Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This one may get interesting:

http://www.wbtv.com/story/29441603/former-prosecutor-fatally-shoots-man-who-shot-grandmother

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) -

A man is dead after police say he was shot by a former prosecutor in east Charlotte after allegedly shooting his grandmother in the leg, causing her to crash into a telephone pole.

The shooting happened around 9:39 a.m. Tuesday morning along the 1200 block of Pegram Street.

Police say that 31-year-old Degarrian Santonia Coleman and his grandmother, whose name has not been released, were driving along Pegram Street when they got into an argument. During that fight, police say, Coleman shot his grandmother in the leg, causing her to crash her vehicle into a telephone pole.

Relatives and friends say Coleman suffered from hallucinations and post traumatic stress. It's unclear what triggered the shooting in the car.

When the pair got out of the car, police say Coleman continued to shoot at his grandmother. That's when Stephen Sellers, who lives nearby, heard the commotion.

"One person or both parties got out of the car - the suspect and the victim," said Lt. Luke Sells with CMPD, "And a homeowner nearby heard the shots being fired."

Sellers, a former prosecutor, was getting ready for work when he said he heard shouting, then a gunshot, then a woman's voice crying "Don't shoot me," according to his attorney George Laughrun.

According to Laughrun, Sellers went outside and saw Coleman waving a gun and a female "cowering between cars" asking the gunman not to shoot her.

Sellers got his rifle, fired a warning shot and told Coleman, who was about 30-to-40 feet away, to drop his gun.

"And at that time the suspect did not to put down the gun and the homeowner shot the suspect," Lt. Sells said.

Laughrun said Coleman pointed the gun at his client, and Sellers fired three more shots, hitting Coleman in the chest.

A woman who did not want to give her name but identified herself as a friend of Coleman's said "that man didn't have to kill him like that and I understand he felt he was going to help that lady but he could have shot him in a defense tactic, like his waist."

She said the homeowner "could have hit him in his leg if he was really trying to defend and diffuse a situation."

When officials arrived on the scene, the grandmother was taken to Carolinas Medical Center to be treated for her injuries.

Coleman was also transported to the hospital where he later died.

According to the District Attorney's office, Sellers "was employed as an Assistant District Attorney from September 2011 to March 2014. During that period, he spent the vast majority of his time working on the Misdemeanor Team."

The DA says they are looking into whether any charges will be filed against him.

"Following CMPD's investigation, which is ongoing, the DA's Office will perform an independent review to determine whether any charges are appropriate. This review, which will be done in the same manner as any review of a fatal incident, will be done only with the consideration of the evidence and the law and without any regard to Mr. Sellers past employment."

Laughrun says his client regrets that a life was lost, but that he took action to save someone, and defended himself after Coleman pointed the gun at him.

Laughrun said the shooting was "tragic and justified under the circumstances."

Sam Hollis, who lives near the scene, shared his thoughts about the incident.

"It's been a while since there's been a shooting like this," Hollis said. "He saved the grandmother's life. Why would you want to kill your own grandmother?"

Relatives said Coleman, a father of four, was once shot in the face during a home invasion. They said he never recovered emotionally from it.

His family believes the homeowner should face charges. They said Coleman's relatives were on the scene and were trying to calm him down when Sellers fired the shots.

"I just don't want it to be said he saved the neighbor because he did not save that neighbor," Coleman's friend said of Sellers. "That lady right now is dealing with losing her grandson."

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call 704-432-TIPS and speak to a Homicide Unit Detective. You can also call Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600 or visit the Crime Stoppers mobile app website at http://charlottecrimestoppers.com/.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

BP-B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A woman who did not want to give her name but identified herself as a friend of Coleman's said "that man didn't have to kill him like that and I understand he felt he was going to help that lady but he could have shot him in a defense tactic, like his waist."

She said the homeowner "could have hit him in his leg if he was really trying to defend and diffuse a situation."

Not this crap again....

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That scene could use a good purging to rid society of all the Stupid involved.

LOL
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Relatives said Coleman, a father of four, was once shot in the face during a home invasion. They said he never recovered emotionally from it.

His family believes the homeowner should face charges. They said Coleman's relatives were on the scene and were trying to calm him down when Sellers fired the shots.

"I just don't want it to be said he saved the neighbor because he did not save that neighbor," Coleman's friend said of Sellers. "That lady right now is dealing with losing her grandson."
No good deed goes unpunished.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RWE

Not this crap again....
black mentality

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"He needed killin'" should be a viable defense... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
WTF? A warning shot???

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I can't see where he would be prosecuted, it sounds like a legitimate use of force in defense of another's life.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I can't see where he would be prosecuted, it sounds like a legitimate use of force in defense of another's life.

He may not be prosecuted, but before it's over, I'll bet he feels like his efforts were not worth the trouble he will go through...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
just damn. Even when a thug is killing his own grandma (most likely, the woman that raised him), his life means more than his victims.

Negros are, well, challenged...........

Sam......

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Degarrian Santonia Coleman
That's a name? It sounds more like a disease.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would be more apt to charge him with negligent discharge for the warning shot than I would for shooting the bad guy...

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

He may not be prosecuted, but before it's over, I'll bet he feels like his efforts were not worth the trouble he will go through...

True

P
PWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Stunning. And a lesson for all that as long as they are killing their own do not get involved.

Perry

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Charged? Sellers should get a good citizen award and a financial "Thank You" from the city..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pete E
Charged? Sellers should get a good citizen award and a financial "Thank You" from the city..

Sadly, would all depend on which State and which City he lived in...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by PWN
Stunning. And a lesson for all that as long as they are killing their own do not get involved.

That is about true

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

In how much trouble would he be in the UK?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

True

This. ^^^^^

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
And from the family of the Grandma, but you see where that's going.

It's hard to believe that blacks really believe their "black lives matter" hype. But that's something I'm not supposed to have standing to say.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
330 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 45 invisible), 2,220 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,607
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.