Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've had 2 77/22 mags, both were in the 1.5 to 2" range at 100 yards with several kinds of ammo. Traded the first one for the second hoping it would be better. Turned the second one into a 17HMR with a heavy fluted Green Mtn barrel. It was super accurate.

Years ago me and two buddies kept passing a Marlin 783 back and forth, I don't think any of us shot it for group size but I do remember head shooting a few squirrels with it at around 50 yards with no problems.

My current 783 hangs right around 1"or a little better for 5 shots at 100 with Winch 40 grn h.p.. That is it's favorite of what I've tried in it, but with 22 mag ammo hard to come by in this area since I bought it, I haven't tried much of a variety.

My brother brought me his Marlin to mount a scope and sight in a few years ago. I don't remember what it liked best but it would do around 3/4" at 100. I also don't remember if his is the 783,883, or 983. It is the rifle that convinced me to go back to Marlin for a 22 mag.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
BP-B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Dave...i also like Marlin .22mags, have a tube fed version and a clip fed.

The clip fed is a stainless model i found at a pretty cheap price, and thought it might come in handy....it has. It shoots quite well, and i like the light weight.

[Linked Image]

============================================================

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by passport
RAR Predator with Hornady works for me.

[Linked Image]

100 yard group
[Linked Image]

Which stock is that?

Ted
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX
Dave...i also like Marlin .22mags, have a tube fed version and a clip fed.

The clip fed is a stainless model i found at a pretty cheap price, and thought it might come in handy....it has. It shoots quite well, and i like the light weight.

[Linked Image]
Nice shot !

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I am just getting into rim fires in a big way and coming around to form some solid opinions. Or I would hope better informed opinions than in the past. So FWIW. I feel this is the wrong question "Most accurate 22mag?". But, this thread is as usual for 24hcf providing the right answer to right question "best 22mag?".

Hunting VS accuracy braggin rights or relaxed afternoon of paper punching at the range are not the same sport. The is no such thing as $30 a box match ammo in 22mag. Even in 22LR, you can get the finest Cooper or Anschutz sporter and locate that 1/4 at 50yd load. That is a wonderful thing. But to hunt most will turn to CCI Minimag in 22lR and settle for 'reasonable' accuracy in return for the optimum killing power. In 22 mag. You buy a Cooper or Ruger but accuracy is only one consideration and is always/always a crap shoot. Odds are, you already decided, either you want a 40gr max killing power or a 30VMax for maximum range. If it shoots adequate you are good to go. Then how does the gun carry? Is it reliable? Even if, price were no object, IMHO "MY best" 22mag, to hunt, is the Ruger American Compact with an adult stock module. And what else is a 22mag for but to hunt?

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I like my old Marlin micro groove 22mag that will deliver 5 shots in 1" at 100 yards on a lucky day. I had to strip my Marlin bolt down and repair the firing pin after 35 years use. I see the Ruger American is a far superior design and execution to the Marlin. My Ruger will also deliver the needed accuracy. The action is smoother, stronger with a better design. A better magazine. And better handling. Marlins I have seen are a tad too long.

The Anschutz Sporters are all way too muzzle heavy for my hunting needs. And way to finicky on extraction.

I have to plead some ignorance on Cooper. I image one could be special ordered to match the handling of the Ruger Compact and on average be far more accurate. Probably they could deliver and guarantee accuracy with test targets. It will cost some real money.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sometimes it's just hard to have just one, I have a Savage 93 and
a CZ 452 in the .22 Mag , they both will shoot inside a dime at 50 yards and inside a Quarter at 100 yards.Start with one and see where it goes.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have a CZ453 American in 22LR. I agree they are nice guns. They look great and carry 'almost' as well as the Ruger. Not quite as handy. A nice option to consider for a wood stock classy and classic gun. If you can find one a 452 or 453 American.

I would not expect to be within a dime at 50 with any 22mag. That is 5 shots under 3/8 at 50 and really requires a bit of luck. I think anyway. Not been my experience with 22mags to see that level of accuracy. For me, that has required some quality ammo in 22LR and a very good rifle. You can call me a bad shot or hack , but my CZ American in 22LR with best ammo to date, is eeking out maybe 1/2 at 50 for 5 shots.

When I test for accuracy in 22LR, I shoot 10 groups of 5 shots at 50 yards. Many shoot 10 shot groups. I take the median group. Nothing is thrown out. No excuses, it all counts. In 22mag, I pretty much consider that a waste of time and ammo. Group sizes are larger. That is my groups.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I agree that a good 22LR will generally be more accurate than all but the better 22 mags.

