Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
For fun's, I tested out (5) different 7mm 175 bullets, shooting into dry print at 100 yards distance.

Dry print btw is brutal on bullets!!

I used a Tikka T3 SL in 7mm Rem Mag.

All the bullets were loaded with 70.0 grains of Retumbo for an average mv of 2,950 to 2,970.
Using a Magneto Chronograph.

Results for penetration and weight retention.

Nosler 175 Partition....... 9.0" 110.0 grains.. width .55

Nosler 175 LRAB........... 4.0" completely shattered bullet.

Sierra 175 Game King......8.5" 88.0 grains.. width .76

Hornaday 175 round nose.... 8.5" completely shattered bullet.

Hornaday 175 Interlock..... 8.0" 85.0. grains... width .78

Nosler 160 AB...............8.0" 69.0 grains....width .69

Interesting enough, in regards to the Sierra bullet, I can't confirm but my understanding is that Brian Litz measured the Sierra 175 GK at .559 BC and the Nosler Partiton at .453

I have killed elk using the Sierra and would not hesitate using the bullet on a trophy bull elk hunt. It is very accurate and would make a good long range 7mm bullet.
It penetrated within a .5" of the Partition.
I believe the Sierra is often overlooked.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd like to try that with the 180 scenar and 168 Berger hybrid. Bit surprised the 160 accubond did so well.

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I like the Berger 168 Hybrid too and would use it on a broadside elk. Sure would not want to rake one with it.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, dry newsprint is a sure-enough test for bullets.

I have also had good results with the 160 Sierra GK from the 7x57 in dry paper--and on game.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Your results don't surprise me too much as I've sectioned most of those bullets and, with the exception of the 175 LRAB, have found the jackets are all similiar in thickness and taper. I'm sure the lead hardness is similiar too as these bullets are designed for heavy game.

I am puzzled that the 175 Hornady RN would come apart. I would have guessed a larger expansion diameter and shorter penetration than the spire point. Things that make you scratch your head.

Seems father time is catching up to the venerable 175 Partition as the cup-n-core boys are catching up to it's legendary penetration ability.

The Sierra 175 BT continues to make me want to try it out this year.

Thanks for the info.

"I don't live in a liberal universe, my dad gave me a brain and began kicking life lessons into it until I stopped being stupid"
IC B2

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I am puzzled that the 175 Hornady RN would come apart. I would have guessed a larger expansion diameter and shorter penetration than the spire point.

That was my thinking as well. I was very surprised that there was nothing left of the bullet.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Shot a little WT on the point of the shoulder (7x57 30 yds.) a couple of years ago w/the RN and it lost its core in the right rear 1/4 but jacket and core were next to each other. Muddy

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by SU35
I like the Berger 168 Hybrid too and would use it on a broadside elk. Sure would not want to rake one with it.

I'll send you a few Scenars if you'll do the test with them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am puzzled that the 175 Hornady RN would come apart. I would have guessed a larger expansion diameter and shorter penetration than the spire point.

That was my thinking as well. I was very surprised that there was nothing left of the bullet.

I’m not surprised all that much as I have seen their RNs wear pretty thin even in flesh and in even larger calibers. On the other hand, consider that you don’t get penetration from nothing, and that bullet apparently tied for second-place penetration. What the bullet finally looks like matters not if it works reliably and consistently to get the penetration and damage needed. The Sierra is no surprise to me either as they use a decently hard core in their heavier game-type GameKings in many/most calibers. Sierra bullets work well under the older traditional rules of bullet selection (they “burn off” like a candle so you need heavier/longer bullets for longer penetration requirements). I believe they have suffered somewhat from internet ‘bullying’; they don’t quite make the cut with the ‘in crowd’.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Glad to see Sierra did so well. I've been tested them in game animals for years. They are a very accurate bullet as well. I've been thinking about getting a big Sierra sticker for my meat freezer.grin

IC B3

B
byd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Did you shoot these for accuracy also ?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I will always over look Sierra for the reason that a 165 grain 30 caliber Sierra Game King out of an 06 was stopped by a white tail's shoulder. She ran off on three legs. (I eventually dropped her. two more bullets. Nothing like shot up meat. I'll never use Sierras on game animals except for perhaps a 35 Remington. I don't like explosive bullets and that is my experience along with other I've hunted with.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
What the bullet finally looks like matters not if it works reliably and consistently to get the penetration and damage needed.

