Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1899sav Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Any-Body remember the MOD SQUAD?
Well Yesterday on ME T.V. had an Episode Of Mod SQUAD with Richard PRIOR as a Musician,
And they were protecting him,
Sniper pulled out a Savage Take-Down Scoped
Was cool to See.

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Was Peggy Lipton on it? Drool drool wink
yooper

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
Start watching at the 22:30 mark.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good catch! Full threaded, so probably a 99G.

At 21:45 on the youtube version.

[Linked Image]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJa6HGHVK0Y

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Proving once again why lever actions should be limited to 50 yards or less. grin

LOL
IC B2

1899sav Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by diamondjim
Start watching at the 22:30 mark.

Tnx Jim For Pulling Up the LINK!

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
1899sav Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Proving once again why lever actions should be limited to 50 yards or less. grin

NA! Roy, Not the Gun, Just the Shooter, Besides Link Saw Him and Rescued Prior.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd rather be rescued by Peggy Lipton!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know what the mod squad is but while watching The High Road with Keith Warren be pulled out a highly engraved C, as in clip, when he was chasing a mountain lion. The gun was high, high condition. I'll try to take a pic of it Off the tv.

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by 1899sav
Any-Body remember the MOD SQUAD?
Well Yesterday on ME T.V. had an Episode Of Mod SQUAD with Richard PRIOR as a Musician,
And they were protecting him,
Sniper pulled out a Savage Take-Down Scoped
Was cool to See.

TVland is a hangout for me occasionally too Steve...guess things come full circle in life sometimes, and some of the shows you grew up watching are still fun to watch.

One older show I really miss, is COMBAT. It used to be on now and then, but I havent been able to catch it for quite a while now..

thanks for posting!

dave

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
The ultimate TV show would have been Steve McQueen guest starring on COMBAT while carrying a 99 and riding around in a Rat Patrol jeep, going up against Sgt. Schultz and his squad. (Note: Schultz carried a .30-40 Krag. What the heck was up with the prop managers on those old shows. Were they drunk half the time?)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They didn't and still don't know sh*t. Have I ever mentioned that I worked some in the film industry? Mostly rented them old Harleys and Chevy pickups. The ignorance and arrogance of some of those people was amazing. About 20 years ago a movie called "Enemy at the Gate" came out. The theater poster showed some Russian rifle with the bolt on the left side. They'd obviously flipped the negative over.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I noticed that he had the lever closed when trying to install the barrel. That is a NO NO.

On top of that, the guy couldn't hit squat with that 99. Also left 3 shells in the rifle when he ran off with it. Not a very good showing for the dude.

God is pursuing you America ---turn around!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey, it was '60s TV. Who in that industry back then, or for that matter now, knew/knows? grin It's kinda like when my wife and I are watching a movie and she asks me what's coming next. All that I can say is that "I didn't right the script." grin

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Yet many more good reasons for never getting your history lessons from Hollywood.

PS - I'd like to add that Steve McQueen should be supported with an a good carpet bombing delivered by the guys from Twelve O'Clock High. While 99s are great you can never have too many B-17s!

Last edited by S99VG; 07/02/15.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Yep. In the whole scheme of things, B-17's trump just about anything!

While History-by-Hollywood is ludicrous, it does serve a purpose by lighting an inquisitive fire in the occasional viewer, to go forth and learn something. But most often not, sadly. Heck, I've met kids who firmly believed in the existence of zombies, based on TV experience. We're doomed.

I wonder how many viewers 50 years ago jumped up from their TV sets and ran out in search of a M99G.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Father and several of my uncles were B-17 crewman. My uncle got to go for a ride on one in Jan. He was nearly blind but still loved it. He probably got chilled waiting on the tarmac to make the flight and died of pnuemonia 10 days later. He was 90. I'm really glad he got to make one more flight on a B-17 before he passed away. David

wyo1895
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So sorry for your loss of your Uncle but glad that he did get that one last flight. We're losing about 1,000 WWII vets a day and soon they'll be gone. Sad, but that's the way of the human race.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
My uncle who was an infantryman in the 1st Division and who participated in every campaign of the 1st from day one to the bitter end (getting wounded three times in the process), would walk out of the room when Combat! came on. I guess I had a sobering take on the meaning of it all from an early age as a result.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The youngest of the WWII vets are pushing 90 now.
One of my uncles who we think was flying over the hump in Asia wouldn't talk about any of his war experiences. He said the psychologist told him to not talk about his war experiences. My Father was flying out of England between June 1943 and February 1944 and went through some hellacious experiences. The psychologist told him he should talk about his experiences. Go figure. My brother and I need to write down everything we can remember that he told us. But we keep putting it off. David

wyo1895
[email protected]

