, and kept us well stocked in pizza and Bud Light. He was a recently retired long-haul truck driver, and was old-school cool. He wore Levi 501s, long sleeve Pendleton shirts, cowboy boots, and a true "trucker" hat that read "Colt" every single day I knew him...save those days we shared in elk-camp.

He was not wealthy, and in fact drove the same 20-year old Ford truck and lived in a very modest home for the two decades we were friends. He loved fine rifles though, and had acquired several over the years. He had forgotten more about guns, loads, and hunting than I'll ever know, and I could see as much even at the ignorant age of 19. He would later show me a photo-album full of moose, caribou, and Dall sheep taken in the wilds of Alaska with no help from anyone except the pilot that ferried him to and from his favorite hunting grounds.

I invited him out the following fall to join us in elk-camp, where he shot an excellent 6x6 off of the Lochsa River. He was immensely proud of that bull, and had every reason to be considering it grossed over 300 was taken on an OTC, general season unit.

He brought down his two most beloved rifles with him that first year. One was a .338 Win, and the other a .280 Rem…both in pre-64 actions, beautiful stocks, custom barrels, and Jewel triggers. I would sit on the couch and work the action of those rifles for hours when he stayed with me/us, which more or less came to be an annual in the years that followed.

I have always favored stainless Remington 700s in lightweight platforms wearing McMillan stocks, which stood in stark contrast to the beautiful treasures he took afield. I admired how he actually hunted with his rifles though, unlike so many other beautiful wood and blued rifles I knew of that were left behind in safes. One of the last photos he sent me was of him kneeling beside a beautiful Dall sheep and his .280 laying across the animal at the ripe old age of 62 in some of the most rugged country I had ever seen. John was a badazz, and I am still in awe of how hard he hunted even at a relatively advanced age.

Ironically enough, his own son (Ben) was never really interested in hunting/guns, and rarely engaged in our discussions…though the two of them enjoyed a relationship that would make any father/son envious. Two days ago Ben contacted me to say he was coming through my hometown of Boise, and had something from his dad he was dropping off. I was completely and totally shocked to learn that John had willed he beloved .280 to me. It is literally the finest rifle I have ever laid my hands on, and working the action just now brought tears to my eyes as I remembered the many great times we shared over the years.

I know at least one of his guns was an Al Biesen built gun, but I can't for the life of me remember if this .280 was that particular gun or not. It doesn't really matter though, as it was John's gun and that's plenty for me.

I think when October rolls around this year, I'll make an exception to my own, favored .280, and take Johns rifle along instead. It scares me to death to drag the damn thing into the wilds of Idaho, but I know he wouldn't have it any other way. Forgive the chitty photos, but the rifle's beauty still comes through imho…
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
BP-B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Great story, and awesome rifle... It does look like a Biesen, but I have only seen a couple.. Not to worry about hunting with that rifle.. Folks hunt with wood stocks for years.. They have beauty and character something plastic will never have.. Plus you can touch up minor marks if you choose, but to me that builds the character of the rifle..
Enjoy and remember your pal.. He is happy you are hunting with his rifle.

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Beautiful rifle and a great reminder of a treasured friendship.

If it is a Biesen, it should say so on top of the barrel. The Biesen website tells how to identify the real Biesen rifles.

I do not believe that is a Biesen, the shape is wrong. But that doesn't lessen the rifle one bit!

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Excellent treasure...

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Beautiful story and rifle. Thanks for sharing. When you hunt with that rifle, you'll know what we talk about when we say a rifle has soul because that one definitely has it!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Beautiful rifle and what a memory to carry. Good luck with it.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It never ceases to amaze me just how much of an impression we can make in another's life by simply sharing our passions. Great story and a real treasure in that rifle and the memories it will bring you time after time.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Great post, the type of post I wish we saw more of here. Beauty of a rifle, wonderful back story, and well written to boot. Thanks for sharing.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
We have all had friends/mentors that we admired and enjoyed spending time with in the field. Your story reminds me of one in particular. It brings back great memories. Thanks for sharing your story.

.280 AI Fan

"I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts" Will Rogers

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" Unknown

Trump 2024!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Ackleyman
We have all had friends/mentors that we admired and enjoyed spending time with in the field. Your story reminds me of one in particular. It brings back great memories. Thanks for sharing your story.

+1 . Dave that rifle has tons of mojo , your friend would be upset if you didn't use it .

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great story and a Grand rifle. I hope you get a chance at a big one with it.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
That's a beautiful rifle! Nothing beats using a rifle that has a heart and soul.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great story and rifle, Dave.
That one isn't meant to be but a mere remembrance - John had a plan for that one and it's not meant to spend it's existence in the safe.

Alas, you finally have a rifle you're not permitted to churn. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a heck of a nice rifle, and a great story with it as well. I hope you have much luck with that one, hoping for your post this fall showing it propped up on a critter or 2!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Your new rifle is not a Biesen BUT it may have been built by a very well regarded builder of that era. I need to have a close look and can tell you. I am very familiar with the builders of that period. Send a PM and we can get together.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Biesen or not, Dave. Shoot it, hunt it, treasure it! cool

Paul

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
... Shoot it, hunt it, treasure it! ...

+2 ...

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Dave,

What a great story. Thanks for sharing it with us. I've know several older fellas like that and perhaps I should share a story or two in a new thread. Of course the gift of such a beautiful rifle makes for a story long to remember,

I hope you get the chance to draw blood with it this fall, it would only be fitting.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
iddave Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Thanks for all the kind words gentlemen.I spent a couple of hours today drinking a Bud-light (or two), and just working the action. Man it's a nice stick.

I think what I'm most excited about is that my 12-year old son (Rowdy) had the good fortune to meet him a couple of times over the years, so he knows what a big deal this is for me. Rowdy already asked me if maybe he could use it on the relatively easy doe tag he drew this November. I think John would have loved that and I'll oblige both their wishes this fall.

Last edited by iddave; 06/29/15.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Dave,
that's about as good as life gets with regards to friends, rifles and hunting. When it comes to material things my rifles are on the top of my list and I can only hope they bring joy to my kids/grandkids/friends when my time comes.
Really, thanks for sharing such a wonderful gift/pictures...you are blessed and will know the true joy of caring such a rifle afield...and built based on the best action, it couldn't get any better!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
725 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,714 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,928
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.