I agree, one thing I should have noted with the RN was the wider path of destruction it left.

Did you shoot these for accuracy also ?

Yes, I did, and the 7mm 175 as always, has shot sub-moa in my rifles.

I will always over look Sierra for the reason that a 165 grain 30 caliber Sierra Game King out of an 06 was stopped by a white tail's shoulder.

I don't doubt you, and I don't doubt the stories like this from 'premium' bullets either.
I have a few stories myself.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yikes--I guess I can take the 168 ABLR off the waiting list--it appears not to be holding out as much promise for longer shots on elks as I was hoping

thanks for that, SU

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 168 LRAB has nearly the same jacket as the 175 LRAB and I can't get the 168 to shoot out of my rifle. 2"+ groups is the best it will do and was a little slower than I expected it would be. That box of bullets sits on the shelf now.

"I don't live in a liberal universe, my dad gave me a brain and began kicking life lessons into it until I stopped being stupid"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
appreciate it

irked for the wait, to boot.

Defend the Constitution
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by tomk
Yikes--I guess I can take the 168 ABLR off the waiting list--it appears not to be holding out as much promise for longer shots on elks as I was hoping

thanks for that, SU

Why does a bullet that is designed to by used at LR not offering much promise for using at LR?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

thanks for that, SU

Why does a bullet that is designed to by used at LR not offering much promise for using at LR?

Damn what a conundrum. I have been waiting to try the 168gr LRAB's also. I have shot most of the game I've killed using the 7 Rem mag with 160 NPT's and Barnes 160 XLC's. I was hoping to up the B.C. a bit and the LRAB's shine in that arena, I've tried the 180 Scenars but haven't yet gotten them to shoot as accurately as I'd like.

I do know dry print is very hard on bullets and it's not how bullets behave in animals. It's difficult to find an accurate media to test bullets on. I'm not yet ruling out the LRAB's but it has me wondering.

The testing and reporting is much appreciated.

Golden............
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Actually, dry newsprint is pretty good at indicating what might happen when a bullet hits really heavy bone. Which is what a lot of us want to know, not what will happen when a bullet hits ribs.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
penetration on elk would be my concern--long(er) range being for me 500yds ish

Defend the Constitution
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
SU35,
I tried this type of test (dry news print) with 25cal bullets about 10 years ago. The thing that shocked me was the fact that Hornady SST bullets penetrated like crazy AND set the news print on fire. The SST bullets were destroyed but they always made it to the back of the 8" stack and within a minute or so the smoke would come billowing out of the back. Nosler PT's, Hornady IL's, Hornady RN's Speer, none of the others set the paper on fire....???

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Johnny Dollar

I know what you mean, those bullets are HOT!
And some more than others. Why? I don't know.

Also,

As already mentioned the key to using cup-core bullets is going heavy for caliber.

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
davidlea,

Here's a recovered 7mm/175 LRAB from a large cow elk I killed. 100 yards or so shot. I put the bullet through the thickest part of her shoulders, missing bone.
The opposite hide caught it. This will give you an idea.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SU - IIRC that bullet was out of your 7 Wby at 3100 fps correct??? What was the accuracy?

Though I prefer a bullet to exit, that one did the job.

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
SU - IIRC that bullet was out of your 7 Wby at 3100 fps correct??? What was the accuracy?

Yes, that's correct. Great accuracy too, I had it dialed in.

Though to my thinking the 7mm Wby is king of the 7's, I like lighter rifles and the Tikka appealed to me for that reason. Also, no reason why the 7mm Rem Mag can't be loaded to within 100 fps of the Wby.

Mounted in Talleys on my Tikka is a Leupold vx2 4-12x40 AO (fine hairs) with an M1 on top. I feel very confident using the Sierra 7mm/175 for long range. It's actually made for that.

