-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 35 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 34 35
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As an aside, those trees to the river at Oak Alley are pretty cool.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MagMarc
Originally Posted by SAKO75
That flag is just badass. Period.

Well never know if the secession wouldve been a success or not, what we do know is our federal govt now has entirey too much power

+1

THIS

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by ltppowell

These trees....wife and I have about a dozen of the Mint Julep cups from there, that's what we typically drink them out of.

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Unity of purpose? Why in the frick would I want to have unity of purpose with someone from Massachusetts? I have more in common with your average Mexican than I do someone from Massachusetts. And besides, they work harder, are nicer, and have better food.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The Corwin Amendment is a proposed amendment to the United States Constitution passed by the 36th Congress on March 2, 1861 and submitted to the state legislatures for ratification....

Lincoln did believe that slavery was morally wrong, but there was one big problem: It was sanctioned by the highest law in the land, the Constitution. The nation’s founding fathers, who also struggled with how to address slavery, did not explicitly write the word “slavery” in the Constitution, but they did include key clauses protecting the institution, including a fugitive slave clause and the three-fifths clause, which allowed Southern states to count slaves for the purposes of representation in the federal government.... etc... etc... etc...

???

All this is saying then is when faced with imminent secession Lincoln would have left slavery in place if it would only preserve the Union?

Didn't Lincoln plainly state that his own self in that famous single sentence about preserving the Union?

You should note too that the Corwin Amendment said nothing about allowing slavery into the Territories that were not yet states, THAT ban being a fundamental tenet of Lincoln's election platform..

But, once the bullets were already flying, how was Lincoln's work on the Thirteenth Amendment, AND his reelection platform in '64 NOT about total abolition?

Their motives for doing this, as the platform clearly stated was to once and for all eliminate this fundamental divisive factor from the United States.

Some irony in that both sides agreed...

The Confederates (via Veep Alexander Stephens)....

The new [Confederate] Constitution has put at rest forever all the agitating questions relating to our peculiar institutions—African slavery as it exists among us—the proper status of the negro in our form of civilization. This was the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution. Jefferson, in his forecast, had anticipated this, as the "rock upon which the old Union would split." He was right.

...and the Lincoln Administration as expressed in their '64 reelection platform....

3. Resolved, That as slavery was the cause, and now constitutes the strength of this Rebellion,

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/j/jala/2629860.0014.204/--abraham-lincoln-and-the-politics-of-black-colonization?rgn=main;view=fulltext

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
But, hey, listen to Birdwatcher...he'll expound as to how every Southern fought for slavery or was pressed into service for the same (never mentioning the Germans and Irish pressed into service in the North against their will)

Sir, you didn't answer the question...

Both side instituted a draft, but that is not what we are talking here.

..what would have happened to people like that anonymous Austin TX carpenter in '61 if they did NOT side with secession?

For clues here in Texas google up the "Treue Der Union" monument in Comfort, and the largest public lynching/execution in our entire US history in Gainesville.

But it ain't just Texas, look up such incidents all across the South.

As for the sentiments of those guys actually in combat, drafted or not, in the '64 election the Union troops overwhelmingly voted for Lincoln like 5 to 1 even in the midst of the horrific bloodletting after Grant took command of the Army of the Potomac.

We dunno how the Confederate soldiers would have voted at that same time, we do know that the Confederate armies were by then evaporating out from under their commanders through steady losses to desertion despite the draconian punishments imposed for the same, tho' in fairness Confederate desertion in of itself at that time likely had little to do with political sentiment

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
despite family lineages and documentation (hint, family and individual diaries often held in museums or historical societies).

So quote them, so many people across the South are emotionally invested in this that they oughta be easy to find.

He'll go chapter and verse about a history that any damned Brit (born and/or raised and educated) has no attachment to and little comprehension of.

*SHRUG*, I expect yer just PO'd because you don't have an argument.

I'm not quoting my words, I'm quoting THEIRS, and taking them at their word.

