Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

"When you're outdoors, you tend to worry about grizzly bears, sharks, and mountain lions. But the real dangers are the parasites and microbes you can't even see. Steven Rinella has been felled by the worst of them, and he offers an essential guide to prioritizing your panic."

http://www.outsideonline.com/1994346/little-things-kill-you

Quando omni flunkus moritati
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good article - and spot on. I'm aware of the micro world but honestly don't do as much as I should.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Giardia might not kill you but if you've traveled cross country to hunt or fish, it can give a truly memorable flight home. Imagine standing in line to get through airport security with your bowels being ripped apart.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like his shows and recipes. He managed to catch trichinosis from a black bear if I recall.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If you traveled in a car, or plane to get to your hunting destination, you already beat the odds.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
If you traveled in a car, or plane to get to your hunting destination, you already beat the odds.

This... my buddy hates planes. I tell him all the time if he survived the 1-2 hour drive to the airport he has beat the odds...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
During my career I lived overseas for 14 years in a dozen countries in South America, Africa and Asia. I travelled 70 countries.

I lived in primitive camps in the wilderness for a year at a time, in a two room skid mounted camp with bath. And a separate cook tent. I had native cooks preparing meals. Water came from drilled wells and was stored in a trailer mounted 500 gallon tank. I worked night shifts with lights that drew huge swarms of insects, some monstrous 2 inches long - that all bit. My hands were swollen from the bites.

In 14 years I never contracted any disease. Never spent a day in a hospital and never lost a day of work due to diseases.

Further I have been bitten three times by Lyme ticks and have not contracted it either. *( Not all Lyme ticks are contagious ).

I never really had a close encounter with snakes but there were some close calls alright several times. And I mean the bad ones, Green Mombas, Cobras and the little deadly ones too. Never had a confrontation with a Black Mombas

I'll have to say that I was never "up tight" fretting about catching diseases. I just took normal precautions, nothing extraordinary, and my cooks and native workers were never a problem from a sanitation point of view.

Last edited by William_E_Tibbe; 07/01/15.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by William_E_Tibbe
During my career I lived overseas for 14 years in a dozen countries in South America, Africa and Asia. I travelled 70 countries.

I lived in primitive camps in the wilderness for a year at a time, in a two room skid mounted camp with bath. And a separate cook tent. I had native cooks preparing meals. Water came from drilled wells and was stored in a trailer mounted 500 gallon tank. I worked night shifts with lights that drew huge swarms of insects, some monstrous 2 inches long - that all bit. My hands were swollen from the bites.

In 14 years I never contracted any disease. Never spent a day in a hospital and never lost a day of work due to diseases.

Further I have been bitten three times by Lyme ticks and have not contracted it either. *( Not all Lyme ticks are contagious ).

I never really had a close encounter with snakes but there were some close calls alright several times. And I mean the bad ones, Green Mombas, Cobras and the little deadly ones too. Never had a confrontation with a Black Mombas

I'll have to say that I was never "up tight" fretting about catching diseases. I just took normal precautions, nothing extraordinary, and my cooks and native workers were never a problem from a sanitation point of view.

There we go, Captain Horatio Hornblower ain't worried about it, I ain't worried about it.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Steelhead

There we go, Captain Horatio Hornblower ain't worried about it, I ain't worried about it.

Stay away from slow burning powder and you'll be all right.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Snork! laugh

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
During my time on the Mt. Coffee dam project, in Monrovia Liberia, with Raymond International I personally was on site while a Liberian bull dozer operator was clearing forest. He shook a big tree and a Green Momba dropped down and bit him in the face. He died within a relative short time before medical attention was available.

One Canadian employee was bring a whole truck load of Liberian employees to the work suite when he encountered a very aggressive Cobra in the roadway. He stopped and confronted the snake with a shovel and duly dispatched it. He then brought it into camp ands stopped by my location showing me the dead snake. His Liberian passengers said: Boss you is crazy !!!!

There were absolutely electrically charged species in the river completely capable of delivering a lethal dose. Fortunately everyone was already well aware and on guard. No fatalities occurred nor any adverse injuries.

Last edited by William_E_Tibbe; 07/01/15.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Good posts, but dont be more experienced in matters on the fire more than more experienced fire members or you will experience denigration and castigation in greater degrees than you can contemplate in your wildest imagination and suffer the arrows of ostrazation by the elite of the campfire nation. wink

Last edited by eyeball; 07/01/15.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Esox357
I like his shows and recipes. He managed to catch trichinosis from a black bear if I recall.

He has a series of free podcasts that offer a lot more detail on his trips than the 22 minute TV shows can, along with good discussions on general outdoor topics. You can link to them through his website, themeateater.com.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good to know, thanks Pappy348!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348

He has a series of free podcasts that offer a lot more detail on his trips than the 22 minute TV shows can, along with good discussions on general outdoor topics. You can link to them through his website, themeateater.com.

His books are good too - also free at the library.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I need to get a library card.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I need to get a library card.

It seems like my library has more DVDs than netflix. It's always nice to get something for my(way too high) taxes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi Whip:

Your subject matter is certainly important enough to deserve some more observations.

One of mine is, after living overseas for so long, that there is NOTHING in the underdeveloped countries, where I sent most of my time, like the good old USA. You had to be constantly alert and vigilant and take extraordinary precautions to avoid the pitfall and tiny little varmints.

Maybe I should have mentioned that back in my days there was the World Health Organization, International Certificates of Vaccination. You got your shots or you didn't travel, period.

I still have one of my old certificates. Shots were for cholera, yellow fever, thypus, typhoid A&B. Those countries were walking diseases.

You never, ever drank tap water. *( Only bottled water) You did not eat green/raw salads. Did not frequent native restaurants you in the boondocks.

Your post focuses on dangerous diseases and that is, in my opinion, really a very important issue that has profound consequences for us here at home. To elaborate here is a link to Dr. Madeline Cosman's article about the diseases aliens are bringing into our country.

http://www.newswithviews.com/Cosman/madeleine3.htm

With all of the hullabaloo now with the Presidential candidates this subject takes on new light.

Last edited by William_E_Tibbe; 07/04/15.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Howdy Mr. Tibbe,

Yes, every time I travel overseas for work I get sick. I went to Brazil last August and while it looked pretty westernized I still got sick. Fortunately it was just some tummy trouble but being sick traveling is a lot worse than being home. It's always nice to get home to where you speak the language.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Mr. Tibbe, hat is your occupation and mos? powdr

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,875 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,350
Posts18,468,852
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.