Total weight of the scoped rifle is 7 lbs 2 oz.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
SU35,

Total weight of the scoped rifle is 7 lbs 2 oz.

That is a spectacular weight all up. What length is the barrel?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
24" barrel.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I am taking a chance and going to use the 175 LRAB in my7 mag. It has a 25" #3 lilija 3 groove and holds very good accuracy out to 600 yards. I just shot a 3" group at 600 with a pretty good L-R crosswind. 175 SBT shoot right with them out to 300 and actually hold pretty good in the wind. 175 Partitions have the same point of impact at 100 so I might slip a few of these in my pocket for those deep timber moments.

Using Hornandy brass which has surprised me with its durability and consistence. H1000 powder and Rem 9 1/2M primers for 2975. Hunting elk in 3 states so should find out something.

Lefty C

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I do know dry print is very hard on bullets and it's not how bullets behave in animals. It's difficult to find an accurate media to test bullets on. I'm not yet ruling out the LRAB's but it has me wondering.

Not really, it's called animals.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
dennisinaz

Normally one wants to do a good job with his hunting bullet on the first shot. About forty years ago I switched to Nosler 175 partitions because a Hornady 175 grainer fragmented on a blacktail deer shoulder blade. The deer turned and I shot it in the tail. Even that bullet fragmented. I was using a 7 Rem Mag. That was before I started testing on media. Now I use either sawdust or water filled one gallon milk jugs. This way no animals are wounded or require three shots to finish the job.

Everyday Hunter
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Ringman
dennisinaz

Normally one wants to do a good job with his hunting bullet on the first shot. About forty years ago I switched to Nosler 175 partitions because a Hornady 175 grainer fragmented on a blacktail deer shoulder blade. The deer turned and I shot it in the tail. Even that bullet fragmented. I was using a 7 Rem Mag. That was before I started testing on media. Now I use either sawdust or water filled one gallon milk jugs. This way no animals are wounded or require three shots to finish the job.

Well put Ringman.

Golden............
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I ran some 175 GK's out of the 7mm Mashburn along with 160 AB's, 160 BBC's, 175 PT's. All them have looked excellent when shot into water filled 1 gallon jugs at 20 yards. The Sierra shoots very well with the same load in my Mashburn.. I am using it as a practice bullet for the 175 PT, but I'd have 0 concerns running it as the primary.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know this is a 175gr thread, just wanted to chime in on GK's.I have only one memorable experience with the GK, mine a 180 grain, .308, 2950 at the muzzle. Shot a raghorn bull about @ 125 yards, tight and a little high behind the shoulder. He was down, head on the ground, before I could get the action cycled. Exit size was about the size of a 50 cent piece. I wouldnt hesitate to use them again. My brother has also used them in his 25-06 with good results.

Being a 7mm shooter myself, this testing is quite interesting...

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Very satisfied with the performance of the 175 gr Nosler Partition on a good 6x6 bull elk. Right through the chest at about 180 yards. Bull took a few steps and fell dead.

The 175 Sierras were a little more accurate, but I like Partitions for hunting. Either one would likely have worked. Was running them at about 2900 fps via H870 then.

Regards, Guy

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Guy, I'm a diehard NP fan myself having killed a few elk with both bullet brands out of a 280 RCBS. Both brands performed with one shot kills on 4 elk.

What started my re-look at the SBT GK, I couldn't find any NP's. So, I started reading the good reports of 7mm/175 GK's on big game, bought a box and decided to test them out dry paper.

It was an eye opener I didn't expect them to stay with the NP. They do, and with more consistent accuracy and speed for longer ranges.

Sierra says this about them, "7 mm/.284 Caliber (.284) 175 gr. SBT

For rifles, this 175 grain #1940 Spitzer Boat Tail bullet is an excellent choice for most large game hunting applications. It has a heavy, double-tapered jacket and a special alloy core to ensure deep penetration and good expansion on the heaviest North American game and on heavy African plains game. It has the same basic ballistic shape as Sierra's famous 168 grain 7mm MatchKing bullet. Accuracy of this hunting bullet approaches that of the MatchKing, making this the best long-range big game bullet for any of the 7mm magnum cartridges. It is also used successfully in centerfire rifle silhouette matches."