Anyhoo... like most Americans you are plainly clueless about our original White homelands grin

It was my great good fortune to be schooled by an order of Irish Catholic Brothers, in an all-male setting, where both Latin and a liberal application of the strap were laid on early. I do clearly recall the strap (that sumbitch HURT grin) but sadly, little Latin tho when I came here in my early teens I was years ahead of my American peers in all but "Social Studies" (WTF??) which was rather shallow anyhow in that by comparison history as taught over there started like 2,000 years earlier grin

So... if you think Irish Catholics were/are "Brits" well hey, go for it Bub....

...and a point of clarity, I figure I am truly American by right of my father, who won it in principle with the Sixth Marines on Okinawa, and I was indeed born here, right outside of NYC, a citizen since I first drew breath. My folks just took a ship to England when I was four months old is all, see, they wanted us to have a good education, and brung us back later for the greater opportunities here once all that was achieved.

But, I can and have truly stated; I never set foot here until my early teens.

Actually, here in Texas I figure I am sorta like the Texians, see, all of THEM were from somewhere else also....

Birdwatcher

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by ltppowell

These trees....wife and I have about a dozen of the Mint Julep cups from there, that's what we typically drink them out of.

[Linked Image]

Run Forrest.... Ruuun
Some things just cant be "unseen" smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Look,my point is if the war was only about slavery the corwin amendment seems like it couldve stopped it or delayed it...the. you have lincoln who,was all for it yet is known as an abolitionist and has spielberg making movies about him yet doesnt mention this amendment nor the fact thay lincoln didnt see blacks as our equal

He does get a pass of sorts in how he is taught in revisionist history...by todays standards he would be a major racist

"....But the 13th Amendment we know now differs substantially from the one first proposed. The initial amendment would have made slavery constitutional and permanent — and Lincoln supported it.

This early version of the 13th Amendment, known as the Corwin Amendment, was proposed in December 1860 by William Seward, a senator from New York who would later join Lincoln’s cabinet as his first secretary of state.

The Corwin Amendment read as follows:

No amendment shall be made to the Constitution which will authorize or give to Congress power to abolish or interfere, within any State, with the domestic institutions thereof, including that of persons held to labor or service by the laws of said State.

The Corwin Amendment was an effort to placate the South and contain secessionist sentiment. It proposed to do three things. First, to protect slavery by giving each state the power to regulate the “domestic institutions” within its borders. This was an enticing carrot for the slave states: stay in the Union and you can keep slavery. Second, to dispossess Congress of the power to “abolish or interfere” with slavery. And third, to make itself unamendable by providing that “no amendment shall be made to the Constitution” that would undo the Corwin Amendment.

After Seward proposed the Corwin Amendment, then newly-elected President Lincoln defended the states’ right to adopt it. In his first inaugural address Lincoln declared that he had “no objection” to the Corwin Amendment, nor that it be made forever unamendable. He didnt seem too worried about blacks

The Corwin Amendment won two-thirds support in both the House and the Senate in early 1861. Ohio was the first state to ratify the amendment, and Maryland and Illinois followed suit, but the onset of the Civil War interrupted the states’ ratification of the amendment. Had it been ratified, however, the Corwin Amendment would have become the 13th Amendment, forever protecting slavery instead of abolishing it"

Last edited by SAKO75; 06/28/15.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
This early version of the 13th Amendment, known as the Corwin Amendment, was proposed in December 1860 by William Seward, a senator from New York who would later join Lincoln’s cabinet as his first secretary of state.

The Corwin Amendment guaranteed slavery where it already existed, LIMITING the power of the Federal government to abolish it, and Lincoln supported that.

Odd coming from a Lincoln who is held up around these parts as being the original Federalist Beelzebub hisself....

....and then Lincoln does an about-face on the slavery issue with the Thirteenth Amendment unequivocally abolishing slavery and his clearly-stated '64 reelection tenet to that effect.

Inconsistent?

Naah....

