Hop To
#10077164 06/28/15
I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I had a u joint go out on my post hole digger and need a new one. I can't figure how a guy could put those things in. Does a guy need to take it into a whop? I know it is a EG20 ? First joint to ever go on me.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Youtube has some pretty good video instructionals there.

Might look to see if it's something you can do yourself before spending money on the mechanic. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ihookem
I had a u joint go out on my post hole digger and need a new one. I can't figure how a guy could put those things in. Does a guy need to take it into a whop? I know it is a EG20 ? First joint to ever go on me.
This is just too good to let go...I never thought Italians were that good of mechanics. (whop) I do the same stroke mistake all the time. I end up laughing at it myself!

I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I hate that when I do that. . . and youtube it is I guess. Still need the u joint though.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Shouldn't be too hard to find or hard to fix. I laughed at the whop comment as I've made the same mistake writing the word "bigger".

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If you don't have a press, it will probably be easier to take it to a shop. Getting the pieces in and out and lined up just right to put the keepers in can be a real bear without the right tools.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If your careful you can use a hammer and small bar to remove and replace the ujoint... or,

Use a vise and sockets!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldman03

Use a vise and sockets!

Can't begin to remember how many I have done this way over the years! laugh laugh

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If you have access to a large vise then you should not have much problem after watching a few You-tube videos on the subject.
Be careful that the caps don't come off the new u-joint or you will be looking for dropped needle-bearing pins...it helps to wrap electricians tape across the 2 caps you'll press in last so you don't drop one of them while you're pressing the first 2.
It's really pretty easy after you do your first one and a good skill to learn.
If there is a grease zerk on the old one pay attention how it's situated before you remove the old joint and install the new one the same.

You'll do fine.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
You can find the one you need here. Go to the "journal and bearing" link. http://www2.dana.com/expert/wc.dll?cvsp~Dedsec~

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Oldman03
If your careful you can use a hammer and small bar to remove and replace the ujoint... or,

Use a vise and sockets!

Used to do that all the time when I was tearing them up Jeeping.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you take the drive shaft out of the digger, you might find that it is pretty reasonable to take it to a machinery repair place and have them put it in.
Some auto parts places have their own shops too.

It really isn't that hard to put them in yourself, if you have a large vise, as stated above. Just be careful not to dislodge all the little needles in the bearing caps. A bit of sticky grease can help here.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where I work we build custom drivelines. If you've done a couple hundred of them, a hammer, pliers, and an old socket to bang on is about all you need.
Otherwise, watch the vids or take it to a "whop".

Best of luck to yah.

Last edited by calikooknic; 06/28/15. Reason: fuggin autoincorrect

Sean
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you gotta ask, take it to a shop... or a "whop". It ain't hard if you can run a pair of snap ring pliers and a c-clamp or a hammer.

Pack the caps with grease appropriate to the situation. The grease they come with is to hold the needles in for packing, keep them from rusting on the shelf, and not much else.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Where I work we build custom drivelines. If you've done a couple hundred of them, a hammer, pliers, and an old socket to bang on is about all you need.
Otherwise, watch the vids or take it to a "whop".

Best of luck to yah.
i've always done it that way. will admit to getting the index finger with the hammer, danced a nice jig on that one. lost the nail to.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,121
Posts18,464,584
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.