I have an area I elk hunt that is flat sagebrush country, nothing but long shots. I'm going the Sierra bullet with no hesitation.

At $36.00 for a hundred I get a lot of practice with them.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Does anyone happen to have a few 180 VLD HUNTING they could send him to test? Ive already sent him a few Scenars, and I have arranged for some hybrids to head his way. I would really love to see Bob do a 3 way show down as I am still undecided on bullet of choice for coues deer in my LRM.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Would have liked to see your comparison include the 175gr. Speer Grand Slams and Swift A-Frames.

Phil

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

500 yards and in is not long range. That is within the expansion window of regular Accubonds. The whole point of ABLR's is to reliably upset at low velocities when other bullets won't. The "bonding" is to help the bullet penetrate enough in case a close shot is taken.

A better way looking at it is-

Regular Accubond: optimized for mid to high velocity at close to moderate range , while having an expansion threshold low enough to cover the vast majority of shots. They are a 0-500 yard or so bullet.

Accubond Long Range- optimized for mid to low velocity at long range, while offering just enough penetration for an unplanned close range shot. They are optimized for past 400 yards.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
While I have not used the ABLR at all, I have used the Accubond from 30-500 yards and it has performed flawlessly and identically in all applications, including wet phone books at 15 and 30 yards with a MV of 3410.

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Shot some other brands of 7mm today.

Some interesting results.

Scenar 180 HPBT.....9.0" penetration. Same as the Nosler Partition. It flattened out to 1.6" and 75 grains.

Next was an older Nosler 175 Partition. It went 9" just like the new ones but interestingly enough, it weighed at 145.0 grains compared to the 110.0 grains of the newer ones.
Width was the same for both.

Tomorrow I'll be shooting the 7mm/175 BITTERROOT.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good to hear on the Scenar. Looking forward to more on game results from our hunting group.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
appreciate it, Form

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Excellent way of explaining it, so many people can't be objective when it come to bullet performance and realistically look at their strengths and weaknesses. For me the regular Accubond is just fine, I don't really shoot much out where the ABLR would make a difference.

500 yards and in is not long range. That is within the expansion window of regular Accubonds. The whole point of ABLR's is to reliably upset at low velocities when other bullets won't. The "bonding" is to help the bullet penetrate enough in case a close shot is taken.

A better way looking at it is-

Regular Accubond: optimized for mid to high velocity at close to moderate range , while having an expansion threshold low enough to cover the vast majority of shots. They are a 0-500 yard or so bullet.

Accubond Long Range- optimized for mid to low velocity at long range, while offering just enough penetration for an unplanned close range shot. They are optimized for past 400 yards.

Last edited by gerrygoat; 07/08/15.

Gerry.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Bob, If you want some 7mm Berger Hunting VLDs in 180 and/or 168, I'm your huckleberry. Besides I can't use the 350 Rems you gave me.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Scenar 180 HPBT.....9.0" penetration. Same as the Nosler Partition. It flattened out to 1.6" and 75 grains.

Well that just cant be..Its a target bullet!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by rosco1

Well that just cant be..Its a target bullet!

That was an annealed bullet, too.

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
A famous bear hunter from Montana sent me some BITTERROOT 175's to try out as well.

They penetrated a full 12" with a perfect mushroom at 184 grains.
imo, the best performance of all.

Jeff, I would love to try some 180 VLD's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd be interested to see how the 168gr LRX stacks up.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
SU35

A famous bear hunter from Montana sent me some BITTERROOT 175's to try out as well.

I need some of those bullets that gain weight after impact!

Everyday Hunter
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Oops my typo!

144.0 Thanks!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

That does sound great it gained 9 gr smile seriously that does sound like a really good bullet, too bad no one is making them anymore would have love to try them.

Gerry.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
A 175gn Woodleigh Weldcore is as close as you will find I guess.....