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Do it now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Keith Warren was given a 99CE by Ron Coburn during a pig hunt here in Texas. Did not see The High Road but suspect this may be the fancy rifle. Tom

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
My Dad would have been 90 this last June 20th. He learned his trade turning wrenches on Liberators and Flying Fortresses in the Mighty Eighth. I was able to publish some of his stories to the 487th Bomb Group website about a year before he passed. He was never onto firearms, but from a very young age he did instill in me an appreciation for the heavy bombers and the hell they endured. Thanks Dad, wherever you are this fine day.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You're right Gnoahhh. I'll probably start on it today. My brother is coming here in about a month and maybe we can polish it up then.

wyo1895
[email protected]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Get to it David. My Dad was stationed in India, with the 412th. He seemed to get into more trouble than anything else. When he got to India one of his home town buddies was already there. Herbert, my Dad's buddy, spoke a couple languages and several dialects, and had made friends with the big shots in several of the local villages. They used to get Herbert and Dad to do animal control for them. Once they had a troop of some kind of monkey ripping up the village, they ate some fermented fruit and had them all drunk, the monkey's, that is. Dad shot one in the chest with an M1. He said it stood up and put a finger in the bullet hole, held it's bloody hand out, then fell out of the tree. He said it looked so like a human he could never hurt a monkey again. Another time they had a man killing tiger in a village and he and Herbert rigged up an ambulance with a twin 50 waist gun, a floor full of batteries and a couple headlights off a plane. Unfortunately, the rains had started up river, and they lost the ambulance in the river. He had to do 30 days in confinement for that one, and pay for the ambulance on the monthly deduction plan. He said he got off easy on that one because they never recovered the ambulance so they never found out about the machine gun mounted in the back. He also contracted Jungle Fever and Brain Malaria at the same time. He got a 10% disability for that, but after the war he never applied for it. He passed away in 2004 at 81. He was so healthy I thought he'd make it to 100 easy. Prostrate cancer got him. I still miss him every day, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a great story Joe.
I mentioned in another post that I started the writeup on my Dad yesterday. I guess he was really straight-laced. He didn't drink for one thing. I mentioned that because the ground people would give the flight crews a shot of scotch when they returned to sort of calm them down before their debriefing. My Father and several others who didn't drink would give their scotch to the drinkers. By the time they'd get to the debriefing a couple of the guys would have had three or four shots of scotch. These were of course the guys who started telling about seeing German fighters that didn't have propellers. After that they didn't get their scotch until after the debriefing. My Father said he saw one of those propeller-less fighters but he sure wasn't reporting anything that preposterous. What they were seeing were the early German prototype jet fighters. David

wyo1895
[email protected]

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Ye Gods and little fishes! Were it me crawling out of a bomber after spending all day dodging flak and fighters, I wouldn't give the bottle back if someone handed it to me!

The half dozen or so guys I knew who were flight crew/pilots in B-26's and B-24's were all lushes and died relatively young. My best friend's dad was a B-24 tail gunner and had a framed certificate on the wall bestowing the official title of Ace on him- he shot down five German fighters from back there in his own personal little corner of hell. I bet he consumed a bottle a day, and died in 1977. Thank God he was a happy drunk, and would talk about the War on rare occasions- mostly stories about a certain motorcycle and pub crawling around England.

Met an old guy in a saloon a couple years ago who was a P-38 pilot based on Guadalcanal, and who participated in the raid that shot down Yamamoto. But that was about all I could squeeze out of him. I was mainly impressed that there he was at age 90-something, hanging out in a bar!

Last edited by gnoahhh; 07/05/15.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Tail gunners did not bode well. It was a dangerous position for attacking fighters and they usually took them out. Seems to me that I once heard that the tail gun position had the shortest life expectancy of all the positions (ten on a B 17) once the plane entered into combat.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

561 members (1minute, 270wsmnutt, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 160user, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,145 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,291
Posts18,448,932
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.