Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Read something interesting lately about flat base bullets being more accurate at short (~400 yds) ranges than boat tail bullets. It had to do with the bullet exiting the muzzle and the flat base having a better chance of pressure being equal around the bullet where the boat tail is still in the barrel when the gas escapes around the boat tail giving the chance to upset the bullet. Any experience with this?

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I think the standard answer is that boat tail bullets take longer to stabilize (>200yds), but have better ballistic coefficient. Flat base stabilize quickly (<100yds), but not as good ballistic coefficient.

answer: Flat base are generally more accurate at sub 300yd. Boatails are generally more accurate at greater than 400yd

...YMMV

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Mule deer has done his usual thorough study, as have I on a less spectacular scale. He will hopefully comment but my experience is that "It all depends." The .30 cal Sierra FB 150 gr bullet is as as good (accurate and deadly)as any I have ever fired out to 400 yards but the Sierra HPBT will reach a little further and opens up better at longer range.

Terry

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by centershot
Read something interesting lately about flat base bullets being more accurate at short (~400 yds) ranges than boat tail bullets. It had to do with the bullet exiting the muzzle and the flat base having a better chance of pressure being equal around the bullet where the boat tail is still in the barrel when the gas escapes around the boat tail giving the chance to upset the bullet. Any experience with this?

The one that is more accurate.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Some rifles simply do not like BT's. Those that do, shoot them more accurately than flat bases so Steelie is correct.

I have found several Weatherby chamberings shoot more accurately with flat based bullets remembering that all Weatherby's do not have freebore.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Generally flat base bullets shoot a little better though its not a solid rule. I had an /06 that shot the sierra 180 gr flat base into about 6" at 100 yds while it shot the Nosler 180 gr ballistic tip under and inch.

The same Sierra 180 that I tried in my /06 would shoot 1/2" groups out of a 300 win mag.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Steelhead

The one that is more accurate.

This.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
centershot,

Yes, "short range" benchrest shooters have found flat-base bullets are more accurate, the reason they're almost universally used in typical benchrest matches. But the difference isn't enough to show up in most hunting rifles, which have far looser internal chamber and barrel dimensions than benchrest rifles. (This is also probably why some hunting rifles won't shooting boattailed bullets very well.)

However, at longer ranges accuracy depends as much on a bullet's wind resistance as a rifle's ability to shoot tiny groups at 100 or 200 yards. This is why long-range shooters universally use boattails: Everything else being equal, they resist wind-drift more than flat-base bullets.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In the last few years boattails have started to show a presence in the winners circle in Short Range Benchrest. Which is most accurate, either can be, its a combination of a lot of factors, bullet shape being only one that determines which is most accurate in a particular firearm.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I usually find boat tails more accurate.

I guessed its because my sloppy handloading isn't shown up as much with boat tails because they allow me to seat bullets straighter.

But I really dunno.

IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My most accurate bullet is a flat base, but there are boat tails very close to it, and some flat based bullets are worse than many boat tails. I wouldn't make a bullet decision based on that feature, just not enough of a discriminator in my experience.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
prm,

Of course, some flat-based bullets are inaccurate, whether because they're poorly balanced or whatever. But that wasn't the question.

The theory behind flat-based bullets being somewhat more accurate is the square base of the bullet leaves a correctly-made crown more "cleanly" than a tapered boattail. This is why some bullets have very short, steep boattails, or "rebated" boattails, with a sharp, steep angle between the shank of the bullet and the boattail itself. Neither a short, steep boattail or a rebated boattail increases ballistic coefficient as much as a very long, gently angled boattail, but they still increase BC somewhat over a flat-based bullet of the same weight, diameter and ogive shape.

Whether any bullets shoots better in one particular rifle also depends on throat and crown conformation, and probably actual bore diameter as well. Boattail bullets don't seal the bore as well as flat-based bullets (there are also some other factors that go into this, such as jacket thickness and core hardness), and that's also a factor in whether a particular rifle "likes" a certain bullet.