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

Probably, you could also add the Norma Oryx to also being close to them.

Gerry.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Kodiak Bullets by Alaska Bullet works perform very close to the Bitterroot. Tapered and bonded gilded metal jackets but seems to have a higher copper content than most. Very similar to the Woodleigh in performance too.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

From a batch I sent to Dober. Had them over 20+ years but never ran them into anything. The 160's did so well I never got around to them. Glad Bob finally ran them into something.

I have a stash. Based on this I may load them for a planned moose hunt this fall.

Not surprised at all with the results. Seen it too many times in other weights/calibers and on animals.If I wanted something similar today I would try the Northfork.

The Partition no surprise; the Sierra IS a surprise. Good test Bob thanks for posting all this up.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I'd be interested to see how the 168gr LRX stacks up.

I'm curious also although the 168gr LRX's won't stabilize in my rifle (older Rem classic).

[Linked Image]

Golden............
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
From a batch I sent to Dober. Had them over 20+ years but never ran them into anything. The 160's did so well I never got around to them. Glad Bob finally ran them into something.

I have a stash. Based on this I may load them for a planned moose hunt this fall.

I hope you do use them. Incredible bullet.

I have more test coming up, (Battle of the 7mm 120's) but have blown to bits all my dry media/print. Mainly by the 35 cals punching wide holes.

btw, I tested the Northfork 35/225 against the Sierra 35/225 GK.

They penetrated the same, 10", but the NF holding together at 145 grains with the Sierra losing its core. Not like it mattered at they both did the same amount of damage.

Next day I bought some Sierra's......

also
I will text pics of bullets to anyone who PM's me a #

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Any scenes in the wet media yet, Bob?

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Not yet, collecting more print to shoot.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Any pictures of the 175 BBC's?

Those things should bring the pain train to any animal here on our continent.

Semper Fi
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The dry paper is brutal. I did that a few times, then I taped it into large bundles and put them in trash bags and soaked them overnight. I took them out of the water a few hours prior to shooting and also used some dry print to stop anything that made it through the wet print. I also had ~2" of particle board at the front. The recovered bullets looked exactly like bullets recovered from game. One bullet, the SST, turned to powder in the dry tests, but did quite well once damp. The LRAB might react similarly.

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I am using hard cover books at least one inch thick and stacked tightly end to end.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any mono's in the mix?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
prm,

Heavy bone is also "brutal" to some big game bullets. I have seen a few reduced to tiny fragments that were very close to powder when they hit the big shoulder joint of game larger than deer.

For years many bullet companies used wet paper to test hunting bullets because the bullets turned into such nice, pretty mushrooms--just as almost any bullet will when placed behind the shoulder in the ribs. But dry paper provides a much more realistic look at what can happen to a bullet that hits heavy bone. And on BIG game that's what we're really interested in.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

1.6 inches? Typo?

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
1.6 inches? Typo?

No, I measure the complete width of the bullet, exactly how I pull it out of the print. It was sideways, and these bullets are hot!

Again, I am more than happy to text pics of the bullets to anyone who wants to PM me a number to text/pic to.

Any mono's in the mix?

If I can get some I will test them. Also,

I also need to hit more garage sales to get more books to shoot. I usually get 3 shots into a book then its done.

Bob

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have some old original Barnes X bullets that you can have if you want them. They are REAL long.

The Sierra results are interesting. They must have upped their game a bit. Any Sierra that I ever used shot very well and performed poorly.

Last edited by sbhooper; 07/18/15.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
pm sent.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tejano
Kodiak Bullets by Alaska Bullet works perform very close to the Bitterroot. Tapered and bonded gilded metal jackets but seems to have a higher copper content than most. Very similar to the Woodleigh in performance too.

And good luck getting them to group if you can get them to group around and inch, better call it a day. But from what I heard and read they are a very tough bullet that hold together very well.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When most think of the Sierra bullet thin jackets, lung shots, and try not to hit bone usually comes to mind.

