Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
A 300WM is the LAST rifle cartridge I would EVER own. They kick and are IMHO just plain uncomfortable. Give me my Ruger stainless 338 or my custom built 416 Taylor over any 300 WM any day. The stainless M77 is my second one and I have a Pre 64 338 as well. I have taken a 338 to Africa twice and Alaska twice. The Grizzly took a second shot only for insurance and the Moose well he was just to slow to know he was dead but he took 3 before he dropped all killing well placed shots. A Greater Kudu, Warthog, Eland, Blue Wildebeest, Zebra, and a Bushbuck all fell to a single shot as well as a 6X6 Elk in Colorado. The Elk was in 2001 and I haven't shot a 338 since then. IF I ever get the chance to hunt an Elk again the only rifle I'd consider is the 338. I'd take a FWT 06 as well but only as a back up rifle.
A 338 will do everything a 300WM can and then some the reverse just doesn't apply. Unfortunately I only have deer here to hunt and if one got real lucky you might draw a Elk tag. I got one in 2001 for a cow but took the 416 Taylor. Another problem if you can call it a problem is that there are 35+ rifles capable of taking deer or larger game and I only have two deer tags a year.

Last edited by GSPfan; 06/28/15.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree about the 338 over 300 WM. I had one and sold it right quick when I got my first 338. That thing kicked so bad I almost felt guilty selling it to someone. Almost that is, then I figured he should learn like I did,

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Razz
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Scotty, sometimes I wonder if you, me and Dewey are the only ones that like/love the 338 win mag. I think RGK and Razz and maybe GSPfan may have one as well, but they don't talk about theirs much...

I too love my 338! The Alaskan I picked up this year really likes 225 Partitions pushed by 72.5 gr RL19. Groups under 1 inch all day long, best is just under 0.70 for 3 shots. There is a pic of the group in one of my posts here. My previous 338 was from another maker, stainless and plastic, heart less bitch with no warmth to cuddle up to, but boy could she shoot! 210 Partions fueled by 76.5 gr RL19 and chrono'd at 2955 fps. Accounted for a couple elk and one mule deer. Sold the gun to my son's room mate up in Wyo and he's hoping to fil his tags with it this year.
We didn't pull Elk archery tags this year so we picked up antlerless tags here in NM. Have some friends joining us from back east so I may not take my 338 this trip, still undecided. i have an 1890 vintage 1886 in 40/82 that I would love to dump an elk with.

Not to worry though, the 338 Alaskan will be my go to for my NM Safari. I pulled a once in a lifetime Oryx tag on White Sands this coming January. The 338 is just the medicine the doctor ordered.

RAZZ, I'd love to hear stories and see pictures of your upcoming hunt/safari in NM. Good luck with your hunting!! I think your 338 will work very well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BSA, will do. Im hoping to have 1886 Winnie Elk pictures too!

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
B
beretzs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Well, I would never argue with the effectiveness of a 300 Win and 180 or 200 grain bullets that are tough. I don't particularly notice much difference in recoil either between two like rifles. I just like my 338 a little more. Seems to work well for me for my hunting and areas I like to hunt. It's kept what should've been a rodeo minimal.

The 338 seems to be pretty accurate for me as well. Can't find too much to not like about mine but is be darned if I wouldn't do the same things with a 300 Win or my 7mm Mashburn either. I do seem to note a little more affect from the bigger 338's and 358's but get back to me in 40 years. Should have a better idea then... whistle

Semper Fi
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I'm wondering if winpoor is going to give us a range report on his new 338?????

Ive got to make a run to Bass Pro for a set of Leupold DD's, and 30 mm rings, Ive found a Leupold 4.5X 14 x 40 MM LR scope with the side focus AO and varmint hunter reticule. Im thinking with these 230 gr fail safe ammo it will be the cats meow. Im still on the hunt for and Echolds legend stock and someone to inlet it for me. I have every pre 64 I will ever need now, so Im working on moving about 40 post and pre 64's that I have 2 of. Unless its a deal thats just to good to pass on Im done buying. I cannot wait to get my pre war 22 hornet target, and 257 BOB Varminter ( it started life as a target) home from my FFL ,gunsmith. I have my first grandson, and a favorite nephew to teach what I know of hunting,shooting and Winchesters to now. My nephew just won his shooting merit badge and amazed the folks working with him on his gun hold ,breathing and trigger control, he told them 'Uncle Steve' taught him that years ago, the fellow is 12 now! One more merit badge and he is an Eagle !! Im very happy. very best WinPoor

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Your really going to shoot that gun and deflower her? The shame of it, the shame:)

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Mr GSP, I passed on popping the cherry on that BULL gun, I did deflower the 264 win mag. I pick this 338 up and look at it twice a week. Ive not done the deed yet but Im happy to have it, I really wanted that new 300 win mag that popped up a few weeks ago but he passed it on to a dealer before I got photos. I like the 300's sure they kick but my low comb 30-06 does to and on game I never seem to notice. The seller that has not sent the box that I have already paid shipping on seems to have fallen off the radar as far as answering phone calls and emails! Im not one to slander folks on the computer but I do have folks in his neck of the woods that can track him down. Everything went fine save the dog dam box! v best WinPoor

Last edited by winchesterpoor; 06/30/15.
B
beretzs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Good luck WP. Sounds like a beautiful rifle. Just be warned, those 230 Fail Safes are TOUGH pills... I still have a box of them left and they will penetrate far and open up well, up close, but man, I'd be scared of them not opening up very well unless you smack a lot of bone on a whitetail..

If I get a chance, I will run one of them into the water jugs from my Alaskan for you.

Winchester 200 grain AB is good stuff though. For factory ammo it is very accurate and fairly quick as well.

Can't wait to see a picture of your Alaskan. The Legend sounds perfect for it.

Semper Fi
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
733 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,709 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.