Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
It is that time of year again when we either go blow stuff up or sit in a crowd and watch as they blow stuff up all in celebration of our independence from the English. Either way you do it, it is fun to photograph them. It is also one of the simplest things to shot. All you need is your camera, a lens (preferably a zoom), a tripod and a cable release. Oh and a dark sky and fireworks.

The camera settings are easy. I use Manual Mode or Bulb, depending on which camera brand you are shooting and something around f8. I simply frame the scene before it gets too dark. This is why I love a zoom lens like the Tamron 16-300mm Di-II VC PZD Macro lens or the Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD lens. The ability to zoom to eliminate distractions is perfect. Focus set to somewhere near infinity, check after the first fireworks goes off to adjust if needed, then when the show starts use the remote to fire the camera off. Hold the shutter open for either one burst or several depending on the result you want, then release the shutter button. Check your LCD for the proper framing and desired blur. Repeat as often as you would like to do.

It is great to find an area ahead of time that you can put something in the foreground and hopefully a little light hits it to add to your image. This past year I was with family and we had set up in a cemetery. Not the best foreground but there was a flag that I did my best to get into the frame a few times. Either way, get out there and have fun.

If you don’t have the proper gear, you can still give Mark at Camera Land a call and hopefully get it before the 4th of July arrives. Camera Land has been posting some great deals on camera kits as well recently. If you have been debating on upgrading your camera, now could be the time to take advantage of some of the new sensor technology and low noise capabilities. Give Mark a call and make sure you let him know you are a member of the Campfire for the best pricing.

All of the following images were shot with the Tamron 16-300mm Di-II VC PZD lens on a Canon 7D.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
WOW very nice.. thanks for sharing..

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks!

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great compositions and thanks for the hints

1Minute
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks and my pleasure. I hope everyone will post some shots from their displays!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gave it a shot at our community display. Cookie and I ended up too close. Should have taken a couple wide angle lenses or backed out about 500 yds. I was equipped with a 55-250mm and most exposures spilled out of the frame.

Bulb setting at F16, ISO 100 and exposures along the lines of 1 to 2 seconds.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here's one from last year at the Thunder over Louisville event. About 1/8 second exposure. I agree that some sort of ground or foreground structure makes for a better image.
[Linked Image]

Despite all warnings and Fire Marshall closures, some locals went to the hills above town onto BLM ground for their own remote celebration. Sagebrush and cured grass makes for an interesting fireworks venue. Left to right the image spans about 1 and 1/4 miles and we were about 4 miles away. Burned a little over a 1000 acres. From first glow on the hill to this scale took about 20 minutes. We live on the edge of the bush, but fortunately the wind was headed south (left). A more typical westerly blow would have put us at risk. Came within about 200 yds of 3 rural residences.

[Linked Image]
I hear the culprits were still on site when the first engines arrived. I hope they have really good insurance.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/07/15.

1Minute
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Great images! That is my fear of living as far out as I do. If our woods catch fire, we could be in serious trouble. That is why I leave it to the pros down in town. Thanks for sharing!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
CameraLandTamronPhotAdv:
Thanks. We did have a fair breeze blowing to the left during our display. Hence the feathering that one may or may not find attractive. I see a little of that in your images as well. Regardless, it was a fun and inexpensive evening.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/08/15.

1Minute
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I think we always have a breeze! Nothing wrong with that in the images, I like it. Fun and inexpensive evenings are the best!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the wind feathering in those fireworks shots. I was hoping for some natural fireworks this past weekend, but the lightning did not arrive over the canyon.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
That is one of my hopes, to be in the canyon when a good storm is on the horizon.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool pics!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

703 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 3,141 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,119
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.