The 175 7MM Sierra Gameking however is a bit of a unique beast with a Double Tapered jacket and special alloy core designed to ensure deep penetration and to perform at 7 MM magnum velocities.

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 07/21/15.

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll gladly mail some Barnes bullets (120 and 140 TSX/TTSX) and 150 ABLR for you to test if you'd like.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
All the bullets were loaded with 70.0 grains of Retumbo for an average mv of 2,950 to 2,970.

Drop that MV down to 2,400-2,500. Would you get better penetration?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I killed a lot of game with the Sierra 160 gr spitzer boat tail before I knew that they wouldn't work shocked

lefty C

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S

Drop that MV down to 2,400-2,500. Would you get better penetration?

That is a good question, I'll let you know. It did cause a pretty massive hole.

I'm going to do a 120 grain test next.

I have,

Barnes 120 TTSX
Sierra 120 Pro Hunter
Nosler 120 Solid Base
Nosler 120 Ballistic Tip

If anyone wants another particular brand or style in this weight you can send me a couple. PM me.......

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
prm,

Heavy bone is also "brutal" to some big game bullets. I have seen a few reduced to tiny fragments that were very close to powder when they hit the big shoulder joint of game larger than deer.

For years many bullet companies used wet paper to test hunting bullets because the bullets turned into such nice, pretty mushrooms--just as almost any bullet will when placed behind the shoulder in the ribs. But dry paper provides a much more realistic look at what can happen to a bullet that hits heavy bone. And on BIG game that's what we're really interested in.

Just saw this. I agree, I think the particle board and then wet print (though not too wet) replicates a rib, heart/lung shot. I would like to find something easy to test with that replicates about 2-3" of bone prior to the wet print.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good stuff here on the 7mm heavies, particularly on the 7mm 175 GK.... It's been around for a while and you just don't hear much about it, just gets overlooked I believe.

My 'clay bank' test yielded different results @2900 with the sierra GK. Not blowing there cores so much, just expanding all the way down into the taper of the boat tail to a flat lead coated jacket.

The 7mm 175 NP opened up, folded back and dug in 6-7 inches.

The 7mm 175 GK made it at most 2 inches but with a noticeable larger creator upon impact... Even found one of the GK's just laying in the creator it made.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
dennisinaz

I had a 175 gr Hornady Spire point tumble and break up on a 150 pound Whitetail from a 7x57. From my 7MM RM I had another come apart on a behind the shoulder hit on a 7x7 Bull Elk. I had to shoot the Elk again to keep it from getting into a deep ravine, this bullet was not found but it did not exit. This shot was at 90 yards and was going as fast as R22 could push it from a 24 inch barrel. This was one Hornady bullet I won't be buying any more of.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Here’s a 175 Bitterroot from my Mashburn.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here is a recovered BBC from an elk.

[Linked Image]

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Id be interested in hearing what Mule_Deer has to say about sierras, but it's my understanding that using heavy for caliber sierras work just fine. I have very little experience with them on game so take it for what it's worth

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have shot elk with the 175 Partition and 175 Hornady and both did their jobs. I settled on the 160 Partition at 3000 fps and never looked back. I don't think they give up anything to the 175s from any maker-except the all-coppers. It is interesting to see these tests and it does give a pretty fair idea of what a bullet will do, but there are still lots of variables in the field. If you read long enough you can find a "failure" from any type of bullet.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Am I the only one who has some trouble drawing conclusions from a "test' that was conducted with one bullet of each type? The original post certainly did make me curious, and was worth considering, but seems a long way off from providing enough information to make a good decision on. Or am I too fussy?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SU35

I need some of those bullets that gain weight after impact!

I was thinking the same thing. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I’d like to see mono in the mix. Ttsx or LRX

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dre
I’d like to see mono in the mix. Ttsx or LRX

I’ve got some 168 LRXs I can load up in my Mashburn and see how they do in jugs. I don’t have dry paper or anything like that. Been meaning to try them out anyhow.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
id like to see how the 150 swift stacks up. I have some if you want some.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They don’t have a great BC, but I’d like to see how the 175 Trophy Bonded Bear Claw would do, I dumped a moose with one of those out of a 7mm years ago, didn’t recover it though.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 79inpa
id like to see how the 150 swift stacks up. I have some if you want some.

