Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Stopped into the local funstore last night to pick up a case of skeet loads. Browsing through the used gun section I came across a CZ550 FS, chambered in 9.3x62. This is the carbine, Mannlicher stocked version. Wood was nice with no outstanding blemishes, as was the bluing. Recoil pad had a few scuffs, but nothing outrageous. Price was $750, if I recall. This is not a normal find in Fargo, ND. If you are interested, call the Fargo Scheels at 701-298-2918.

I am NOT affiliated with them in any way.....

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
GB1

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That would have been a lot cheaper than puttering around with the one I puttered around with.

Retired cat herder.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have one of these, pull it out of the fullstock and put it in a McMillan HTG and you have a great, compact do it all rifle and a tack driver to boot. seems to like just about anything you feed it.

Highly recommend it

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
why the HTG?

Hardin284
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by hardin284
why the HTG?

I can only give you my take. The CZ fancy stocks have the humpback butt. This style tends to increase the effect of recoil. It is exact opposite of the convention of a straight back stock to reduce felt recoil and improve control of the rifle for a follow up shot. I know 9.3 is not an elephant gun but it is not a 7x57 either. And why suffer for style.

The 2nd problem with these hump back stocks with the excessive drop is they are optimize for sighting with iron sites. I hazard a guess, 95% of hunters want to use a scope these days. Or perhaps QD mount and have the irons as a fall back.

While a fancy grade walnut stock along the lines of the HTG would be nice, at least the McMillan is for hunting and not looking pretty, stylish or showing off ones euro class.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Fourbore is correct on all counts. The humpback stock is great for open sights and handles recoil really nicely in that it tends to roll the gun up a bit rather than push it straight back into your shoulder, however it also sucks for using a scope. The humpback stock holds your eye naturally in line with the irons and at least for me would require a pad to get proper eye lineup.

I wanted something a little more weatherproof so removed the FS and pillar bedded the barreled action using devcon. With the HTG i get good eye lineup with the fixed 6x swarovski i put on the top of it.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
This strikes me as a practical 9.3 by CZ

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-550-carbine-9-3x62-5-rd-fixed-mag-composite/

Maybe the price went up or post retirement the numbers all look bigger frown

I dont see much in the 550 std action these days. I guess they kept this as a hi-end fancy option only. CZ idea of fancy is a hump back stock. And now they are pushing the cheeped-out new CZ bolt design 557. Looks like $800 vs $1200 sticker price. The old 550 was $800, quite less actual retail.

CZ did the same thing with the 452 replaced with 455. A disappointing but all too familar trend. And it seem the consumer could not care less.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I love my 9.3X62 550FS. The recoil isn't that much worse than my friends American model. I got used to the stock as is. But I finally put a Leather cheek rest and it feels better now that I can shoot it with a good cheek weld.

Give the dealer some line of BS about the European stock feeling weird, hard to get ammo; and try to buy it for $700.00.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The Euro style hump back is an acquired taste. I have one, a full stock, in 7x57. I can shoot it OK, although there isn't much of a cheek weld with that comb, more like a jawbone weld. I tend to stock crawl more with this one and the Conquest is set a bit forward from my usual scope position.

The 9.3x62 is a custom AHR with a straight stock. Although quite different, I like them both. I would think the hump back in a big boomer would be tougher to handle than a straight stock. The 9.3x62 in this configuration is a comfortable gun to shoot. I've never shot a hump back 9.3x62.

With higher combs, I like a heads up position with the scope set back a bit. I can move back and forth between these two type combs, shooting both pretty well without much problem.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 07/14/15.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Love the AHR rifle...Wayne does great work.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My take, I don't like the humpback at all. The American is an alright design for mitigating recoil, but a tad bulky. Trigger shoe on the CZ is too narrow, but pull wt and adjustability is excellent. I hate the thin sharp 2 position safety. Not a fan of the FS at all either, but do love the AHR's. Very nice rifle Dirtfarmer. Yours is as beautiful as the groups mine shoots... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
This AHR really likes JB's 260 NAB load, shoots it sub inch.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Biebs
Love the AHR rifle...Wayne does great work.

He's getting a bit pricey. I was fortunate to trade for that one.

DF

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I have a CZ550 Lux with the Euro cheek piece. I find it helps with the 9.3x62 recoil

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

151 members (6mmbrfan, 257 mag, 280ACKIMP, 44mc, 35, 338rcm, 17 invisible), 1,299 guests, and 862 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,223
Posts18,447,517
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.