Print Thread
Hop To
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I nee some help adjusting a double set trigger on an old Mauser 98 8mm JS from someone who KNOWS how to do this.

The unset weight is about 7 pounds and the set weight is about 5 ounces .

I would like to either decrease the unset weight down to around 4 pounds or so OR increase the weight of the set pull to about 1.5 to 2 pounds. Either way will work as I can forget using the set feature or use the set feature exclusively.

I have some experience with trigger work just not a double set trigger.

Thanks
Craig

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have owned a couple Mauser DST's, and they all have a small adjusting screw visible between the triggers to adjust the set pull weight. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing them without it. In my experience that screw works very well. Not a very good pic for which I apologize, but if you look closely you can see the screw sticking down between the two triggers.

[Linked Image]

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Yes Mine has the screw between the triggers.
But adjusting the screw to the max in either direction the trigger pull goes from just touch it and it releases to about 5 ounces on the high end.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Hmmm. Is it perfectly clean- no crud causing the levers to hang up? Beyond that, or a longer/shorter screw, I don't know. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in. I never had one that required my poking around in it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got another former 8x57JS sporter that over a lot of years has become a BR, in fact the only original parts are the bolt handle and the bottom metal.
The weights you describe are what I could call "normal" -- both setting and unset fire take a pretty good yank, while the "set" can be from "sneeze" to, on mine, about a pound.
I shoot it with the set on "sneeze." I've never weighed it, but it's LIGHT.
One thing I would do is pull the bottom metal and watch how things work as you crank the set screw in and out, cocking and firing the set. You MAY be able to do some careful stoning on the set sear to raise your pull weight on the set.
I never felt the need on mine. What I did do was narrow the lower set leaf spring to lighten it a little. And you MIGHT be able to mess with that spring by putting a shim under the spring tail to make it push harder on the set trigger.
On the other hand, 5 ounces seems like a pretty normal pull on a set trigger, mine is like two. Perhaps you should consider going ahead and getting a nice Timney and new bottom metal, set yourself up with a conventional single stage if you don't like the double set. Take that and sell it.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B2

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks Guys,
I like the double set trigger and want to keep the rifle the way it was customized Just would like it better if the pull weights were a little higher as I use it on occasion for deer hunting.

I will do as you suggested and see if I can figure it out

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

454 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 41 invisible), 2,072 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,762
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.