3250 from the 7 Mashburn into jugs at 25 yards

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bull elk started at 2975 from a 7 Rem Mag and shot at 475 yard.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
That’s about picture perfect.

Swift makes good bullets.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
That’s about picture perfect.

Swift makes good bullets.

DF

I like them DF.. they tend to wanna long Jump but they are pretty danged wicked BG bullets when they shoot.

Semper Fi
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

These and the A-Frame offer the best performance I've ever seen on elk in a 7mm. The Weldcore has the advantage that you don't have to load down to control pressure the way you do with the A-Frame.

I'd say the Weldcore is the single best elk bullet on the market in 6.5mm (160gr), .270(150gr), 7mm(175gr), and 8mm(220gr). The .308s could stand to have a little higher BC.

M
MLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I was looking at the Natchez cataloge that I received yesterday. I noticed Barnes makes a 7mm 175grain TSX bullet. Has any one tried them. I would love to see their results.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not the TSX but I used the 175 X original here and in Africa. They flat out worked, those loads ran around 2,800 - 2,850 fps which seems optimal for performance. They would open up just fine on game as light as Springbok and worked well on Elk and Kudu sized game. They did plenty of internal damage and were champions at straight line penetration. I shot 50-75 of them into game and did not recover even a loose petal. I was also shooting 120 & 160 Xs and I did find shed petals with those. The 120s may have done more damage due to higher velocity and possibly some tumbling, but can't verify they tumbled due to only recovering a couple of the 120s.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I will offer this to the conversation. Right after the Nosler ballistic tips came out, I worked up an extremely accurate load at 3250 fps for the 140g in my 7 mag. I killed the first bull with the 140g BT around 150 yards, quartering to me on a dead run. With the muzzle break, I saw the bullet impact the animal. His two front feet quit working immediately, and he slid to a halt in the 6" of powder snow. He had one rear right leg kick two or three times, that was all. The shot placement was about 12" behind the front leg.

Second bull, standing shot, 200 yards. I hit him 10" behind the rear leg. He flopped, never even moved a rear leg kicking.

When I butchered up the bulls, the bullet had caused massive internal damage as you can imagine. Lungs and liver were simply blended.

I still want a bullet that causes massive internal damage, I choose my shot or I don't pull the trigger. A rear lung shot on an elk is one of the most deadly shots you can make, pick a caliber and bullet.

When I was younger, our group killed 7 on one trip with 7x57 mausers shooting 140g Sierra flat base....we did not know any better. We lost none, no long tracking jobs. All in the group were shooters. Today, About half in this same group shoots 180g Sierra btsp in 300 WM today with 71g of IMR 4350, The other half shoots 7 mags with 154g Hornady flat base, 160g Sierra BTSP, or 160g Partitions, and I bet they have killed no less than 250 elk between them.

Elk are not hard to kill given moderate range with good shot placement. My cow elk rifle is a 243 with 100g partitions, and our shots are not over 150 yards.

I had good mules that Lion hunters and Guides were waiting in line to buy. I got "invited" on a lot of hunts to help pack out animals. One guide and his family that I thought a lot of used a 7 mag with Speer Mag tips, they killed bear, elk, deer all with the same bullet. They are a family of shooters, and I let them borrow a mule or two as they needed as long as I was along on the trip.

I have seen a few elk run off from bad hits, shot low or in the stomach, mostly. We tracked a big bull that had been shot 5 times with a 7400 using 180g partitions, all bad hits. Bad hits seem to be a part of hunting, guys sight in their rifle and figure they are good to go. It is a good idea to shoot from standing, kneeling, and prone position if you figure on any distance at all. A guy needs to learn his limitations.

I lean towards a heavy for caliber cup and core bullet or a partition vs any kind of mono as I want MASSIVE internal damage on a well placed shot. I have seen that the Nosler LRAB do Massive internal damage, 175g in 7mm, and the 129g in 6.5(deer).

