-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I know damn little about computers, good friend shrap. And I don't work for anybody. But I know that the few things I've done to make all of my internet viewing better also work perfectly on this site. I can't explain the whys or the hows, all I can do is report that I never have an issue here or anywhere else.

I said once before that I'd never venture into this thread topic again - and have clearly failed to keep that promise. But I will from now on.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Same here.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Originally Posted by mathman
For my old PC and Firefox I put on Adblock Plus and squelched most of the BS.

You're a person of logic,

tell me why I only experience issues on the fire, and no where else,

And you're suggesting "I" should fix the problem?

I would come over and fix the problem for you if we lived closer. After all it might take two minutes to make all the problems go away. Since it is to far for me to walk and I cannot drive any longer I see three choices for you , maybe three. You could take two minutes and download any form of Ad-Block. There is Ad-Block, Ad-Block Plus, or my favourite Ad-Block Edge. They are all free. They all work. They are available under the ADD-ons section in your browser. Second choice would be to have someone come fix the problem who is not to lazy to do it. Third choice is do nothing but bitch and whine.

This is a free sight. Rick does all the work and supplies all the servers and software. Now you may work for free but Rick likes to eat so he has ads. I will never understand the idea he should do all this without any source of compensation.

If your favourite firearm had a problem you would fix it. If your favourite forum has a problem it is someone else's fault. crazy

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Shrap is 100 percent correct. After the "Great Fix" that Rick announced a few months back, this site went from bad to completely unusable on my computer using IE for a browser. I'm sure it's me 'cause the other 20 or 30 websites on my computer all work perfectly fine and lightning quick.

While trying to figure out a way to make this site work, I noticed the Google Chrome icon on my desktop. Don't remember why it was downloaded, but opened it up and logged on to the 'fire and shazam-works just fine. I would prefer to be able to use IE with this site since that's what we use for everything else, but if it takes switching to Chrome for this site only, I can live with that. Meanwhile, I'm sure the folks at IE are hard at work trying to fix their flawed browser so that it will work with 24HourCampfire.com.

And here's a preemptive GFY to those that are about to rake me over the coals for using Chrome. I'm sure it's anti-gun, pro-everything left-wing you can think of. I don't give a s#it. Until the idiots a IE can get their act together so it will work with this site, I gotta use Chrome.
Rant over.

Edit to add: I don't have any problem with the advertising and understand that is what pays for site. Almost every other free site has ads and they don't lock up and become unresponsive like the campfire does.

Last edited by Steve_in_OR; 06/28/15.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
actually some of the folks complaining the most about a free site, if they would simply leave, it would make the site itself much better and cleaner place to be.

Not directed at any one specific poster. Heck I can't even see comments from many of them.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Steve_in_OR
Shrap is 100 percent correct. After the "Great Fix" that Rick announced a few months back, this site went from bad to completely unusable on my computer using IE for a browser. I'm sure it's me 'cause the other 20 or 30 websites on my computer all work perfectly fine and lightning quick.

While trying to figure out a way to make this site work, I noticed the Google Chrome icon on my desktop. Don't remember why it was downloaded, but opened it up and logged on to the 'fire and shazam-works just fine. I would prefer to be able to use IE with this site since that's what we use for everything else, but if it takes switching to Chrome for this site only, I can live with that. Meanwhile, I'm sure the folks at IE are hard at work trying to fix their flawed browser so that it will work with 24HourCampfire.com.

And here's a preemptive GFY to those that are about to rake me over the coals for using Chrome. I'm sure it's anti-gun, pro-everything left-wing you can think of. I don't give a s#it. Until the idiots a IE can get their act together so it will work with this site, I gotta use Chrome.
Rant over.

Edit to add: I don't have any problem with the advertising and understand that is what pays for site. Almost every other free site has ads and they don't lock up and become unresponsive like the campfire does.

I have read even Microsoft is giving up on IE and it will not be part of the next release.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Steve_in_OR

Rant over.