After looking at my post I should have been more clear. I would not call Marlins the most accurate, but maybe, the best chance of getting one "accurate enough" if you just want to hunt with it and not spend several hundred. At least that's my opinion, take it for what you paid for it. If you want to plug paper with small rimfire groups you can do way better than any 22 mag I've shot or seen shot. I also agree that the 22 mag is at its best as a hunting round or a truck gun.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
To tell the truth I don't worry about .22 Magnum accuracy as much as I used to, because to me the .22 Magnum is a rimfire cartridge for bigger game than squirrels, whether tree squirrels or prairie dogs. If I want super accuracy for either head-shooting tree squirrels or zapping ground squirrels, I'll take a .22 Long Rifle or .17 HMR.

The .22 Magnum, it seems to me after 40+ years of shooting them, doesn't need to be as accurate, because it's best on animals weighing around 10 pounds or more, whether jackrabbits, foxes, woodchucks, or whatever. And super-accuracy isn't needed on those animals.

The .22 Magnum isn't as good a target round as the .22 Long Rifle, or as good a small varmint round as the .17 HMR, so why worry about whether it puts five shots into 1/2" at 50 yards? (Though I do own one such .22 Magnum at this moment, at least with one load.)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
fourbore,

I don't know how you figure a "dime-sized group" is under 3/8". A dime is .7" in diameter.

If we want to cover all the holes with a dime, subtract .22" from .70" and we get .48", center to center, which is not 3/8".

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
3/8" = 0.375"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by old_willys
Originally Posted by passport
RAR Predator with Hornady works for me.

[Linked Image]

100 yard group
[Linked Image]

Which stock is that?

Boyds Pro Varmint

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/FindA...&Action=4U&Shape=1G&Finish=2

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
260RemGuy,

Which is part of my point.

The term dime-sized group can mean many things. Does it mean the group can be covered by a dime? Or that it's about the diameter of a dime?

Most people don't realize a dime is almost 3/4" in diameter. Somehow they think it's tiny, as in 3/8".

John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Definition of a dime sized group as follows-
If I shoot a group, and, not counting fliers,or the shots that I pulled, or the cold barrel shot, or the last couple of shots when the barrel was hot, and it looks like a dime could touch all the shots except the above mentioned, with no more sliding than could be done with my little finger, it is a freekin dime sized group.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Royce
Definition of a dime sized group as follows-
If I shoot a group, and, not counting fliers,or the shots that I pulled, or the cold barrel shot, or the last couple of shots when the barrel was hot, and it looks like a dime could touch all the shots except the above mentioned, with no more sliding than could be done with my little finger, it is a freekin dime sized group.

That sounds more like a pancake sized group... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Nope- Dime sized! smile

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Have you heard of a "dime-sized" pancake? We make them at home on weekends.

The groups described and depicted would be lethal on game.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
To tell the truth I don't worry about .22 Magnum accuracy as much as I used to, because to me the .22 Magnum is a rimfire cartridge for bigger game than squirrels, whether tree squirrels or prairie dogs. If I want super accuracy for either head-shooting tree squirrels or zapping ground squirrels, I'll take a .22 Long Rifle or .17 HMR.

The .22 Magnum, it seems to me after 40+ years of shooting them, doesn't need to be as accurate, because it's best on animals weighing around 10 pounds or more, whether jackrabbits, foxes, woodchucks, or whatever. And super-accuracy isn't needed on those animals.

The .22 Magnum isn't as good a target round as the .22 Long Rifle, or as good a small varmint round as the .17 HMR, so why worry about whether it puts five shots into 1/2" at 50 yards? (Though I do own one such .22 Magnum at this moment, at least with one load.)

Well put. That's pretty much what I meant by "accurate enough".

I did want one that would hang around 1" at 100 for crows around the house and for turkey hunting. Took 1 Marlin to find what I wanted after 2 higher dollar Rugers wouldn't. The Rugers even got bedded, aftermarket sears, and some other playing with. The Marlin got a spring from an old Bic to lower the trigger pull. YMMV.

Dave.

www.wvcdl.org
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A buddy just bought one of the new Ruger .17 WSM rifles, and it does shoot "dime-sized groups" at 100 yards. He really likes it on crows, and right now the ammo is very available and not all that expensive.

Of course, the .17 HMR ain't bad either. One of the interesting things I've noticed is that a lot of shooters assume its bullet drift more in the wind than .22 Magnum bullets, because of the weight. In reality .17 HMR bullets drift less, because weight really has little to do with wind-drift. Instead the two determining factors are velocity and ballistic coefficient, and most .17 HMR loads beat most .22 Magnum loads in both ways.

John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
118 members (257 mag, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 16 invisible), 1,747 guests, and 807 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.