Campfire Regular
E
And a few more before supper!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This sum bitch looked at me like I owed him money!
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Elkhunter49; 06/30/15.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
A the last for now!!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Elkhunter49; 06/30/15.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
well guess what? My Dad admitted that axis died in his yard last night. Some small wound in his side but he did not shoot it. He tried about two months ago- same deer- wit ha crossbow that self destructed. I told hime he is going to hell for lying but no- I wont tell my nephews he didn't get it with a 9mm.

HE was having a good time on this one. Never trust that man again grin

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B2

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Ive heard those Pere Davids deer don't taste so good...

I know the Oryx do.... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
That is correct sir, The Pere David deer are a little gamey. My favorite is Eland followed by Axis,Oryx then Nilgai. I've herd that Gemsbok is very good but I've never tried it. I'm not crazy about Blackbuck either.Baker

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
I love me some nilgai, and Gemsbok is excellent!

Shot a mouflon on this last trip, but gave it to the help so I don't know how it tastes...

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
[quote=ingwe]I love me some nilgai, and Gemsbok is excellent!

Shot a mouflon on this last trip, but gave it to the help so I don't know how it tastes...

Nice Ram, and I think you made the right choice with the meat!!

Last edited by Elkhunter49; 07/01/15.

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Dats what I heard.... grin

IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice mouflon ingwe... I really enjoyed hunting them.. Never shot an nilgai, but my pal got and eland as you say, excellent.. Did you enjoy the mouflon hunt?? I had a great time with it..

Elk, was one of those animals a bongo??? Sure looked like it..
The buffalo weren't capes were they?? Most of the stuff I recognize, but wasn't sure about a couple..

ingwe, when is the earliest hunt for axis on the outfit you hunted?? Went in June one year, some of the last hunts I made down there, the heat about did me in..

Great photos, thanks again.

Molon Labe
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
I did kinda enjoy the Mouflon...they were spooky as hell, which was good. I just can't do the 'hunt' where critters stand around waiting to be shot. The day before we had seen a whopper mouflon, but of course he didn't show when we were serious.

I wonder if they eat those things in Europe. they make a big deal out of them for sure.

Im not sure how early Axis hunts are offered but a couple guys here went in april and found lots of hard horned bucks, so Im going to do a little prospecting about that month...

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
If you don't mind, would you let me know what you find.. That would be about perfect, I think for weather.. I hunted quite a bit on spring break, that was in March.. Just a tad too early.. April would be great weather..

Molon Labe
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
10-4

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Nice mouflon ingwe... I really enjoyed hunting them.. Never shot an nilgai, but my pal got and eland as you say, excellent.. Did you enjoy the mouflon hunt?? I had a great time with it..

Elk, was one of those animals a bongo??? Sure looked like it..
The buffalo weren't capes were they?? Most of the stuff I recognize, but wasn't sure about a couple..

ingwe, when is the earliest hunt for axis on the outfit you hunted?? Went in June one year, some of the last hunts I made down there, the heat about did me in..

Great photos, thanks again.

Yes sir that one looking backwards is a Bongo!!! The Buffalo are Asian Water Buffalo.

The majority of the Axis bucks get hard horned in late spring and early summer (Summer Bucks) but it all depends on when they were born. They are some that get hard horned in the fall and winter and a second less intense rut happens around the first of December (Winter bucks) much like WT. There are some big winter Axis killed each year but I quit hunting them then because I was seeing too many big bodied deer that had dropped their racks. I love to eat Axis and normally take a couple does every year but I'm a trophy hunter at heart.

Last edited by Elkhunter49; 07/01/15.

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
So tell me. I haven't dug into this Axis to eat it yet. the buck i killed last year was fine, but younger. I noticed when cutting up the meat that my buck seems a bit tougher to get through than the doe I shot. Is the meat on the bigger ones a bit chewy or am I overthinking it?

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
ingwe, thanks for the 10-4.. We have eaten Axis deer that were older bucks, and some younger cull bucks.. It was all excellent,BUT when I was hunting them a lot, we were in the Kerrville area.. I could have a buck cut, wrapped and frozen for $60.. For $5. additional they would run the steaks though a meat tenderizer.. I had that done each time so, it made quite a diff.

Elk, thanks for the info.. I didn't realize they had bongo in Tx.. I never saw that or the water buffalo.. Any idea of the price of a water buffalo??

Molon Labe
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Elk, thanks for the info.. I didn't realize they had bongo in Tx.. I never saw that or the water buffalo.. Any idea of the price of a water buffalo?? [/quote]

The Buffalo in the photo are on the Ox ranch and I've seen them everytime I hunted the place. I don't think the buffalo would be much of a hunt as the ones I've seen on theOx were always in or near the river and never ran where we saw them. They have several big old nasty looking bulls but they are pricey. I think about 5K or so.

Ingwe, the Axis is no different than any other deer in that the old bucks will be tougher than a doe or young deer. I'll still take them over anything else I've eaten other than Eland!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice job on the axis deer, Tom!

Not sure how I missed this.

Hope you are doing well and getting in some creek fishing.

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Chris, doing OK here and getting in some Pd shooting and creek fishing. Starting to get ready to go to Alberta for pike next month.....otherwise hiding in the basement with the air conditioner!

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (14idaho, 280shooter, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 300_savage, 9 invisible), 1,540 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.