Certainly base-shape also affects how straight bullets are seated in the case neck. Probably the overall trend favors boattails, but I have seen it work both ways in certain cartridges, probably due to other factors, such as the seating stem of the die, whether or not the seating die has a short cylindrical section to keep bullets straight, and even how the case mouth was chamfered.

But in general, yes, flat bases allow bullets to leave the muzzle more consistently than boattails. Whether or not this results in overall finer accuracy at different ranges in any particular rifle is dependent on a host of other factors, and whether or not any individual rifle shoots boattails more accurately than flat-bases doesn't prove much one way or the other about the intrinsic accuracy of a certain design.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I agree with you. I am only relaying that the theory, in my very limited experience, does not bring results that are worth differentiating a bullet choice for my application of hunting and a hunting rifle. But those flat base .338 160 TTSXs sure do fly well!!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I agree with you too!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was told once by a very respected custom benchrest bullet maker that boat tails are more difficult to get consistently concentric edges of the boat tail shoulder than flat base bullets with their 90 degree base and a pressure ring.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Gee, it would seem that the one that is more accurate is the bullet type that is more accurate.

Weird..

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Yes, "short range" benchrest shooters have found flat-base bullets are more accurate, the reason they're almost universally used in typical benchrest matches.

This may have been true at one time but not any more. The king of the benchrest shooters Tony Boyer has been shooting Hottenstein bullets for quite some time, Lowell Hottenstein only makes boat tails.

At the last benchrest match I attended in May about 30% of the shooters were using boat tails, In my experience some barrels like flat base some barrels like boat tails.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Interesting. I couldn't find any photos of the Hottenstein bullets. How much of a boattail do they have?

John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks, that explains a lot.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
[Linked Image]

That's not much of a "boat tail". I personally have seen better accuracy from flat based bullets, unless I'm shooting past 400 yards. After that, the boat tail bullets buck the wind better. This attributes to better accuracy at longer range..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My best short range BR rifles preferred boattails although the boat tail was relatively short. I liked that one could make boattails without the pressure ring at the base which was always present on the flat-based bullets. Not many custom makers make boat tails suitable for short range BR and I suspect that is as large a factor in the prevalence of the FB bullets in the BR venues as anything else. GD

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Could be.

It could also be that the few who do make the boattails so short there's really not much difference between them and a flat-base.

John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Not much difference but enough to make a difference in loading and sizing. I don't really think boat tails are necessarily more accurate; they just shot better in my rifles. I am unable to pronounce one design better than the other because I don't really KNOW. Others have no trouble in making such a pronouncement. Could be that they do know. GD

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am just parroting the competitive shooters on the usenet before the www 20 years ago:
flat base out to 200 y
boat tail beyond 200 y

I kill most big game between 400 and 500 yards, so I use boat tail bullets.

Part of the reason is I can't hit anything beyond 500 y and I can do very well on the targets at 400 yards, so I stalk until it is a sure thing.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
I did some asking around elsewhere about barrel attributes, specifically crown and leade angles.

After having a target crown get dinged and looking into getting it recrowned, a gunsmith friend recommended a piloted reamer that imparts a 45 degree chamfer into the muzzle. The depth is such that the chamfer extends slightly wider than the grooves. I had it done, and the rifle shoots respectably, as well as having shot both flat and boat tail base bullets about equally well. I don't really understand this stuff well enough to understand what this alteration has accomplished, but I'm fairly certain the crown is less likely to get dinged.

When I asked what the relationship was between ogive and leade angle, I got a surprising answer from a barrel maker/gunsmith. His response was that the leade angle slowly changes over time to conform more effectively with the bullet's ogive, wearing it in as it were, and suggested that this was a particularly good reason to pick a bullet and stick with it as long as possible.

Greg

Good marksmanship is no accident
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hmm, I suppose this is why we handload and try different loads in our rifle's to see what works. Just a guess.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,764 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,885
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.