I don't think that it is prudent to shoot elk on the shoulder, and I plan my bullet choice and shot placement accordingly.

Last edited by keith; 05/10/19.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Used 160gr Trophy Bonded Tipped at about 3050 FPS with H1000 in 7mm Mag. Shot clear thru moose at 240 yards
It was double lunged ran about 75 yards . Will use again.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
OMG, standard C& C bullets almost match partitions etc!!!!!!! Premium bullet fans mus the wringing their hands. Of course there are a lot of us that already know heavy for caliber bullets perform very well on big game

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
[quote=tomk]Yikes--I guess I can take the 168 ABLR off the waiting list--it appears not to be holding out as much promise for longer shots on elks as I was hoping

thanks for that, SU

"Nosler 175 LRAB........... 4.0" completely shattered bullet."

That only confirms what my guide on an elk hunt said about three or four years ago. He said shots with the ABLR from most magnum cartridges literally blew up on close Range shots, was rather mediocre about to about 200 yards and seemed to be OK by 300 yards.

Most of my elk hunting has been with the 225 gr. Barnes triple X bullet from a .35 Whelen, one with the 200 gr. Speer Hot Core from a .300 Win. Mag. and one with a 165 gr. Accubond from a 30-06. None of these bullets were ever recovered.

I've thought the 150 gr. ABLR might be a good choice for something like a 7x57 Mauser or .280 Remington but so far accuracy has flat out sucked. I've been using Re17 in the 7x57 with excellent results and the 150 gr. Partition so just may use that for my elk hunt in early December. I'll probably play a bit more with the ABLR and all ready have a series of loads with the 160 gr. Speer Hot Core loaded up to test. Just waiting for some cooperative weather. Just too damn windy the last few days. The week end looks good weather wise but I stay away from the range due to all the Rambo wannabes that show up at week's end.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
4.0" was on dry newspaper, simulating bone.

Now, from what we have seen on deer and hogs, we have seen zero blow ups, just good penetration and DRT results. Large Hogs are good bullet testing medium. Also, in a 7 Mag, the 154g interlock will shoot holes through both shoulders on a 350 lb Boar hog, on a broadside shot. We killed a lot of elk with that same load, last one was at 550 yards, one shot, DRT.

LRAB are great for killing animals dead Real Quick! We shoot the 175's in 7 Mags and 280 AI's, 129's in 6.5x47 lapua.

Two friends went to Africa for 6 plains game each, both carried Weatherby Mark 5's with hand loads of 162 SST's. All game dropped in their tracks out to 350 yards including Eland and Kudu. PH was so impressed, he wrote an article about their shooting and bullet performance, 7 STW, 162 SST at 3150 fps.

These animals are not hard to kill, just make a good shot.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore
OMG, standard C& C bullets almost match partitions etc!!!!!!! Premium bullet fans mus the wringing their hands. Of course there are a lot of us that already know heavy for caliber bullets perform very well on big game

I've pulled .264 SST"s that lost their core and penetrated as far as a 140 partition and 140 AB.. I personally wouldn't use a SST. It was paper. I like the bounty way to much. But.......

Your Every Liberal vote promotes Socialism and is an
attack on the Second Amendment. You will suffer the consequences.

GOA,Idaho2AIAlliance,AmericanFirearmsAssociation,IdahoTrappersAssociation,FoundationForWildlifeManagement ID and MT.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
would love to see the same test on Remington CorLoks ? i don`t use this bullet , i have seen what happens to them when i have skinned wild game animals and it wasn`t pretty. hint

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dumped my elk last year using 175 grain Federal Fusions.....this ammo is a LAZER out of my 7 Mag!!!!

I know I know....its deer ammo...…………………...

Last edited by 300MAG; 06/04/19.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Good stuff appreciate the testing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of the better threads in recent years. Nice to see it come up to the top again.

Gerry.
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S

Last edited by SU35; 06/06/19.
K
KLM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Great information. Thank you.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1234, 10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 67 invisible), 2,156 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,099
Posts18,464,161
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.