Lincoln's own words, published for all to see in an open letter to the Abolitionist Horace Greeley the August 20th, 1862 edition of the New York Tribune....

If I could save the Union without freeing any slave, I would do it; and if could save it by freeing all the slaves, I would do it.…

For context it should be noted that Lincoln openly declared that at a time when the outcome of that war was still very much in doubt. I wish all presidents would be so forthright and plain-spoken.

The Corwin Amendment was a last-ditch effort to stave off secession, so of course Lincoln supported it. When that didn't work the Thirteenth Amendment was intended to finally eradicate an institution which both sides agreed had been the cause of the war, so of course Lincoln supported that too.

Note once again however that the Corwin Amendment did NOT alter the ban on slavery in Federal territories, ensuring that the residents of those areas when statehood arrived would include but few with any compelling economic stake in propagating slavery and hence vote themselves in as Free States,at one stroke further marginalizing the Slave States and effectively cutting them off from participation in the future of the nation.

Birdwatcher

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
despite family lineages and documentation (hint, family and individual diaries often held in museums or historical societies).

So quote them, so many people across the South are emotionally invested in this that they oughta be easy to find.

He'll go chapter and verse about a history that any damned Brit (born and/or raised and educated) has no attachment to and little comprehension of.

Anyhoo... like most Americans you are plainly clueless about our original White homelands grin

It was my great good fortune to be schooled by an order of Irish Catholic Brothers, in an all-male setting, where both Latin and a liberal application of the strap were laid on early. I do clearly recall the strap (that sumbitch HURT grin) but sadly, little Latin tho when I came here in my early teens I was years ahead of my American peers in all but "Social Studies" (WTF??) which was rather shallow anyhow in that by comparison history as taught over there started like 2,000 years earlier grin

So... if you think Irish Catholics were/are "Brits" well hey, go for it Bub....

...and a point of clarity, I figure I am truly American by right of my father, who won it in principle with the Sixth Marines on Okinawa, and I was indeed born here, right outside of NYC, a citizen since I first drew breath. My folks just took a ship to England when I was four months old is all, see, they wanted us to have a good education, and brung us back later for the greater opportunities here once all that was achieved.

But, I can and have truly stated; I never set foot here until my early teens.

Actually, here in Texas I figure I am sorta like the Texians, see, all of THEM were from somewhere else also....

Birdwatcher

I've seen you pull this schit time and again; trying to rewrite people's familial history of which you haven't a clue.

You want to see the proof? Hop on your wee bike and go find it. It's there, and in publicly accessible places. As for quoting it for you; F'k that. Earn it and learn it.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Birdwatcher

You apparently didn't hear the word of a lot of people, just the information that you chose to read, which maybe someone else already:

Bend[ed], twist[ed], recast[ed], rephrase[d]

You're opening argument is to quote 5 articles of secession that supposedly govern 65% of the population as proof that the whole thing is about slavery.

As if the popular vote of those 5 were for it, not to mention the remaining people in the other states who's articles mention nothing of it.

What was the reason for those remaining states then? Shouldn't you quote them and take them at their word?

Gee, sorry you got the strap in school. But that does foist your CV into some sort of savant status....Glad that the Irish folks were so thorough in your history studies.

Lord knows they never dabbled in revisioninsm..

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've seen you pull this schit time and again; trying to rewrite people's familial history of which you haven't a clue.

You want to see the proof? Hop on your wee bike and go find it. It's there, and in publicly accessible places.

Let us speak plainly.

The real problem is, when asked to put up or shut up on this specific issue you got nothing.

Truth is important, and the people back them spoke it and wrote it as they knew it. Much as we might fervently wish people back then lived in our same reality, it weren't so.

On the 4th I'll be at the Alamo dressed out 1836. Travis of course famously brung his slave Joe and Bowie among other things had previously tried to make his fortune buying, selling and illegally smuggling them. Crockett AFAIK was largely silent on the topic tho his principled stance against Indian Removal whatever the cost to his career is but one of the things that makes him so admirable.

