Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
postoak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I have an XCR II with synthetic stock. I can't slip a piece of paper under the barrel so I suppose that their is up pressure on the barrel. Would I be likely to see an improvement in accuracy if I had the stock and all of the barrel bedded?

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
That's a definite maybe.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or maybe not

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
How does it shoot now?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Or maybe not

^^^^

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd float the barrel, and bed the recoil lug area.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And if that didn't work as a last resort, full length bed the entire barreled action.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You guys are so good...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
P
postoak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
It shoots "okay" now. Three shot groups of 1 1/2". Sometimes, with handloads, 1".

I guess the question should have been, is the design of the 700 action such that bedding it would be likely to improve accuracy?

Second question would be with a setup like this where the barrel isn't free-floated, what to do in that area?

1) Free float

2) Nothing, leave the pressure point and air gap

3) Leave pressure point and fill in the air gap along the barrel with bedding compound.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Simple to put a shim in it to test float the barrel. If it likes it proceed from there.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Personally, I've never seen a sporter weight or mag sporter weight 700 barrel not shoot it's best when they were free floated. At a minimum, they will shoot more consistently.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Personally, I've never seen a sporter weight or mag sporter weight 700 barrel not shoot it's best when they were free floated. At a minimum, they will shoot more consistently.

^^^^^^

This, exactly.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe

^^^^^^

This, exactly.

That's the reason I like mine floated, they may be less than perfect but they have repeatability.

P
postoak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Interesting input. It leads to the question why Remington doesn't free-float them since that seems like that would be easier to do.

I think I'll have this one free-floated and full action bedded.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They don't free float them because their QC isn't good enough to catch that stuff before it gets out the door. Or, more accurately, it just isn't cost effective for them to do so.

They'd probably love it if all their barrels went out the door free floated, but the tolerances just aren't that close on the stocks, and they're in the business of cranking them out. Do yourself a favor, float the barrel and bed the action and receiver tang.

Chris
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by richardca99
They don't free float them because their QC isn't good enough to catch that stuff before it gets out the door. Or, more accurately, it just isn't cost effective for them to do so.

They'd probably love it if all their barrels went out the door free floated, but the tolerances just aren't that close on the stocks, and they're in the business of cranking them out. Do yourself a favor, float the barrel and bed the action and receiver tang.

That is not the case...at all.

Remington puts 2 pressure points at the end of the stock if it is wood, and a band on the fore end if it is synthetic. They do not free-float on purpose...it is intentional.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ingwe

^^^^^^

This, exactly.

^^^^^

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by postoak
Interesting input. It leads to the question why Remington doesn't free-float them since that seems like that would be easier to do.

I think I'll have this one free-floated and full action bedded.

Bingo. Furthermore, the reason they don't freefloat them is because it is easier to just put speed bumps in them and send them down the assembly line. Bottom line is the almighty dollar and time is money... wink

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by john843
How does it shoot now?

Good question, I have a 700 XCR II, in .270 and it shoots
perfectly well in stock form.

I would not mess with it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They use the pressure point method because it's easier and cheaper than bedding the action properly at the factory. I doubt a lot of their cheap plastic stocks would take a good pillar bedding job anyway. Take a look at any gunsmith's site who offers a "accuracy package" for 700 rifles. All of them properly bed the action and free float the barrel (on sporter weight and heavier barrels).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

166 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 260madman, 338reddog, 32 invisible), 1,235 guests, and 1,017 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,464
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.