-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There was that thread over at 1911forum.com, surveying owners of different pistols about reliability in the first 200 rounds. IIRC, the best 1911 mfr's were Wilson and Baer, with 12% & 13% failures, respectively. Glock slightly edged Wilson, by maybe 1%. So for the sake of argument they were essentially the same as Glock. H&K beat everybody, with only about 4% failures.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by T LEE
The biggest cause of the 1911 platform is amateurs trying to tweak the sear/disconnector/grip safety spring for a lighter trigger pull. It is critical to performance that it be in balance. Especially the sear engagement, a bit too lite and the hammer following the slide syndrome and full auto firing are the result. The next is the sear-hammer engagement surfaces, they need to be as parallel as possible, smooth faces with sharp edges.

The 1911 was designed to be rugged and reliable, when folks get to tinkering without the proper tools, equipment and skill bad things happen.

The other problem is feeding of ammo other than ball in older guns, the barrel ramp must have the proper geometry for reliable feeding of semi-wadcutter and HP ammo. The older guns have steeper ramp than the more modern iterations and tends to jam non ball ammo against the top of the chamber. This modification MUST be approached with great caution if foe no other reason than too much material removal leads to dangerous unsupported case heads. A KB from the chamber and break grips and magazines along with hand injuries.

Now don't take my word for it as I have only worked on and/or accurized a few hundred of them and built several "race" guns in my life! smile smile smile

TLee,

The RIA that I carry these days is extremely reliable with all sorts of ammo, from all weights of HP to very old french surplus ball, and also the CCI shotshell.
They call it their gov't model. Is it's ramp configured differently than what the U.S. military 1911s were?

Most newer 1911's are factory ramped and throated for the more aggressive bullet configurations out there, they are not set up like the old JMB design as he was designing for military ball ammo.. It is the subtle differences that make them ammo friendly without diminishing accuracy or function, this is a good thing. The "Government Model" designation usually denotes the cosmetics and appearance. MIL-SPEC would denote original configuration of design parameters.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by 41magfan
A quality 1911 that's properly set-up and fed good ammo from good magazines, is as durable and reliable as any platform out there.

Why doesn't that statement raise red flags

i always here how superior 1911s are--once they are set up as outlined above

But a Glock that goes from box to holster an will shoot a few thousand rounds with nary a problem is "tupperware junk"

Glad we could raise your awareness level...

Note that the 1911 malfunctions discussed here are 100% due to user modifications to firing mechanism.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by 41magfan
A quality 1911 that's properly set-up and fed good ammo from good magazines, is as durable and reliable as any platform out there.

Why doesn't that statement raise red flags

i always here how superior 1911s are--once they are set up as outlined above

But a Glock that goes from box to holster an will shoot a few thousand rounds with nary a problem is "tupperware junk"

Paid $499 for my RIA and it has yet to fail to do everything asked of it.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have worn out a few 1911s, failures are not common.rio7

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (2500HD, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,651
Posts18,455,483
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.