Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
elkrazy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
What is the current best thinking on rain gear for an Backpack Alaskan Dall Sheep hunt?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mountain Archery has a 50% off sale on Sitka Gear clothing if your size is available. Down Pour series.

The Event material gets good reviews, but when it comes to rain gear and backpacking, there's really nothing romantic about it, either way, you'll likely be just as wet on the inside as the outside.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Two recommendations I've heard from guides are Westcomb and Marmot Precip.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
HAHA funny! I have settled on Westcomb for my jacket and Marmot Precip for my pants. Not a guide just what I found the best bang for your buck given I trash even expensive rain pants after a couple years and I want full zip so $60 Marmot precips sure fit the bill nicely.

For the jacket the Cruiser LT works for me. Not the lightest but reinforced in the right places to make it more robust but still not overly heavy either. I have tried a pile of other expensive rain gear including several that have a $500 price tag on them and I just like how eVent in the Westcomb works for me, but YMMV.

E
elkrazy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Thanks guys - I was looking at the Sitka stuff (Storm Front) and KUIU but also thinking about the Marmot Precip as well. Wondered if the extra $$ would be worth it. I will also look at the Westcomb.

Kenneth - I had to laugh at your summary statement and suspect that will be my experience as well - wet no matter what smile

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WestCombe is really good stuff. I'd go with what alaska_lanche has recommended. He's been there and done it in AK!

Tanner

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I had a hell of a time keeping the precip pants from falling off, especially after the first week of hunting. Other than that, they work pretty well.

I haven't taken the plunge and tried sitka or kuiu raingear, and probably won't based on how quickly everything else gets shredded.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by cwh2
I had a hell of a time keeping the precip pants from falling off, especially after the first week of hunting. Other than that, they work pretty well.

Eat more cheeseburgers, Chris! You need something to hang the pants on.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't need rain gear. It never rains on Ak hunts. smile

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I think I ended up making some paracord suspenders for the precips during a weather delay. I've since aquasealed my patagucci bibs and have switched back to those, so haven't really put my 'spenders to the test.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I used Kuiu Chugach rain gear on my last Dall hunt, but would definitely pick a Westcomb jacket for the future. Westcomb really rocks.

I think Alaska lanche's advice would be as good as it gets.

E
elkrazy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Well, I am sold on the Westcomb Cruiser LT - Now I am having a hard time finding one online to buy.

If anyone knows where to get one, let me know. I am thinking I need the XL to fit over me and my layers if needed.

Last edited by elkrazy; 06/30/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe not the color you want, but I always buy my Westcomb stuff for my wife and I from here:

http://climbhigh.com/index.php/westcomb-cruiser-lt-jacket.html

The Spectre jacket is great too and lighter I just wanted a bit more stouter jacket. But for just one dall sheep hunt the Spectre will be a great option and hold up well over the years and breath just as well and is cheaper as well. I have both jackets and can't go wrong with either:

http://climbhigh.com/index.php/westcomb-cruiser-lt-jacket.html

And CWH2 I used to have that problem but now I consistently have a 32" waist these days so its a bit easier to keep them up. 2 years ago I had to sandwich the pants between the pack waistbelt pretty good to keep them up wink

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
HAHA funny! I have settled on Westcomb for my jacket and Marmot Precip for my pants.

Great minds think alike! I like that combination too, the side zips on the Precip are nice.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by elkrazy
Thanks guys - I was looking at the Sitka stuff (Storm Front) and KUIU but also thinking about the Marmot Precip as well.

I bought the Sitka Stormfront last year from Midway when they were 50% off. They lasted a couple days on the Oregon coast, and then started to leak. Nothing "rough" just cruising the fern and pine patches for blacktail. The jacket pockets literally filled with water, but are not advertised as waterproof.

Midway wouldn't refund, but Sitka/Gore honored their 100% moneyback guarantee.

Hunting the Oregon coast isn't the same as a sheep hunt, but figured you might like that info before spending $1200.

Jason

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good info. guys thanks

PASS IT ON!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by elkrazy
Thanks guys - I was looking at the Sitka stuff (Storm Front) and KUIU but also thinking about the Marmot Precip as well.

I bought the Sitka Stormfront last year from Midway when they were 50% off. They lasted a couple days on the Oregon coast, and then started to leak. Nothing "rough" just cruising the fern and pine patches for blacktail. The jacket pockets literally filled with water, but are not advertised as waterproof.

Midway wouldn't refund, but Sitka/Gore honored their 100% moneyback guarantee.

Hunting the Oregon coast isn't the same as a sheep hunt, but figured you might like that info before spending $1200.

Jason

[Linked Image]

Gawd Dayum Jason, it's almost like somebody on here told you that would happen....grin

Tanner

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have used most of the highend wpb shells available since 1978, all over BC and western-northern AB. Early Winters, original Marmot Mtn. Works, MEC, Jack Wolfskin, original Integral Designs, and for three years, Westcomb Neoshell Apoc.

My favourite by far in wet coastal BC is the Westcomb Neoshell and I intend to soon buy a Limestone coloured Shift Neoshell for mountain hunts.

I use REI Kimtah eVent pants which I am very happy with and are charcoal coloured.

After, careful examination, I decided against Sitka Gear and wont buy KUIU, after Hairstons shenanigans over Vancouver or Chinese manufacture.

I also highly recommend "WildThings Gear" made in the eastern USA.....top quality and made in North America.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tanner
Gawd Dayum Jason, it's almost like somebody on here told you that would happen....grin

Tanner

Someone at Rokslide tricked me into trying another WPB shell with their "prostaff review" grin

I had given up on membranes awhile ago, but word was that the Stormfront was the most waterproof gear with membrane available, but not the most breathable. I got to say the fit, finish, and design of the Stormfront were great... they just leaked!

I'm back to HH, Grundens, and the like for the coast. The brush just dumps buckets on the membranes even when its not raining and I think the contact with the vegetation just overwhelms the DWR and membrane.

Last edited by 4th_point; 07/04/15.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If that's as wet as you got, I'd call that pretty good performance from "breathable" raingear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 60 invisible), 2,923 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,794
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.