Using safari here.

Interesting that its the sites fault since you have others that work, IE websites and forums, yet I and quite a few others have zero problems with this site.

Not taking you to task as much as just saying figured a way here to avoid an occasional pop up quite a while back, figuring others can too.

Also worked fine on my work PC computer. Not so sure what I use there but fairly sure it was IE.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the advice on ad-block and such, but I downloaded ad-block about 5 years ago on my desktop, and yes it works. You may have noticed where I said,

I just never experienced it till last week.

And yes I fully understand that the fault lays with Me and the Hilton hotel chain.

Carry on...............

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hilton??!!! What happened with the Embassy Suites??

NM just remembered Hilton bought ES. Freaking Paris Hilton screws everything up!!

Last edited by byc; 06/28/15.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks for the advice on ad-block and such, but I downloaded ad-block about 5 years ago on my desktop, and yes it works. You may have noticed where I said,

And yes I fully understand that the fault lays with Me and the Hilton hotel chain.

Carry on...............

Remove and reload Ad-Block or use one of the other Ad-Block Add-ons. As I stated I like Ad-Block Edge.

IC B3

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Scott F

Carry on...............

Remove and reload Ad-Block or use one of the other Ad-Block Add-ons. As I stated I like Ad-Block Edge.

Scott, just stop the insanity.... I have AD-block and Ad-block plus on my desktop now...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How you been Scott? I would tell you all that I am running Win7 and IE, AB+ and have no problems with this site.
But I swore to stay out of these threads lest I buy a .270 which is so gay.
So I wont say it. laugh

Hope all is well.

Swifty
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
laugh laugh laugh

All is well at our place. We might even get a little much needed rait this evening.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm a cyber stupid as it gets but Even I was able to upload ad-blocker. Less than a minute and POOF no more problems on IE or Chrome. I also have AVG free anti-virus but that's it.
Course I'm on a laptop. Don't have a phone cept for my land line but I do have a tablet my sister gave me for Christmas.
Can't figure out how to do chit on that dam thing cept take unexpected pix of myself so it's sets in a drawer.

Sometimes ignorance really is bliss.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's the same old topic that's come up a couple of times a month for the past several years.

Nothing has changed and nothing is going to change

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Rost,
I'm not talking about pop-ups and other ads. I don't get pop-ups on this site and the banner ads at the top, side, and bottom of the page don't bother me in the least.
What I'm talking about is the site just doesn't work. It either takes forever to get from one page to another, won't back up, goes to "blank page", locks up on a page, or you get the dreaded "24hourcampfire is not responding" banner at the bottom of the page. This has gone on for years in varying degrees. If I hear "clear your cookies" or get Adblocker one more time I might just get a little testy.

If the rationale that since half the people on here have no such problems, it's the fault of those of us that do, why does't it follow that I can log onto any of thirty or so sites that I have in my favorites list and have absolutely no such problems, that it isn't in some way a problem with this site.

My last beef is with those that keep saying that this is a free site so you can't complain. Has television been free for the last 60 years? Did the networks not give a damn what their viewers thought? Advertising is what pays the bills. More viewers or more registered members in the case of websites will result in more ad revenue.

This site is a great resource for anything gun and hunting related as well as entertaining. It is however, technically flawed.

Steve

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Steve, I wish I had an answer for you. I have never experienced the problems so many others have.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
I just don't know what you guys are going on about.

Originally Posted by Scott F
Steve, I wish I had an answer for you. I have never experienced the problems so many others have.

Me either.. I've simply not had any of the above issues on this site - but maybe it's because I only use a desktop PC and Chrome..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
And I use a laptop duel boot running Ubuntu OS with Firefox and Windows 7 with Firefox. Neither gives me any problems here.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (7mm_Loco, 2500HD, Anaconda, 808outdoors, Akpilot, 8 invisible), 1,204 guests, and 766 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,120
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.