ALL of these guys were justly respected by those who knew them as good and honorable men regardless of their own degree of involvement in what to us today was a morally reprehensible institution, an actual atrocity.

Its like Noah Smithwick (who, tho pro-Union, owned two slaves in 1861) said; times were different back then.

As for quoting it for you; F'k that. Earn it and learn it.

Aye, there's the rub.... you yourself ain't ever hardly looked at all, else you'd be all over it <shrug>

Birdwatcher

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I still want someone to answer where Lincoln got his constitutional authority to use force to preserve the Union?

Where does the Constitution say the POTUS may do that?

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 4ager

You want to see the proof? Hop on your wee bike and go find it. It's there, and in publicly accessible places.

Let us speak plainly.

The real problem is, when asked to put up or shut up on this specific issue you got nothing.

Truth is important, and the people back them spoke it and wrote it as they knew it. Much as we might fervently wish people back then lived in our same reality, it weren't so.

On the 4th I'll be at the Alamo dressed out 1836. Travis of course famously brung his slave Joe and Bowie among other things had previously tried to make his fortune buying, selling and illegally smuggling them. Crockett AFAIK was largely silent on the topic tho his principled stance against Indian Removal whatever the cost to his career is but one of the things that makes him so admirable.

ALL of these guys were justly respected by those who knew them as good and honorable men regardless of their own degree of involvement in what to us today was a morally reprehensible institution, an actual atrocity.

Its like Noah Smithwick (who, tho pro-Union, owned two slaves in 1861) said; times were different back then.

Originally Posted by 4ager
As for quoting it for you; F'k that. Earn it and learn it.

Aye, there's the rub.... you yourself ain't ever hardly looked at all, else you'd be all over it <shrug>

Birdwatcher

The men who enlisted to fight for the Confederate States of America were more varied in motivations and backgrounds than what is commonly realized or known. The soldiers who went to fight were not just native Southern white males or rich slave-holding plantation owners, but were also of foreign birth, native French-speaking Creoles, and even of Northern origin. There were also Mexican-Americans who enlisted, but the most surprising of those who chose to enlist to fight, or even wanted to enlist to fight for the Confederacy, were Native- Americans and African-Americans! None of these groups come to mind as Rebel soldiers, but they were. Of course that brings about a very probing question. Why did they enlist or want to enlist? To understand "native" white Southerners will be looked at first. What will be dealt with is the fact that many did not even consider slavery the major motivation to enlist, or even one at all. This tends to indicate that slavery was not the overriding factor to all white Southerners, or the even only factor (as common historical teachings, specifically school textbooks, have dictated).

In the South, 385,000 families owned slaves, out of a white population of 1,516,000 families.1 In the Army of Northern Virginia, for example, the majority of soldiers did not come from families that even had a direct personal stake in slavery.2 Therefore, "it was not the issue of slavery for which the average officer or enlisted man went to war." Actually, what really motivated them to enlist was their tremendous pride in their own land and what they and their fathers had achieved, "combined with a general dislike of Northerners stemming from most superficial knowledge of the real people who inhabited the northern states".3

Many white Confederate soldiers stated reasons other than slavery as motivations for enlisting. After the secession of the state of Virginia, "Benjamin W. Jones found that 'the determination to resist invasion-the first and most sacred duty of a free people-became general, if not universal'". Historian William C. Davis then stated, "that determination sent him into the army, and thousands more with him".4 Carlton McCarthy wrote in his memoir with some poetic prose, that the Southerner "dared not refuse to hear the call to arms, so plain was the duty and so urgent the call. His brethren and friends were answering the bugle-call and the sound of the drum," and "to stay was dishonor and shame"!5 Defense of the home and duty with honor seemed to be very strong primary reasons for enlisting for the average Confederate soldier. McCarthy's quote points out another factor as well. The power of one's peers.

