Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Pivot sprinklers have about done in our pheasants, etc. There are no more ditch rows and many of the fence rows are gone. No cover, no birds.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mudhen
Our first broods from the scaled quail in the "yard coveys" are already so big that it's difficult to tell them from the adults. Looking forward to a lot of double clutching in both scalies and Gambels.

Very large coveys of Gambels here, they seem to think the world of the berry rows. Don't know what's up with the Scaled,....just don't see as many around as I once did.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Pivot sprinklers have about done in our pheasants, etc. There are no more ditch rows and many of the fence rows are gone. No cover, no birds.

Sad what pheasant hunting is here in SW Idaho compared to the 70's and 80's.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
been hearing bob whites behind the house for 2 months. love it

FJB
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Quail need 3 things food water and cover, if you don't have all 3 No, or very few Quail, Greg, the reason the Quail like your berry patch, food, water cover.Any place there's water you will have cover and bugs, pretty simple. rio7

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
A friend that I hunted a lot with,who became a US FWS biologist,called central MO. the "fescue desert" back in the late 70s. He said that all the fescue that was being planted in those days would do away with our quail.I think that he was right.
Also in those days we had prairie chickens on the prairie ground but I haven't seen a chicken in years...less and less prairie all the time...really doubt if housecats caught very many chickens but skunks,possums,and coons will eat every egg they can find also there are a lot more hawks now than there were then.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 700LH
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Sad what pheasant hunting is here in SW Idaho compared to the 70's and 80's.

Same story with Nebraska. Plenty of predators though.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
think this yr might be the first i hunt quail in probably 30 yrs. still haven't seen any blues.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We have two mated pairs of Gambels quail in our neighborhood. I'd been seeing them skittering about as pairs all Spring, until a few days ago when all four showed up together with chicks. Little brown fuzzballs everywhere! Seemed like a hundred of them, but probably no more than two dozen.

We love watching them.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by stxhunter
think this yr might be the first i hunt quail in probably 30 yrs. still haven't seen any blues.

Call me. LOL. Haven't shot a quail since the 80s IIRC either.

I did find a few bluebonnet seeds, and need to make time to finish your 223 stuff, will box it at some point and send unless you are working in the area again let me know.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
sure thing Jeff. we have had huntable numbers every now and then over the yrs but i don't have a dog to find them when they go down in the brush. the yr before last though we dozed out some clearings so we could hunt birds.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RIO7
Quail need 3 things food water and cover, if you don't have all 3 No, or very few Quail, Greg, the reason the Quail like your berry patch, food, water cover.Any place there's water you will have cover and bugs, pretty simple. rio7

Been fine tuning the setup for years,....the young quail REALLY like young grasses ( been told it's a critical requirement.)
I've been cover cropping oats, in with the chiles, and the precision with which the quail crop the young sprouts is micrometer grade.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Unfortunately it is proven that pet cats reduce the bird population drastically more than any other predator. Take care of them quietly and silently.

Ive read that and since they are a cat, I don't doubt it, but our bird populations go down the most when the grey fox numbers go up.

But we don't want a bazillion cats either so Carolyn traps em and I shoot em as needed.

But still amazed our 2 wild barn cats must not affect the population that much.

Wished we had quail again, but as long as fire ants are here, it won't happen to any extent.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mohick
any p o s of cat more then 100 yards from a house goes lights out here, they are the skurg of the earth, anybody that pampers a cat is just as big a pussy as the damn cat!! get more song birds and quail than any hawk or owl ever could.

Tree stand hunting deer one day a covey went thru chirping and beeping and picking in the grass.
About 5 min. later a big black cat.
I swear he was scent trailing them, but don't think cats can do that.
Me and my longbow pinned him to the ground.
He thrashed and struggled a bit then layed down and said, "Meow".

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Quail, Are like mother natures cheeseburgers, every predator type critter eats them, a Quail spends most of it's life on the ground, and nests close to the ground,coyotes get about 30% of the baby's and nests 18% of Quail are taken by other predators cats,snakes, hawks,owls,coons feral cats can be a real problem with your Quail.
They need a cover of tall weeds or bunch grass to protect them from above, and bunch grass that they can run threw and hide in. only about 50% of the Quail crop each year makes it to hunting season then they are attacked by humans and dogs,{more predators} I have been studying and watching them for years trying to learn how to improve our Quail on the ranch, I could go on all day about what I have learned, but it would not take long for me to tell you what I know for sure. Rio7

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was raised feeding bird dogs and following my Dad around the Ga. small farms and woods, quail hunting.

We would hunt from just after daylight..enough time to let them fly off the roost and put down a little scent..til noon. Then go to a country store and get a can or two of sardines, thick slice of cheese, some saltines and a moon pie or honey bun and wash it all down with a Nehi or R.C. Then go back and hunt til sundown.

We did a whole lot of walking through some thick briers following some real good dogs.

Can't remember the last time I heard Bob White...call in the spring.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Living in the west now and have dozens of California quail in the back yard every day. It probably does not hurt that Cookie puts out about 1/2 gal of cracked corn in the sagebrush behind the house. The little guys put a real priority on wing feathers and can fly within a couple days of hatching.

[Linked Image]

I've not heard a single Bob White though during my last 3 or 4 visits to West Virginia, Virginia, or Maryland.

1Minute
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 52 invisible), 2,588 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,241
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.