Popular pressure was a very strong factor for enlisting to fight for the Confederacy (as well as the Union). Thousands of persons indifferent to enlisting, and even many who were openly opposed to it, were swept like a wave into the ranks in 1861 by the tremendous force of popular pressure.6

The defense of the women of the South was another strong motivating factor for many white Southern males. The women offered thanks to the men who enlisted "but turned with coolest disdain from those who were reluctant to come forward in defense of Southern womanhood".7

But again many volunteered not from any great enthusiasm, but simply because enlistment was the trendy thing to do .8 Therefore, peer pressure had the strongest influence. All of these reasons seem to have motivated members of the yeoman class to enlist, because most of them viewed the defense of slavery as "to protect the fortunes and property of a leisured upper-class that most (of them) looked upon with hatred, envy and contempt".9

The yeoman class had no slaves to fight for, they had some property, their families, and their native states. They also had something else as their property to protect, and that "was their white skins which put them on a plane of civil equality with slave holders and far above those who did not possess that property," as stated by Princeton University historian, James M. McPherson.10 Since many could not read or write very well (or at all), they were not given much of a chance to defend themselves to later generations from statements like Dr. McPherson's. It should be stated as fact that racism was very strong at that time, in the North as well as the South. It was simply the pattern of thought in the 1800s that the white class was superior, even though it was not true.

One motivation that has been around since recorded time (and certainly even before then), was the want for adventure.11 It is doubtful that particular motivation was that strong after being in the storm of combat. War has never been the romantic event that has been portrayed in writings, only a "living hell."

Many high-ranking Confederates showed reasons for enlisting other than slavery. The examples consist of generals (or future generals). Robert E. Lee believed in neither slavery nor secession, but would fight for his old Virginia.12 Ambrose Powell Hill, better known as A.P. Hill, chose to fight for the defense of his state, Virginia, even thought he was deeply opposed to slavery.13 John C. Breckenridge, of Kentucky (a boarder state), a one-time Vice-President of the United States, sided with the Confederacy primarily for his home-state's self-defense from the North.14 The individual motivations are endless.

Not only did Southerners and "boarder-staters" enlist (Kentucky, Missouri, Maryland and Delaware) to fight for the Confederacy, but so did Northerners themselves!15 Their motivations are varied (to be sure), but it can be speculated that economic or family ties had something to do with this phenomenon. Ideology and sympathy for "the cause" also had influence on these men to serve with what their fellow Northerners called "the enemy."

An interesting class of Southerners were the French-speaking white Creoles of Louisiana. The general motivation for them enlisting after Louisiana seceded was "the American-born French were fighting for their freedom from oppression and the French-born residents were helping them; together,"Liberate" in the sense of 1789 was again ringing in the ears of the American Gaul".16 Therefore, the defense of liberty seems to be the primary motivation here, but definitely not necessarily the rule. For those French immigrants who enlisted to fight for the Confederacy, it must be stated that many were motivated by the "defense of the South, as holy a task as the American Revolution, and the enlistees vowed to bear hardships as great as Washington's before they would fail".17 The French were not alone with this show of patriotism, but other foreigners followed their own motivations. Those immigrants who fought for the Confederacy were an interesting and diverse group. They came from many nationalities, like the French, the Irish, the Germans, the Scottish, and the English being the most prominent. The two largest of these groups were the Germans and the Irish.

http://www.wvculture.org/history/wvhs1404.html

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Lincoln invaded VA. My people joined to to protect VA. Pretty simple.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Arkansas, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia did not secede until after Lincoln announced the invasion to subdue the Confederacy and ordered them to provide troops.

Arkansas' ordinance of secession is quite clear that the reason it left were Lincoln's illegal actions of invading sovereign states. Arkansas had already had a secession convention and decided to stay in the Union deciding that slavery and the other issues were not enough reason to leave.

Last edited by JoeBob; 06/28/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MagMarc
Lincoln invaded VA. My people joined to to protect VA. Pretty simple.

My people in Va and NC did the same.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Page 15 of 35 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 34 35

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

701 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 73 invisible), 3,186 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,584
Posts18,454,243
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.