Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Is it time to convert cash into tangible assets? I don't necessarily mean precious metals either. How close are we to becoming Greece or Italy? Greece is at 177% debt to GP and we are at 101%. I'd rather have more "stuff" than paper money that is worthless or simply gone.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ten pages, easily.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Guns and ammo. Always a good investment.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Yep. And timing is everything, since they may not be all that available, for all that long. I see another run on guns coming and doubt they'll ever be worth less.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Well...

There is the thought that tangible assets will maintain a certain value whereas printed money not so much, especially if the fed bank decides to inflate the debt away...

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RickyD
Yep. And timing is everything, since they may not be all that available, for all that long. I see another run on guns coming and doubt they'll ever be worth less.

That depends on who wins the Presidency.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by bcolorado
Well...

There is the thought that tangible assets will maintain a certain value whereas printed money not so much, especially if the fed bank decides to inflate the debt away...

If they are going to inflate, you want to be in stocks and real estate.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
$64 dollar question

the smart folks I pay to read pretty well think the can will be kicked down the road a bit longer

wish I knew for sure, worked hard the last 40 years, trying to work that hard again for the next 40 doesn't seem palatable.

hope we've got our bases covered, but I doubt it, know we're in better financial shape than many with some good options as to where to live, how to get food and hopefully some other needs or desires.

try and remain grateful for such.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Greece is much more broken than the US. They could fix their problems if they just collected the taxes that people don't pay and cut back on entitlement spending. The US certainly has it's problems as well but a situation like Greece isn't going to happen soon. Inflation will be a real issue in the US in coming years as the only way for the government to deal with mounting debt is to print more money and effectively devalue the currency. The entitlement class is really going to get hammered and it will lead to social upheaval.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by RickyD

That depends on who wins the Presidency.
I don't believe a run on guns will wait that long. And let's be sure there will be an election. We've seen what has happened in a couple of weeks. No telling what a few more months will bring.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I might have jumped-the-gun, so to speak, but several years ago, I bought land, all I could afford (which wasnt much) and paid cash, and havent been sorry.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Land is the only safe investment but you have to have enough money to do it. You can't do it with a couple hundred you have left over.

A very important rule of real estate that's often ignored is that you can't invest borrowed money. That's what got so many in trouble in the real estate market 10 years ago. They bought on credit thinking they were 'investing' but their interest payments over time are much higher than the appreciation of the property.

Another problem with buying real estate on credit is that if you miss even a single payment, you MUST catch it up or you'll never pay off the mortgage. Each month the money that would have been applied to the principle is instead paid to the back interest. At the end of the mortgage, there will be a huge balloon payment due that very few can pay off.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Land is the only safe investment but you have to have enough money to do it. You can't do it with a couple hundred you have left over.

A very important rule of real estate that's often ignored is that you can't invest borrowed money. That's what got so many in trouble in the real estate market 10 years ago. They bought on credit thinking they were 'investing' but their interest payments over time are much higher than the appreciation of the property.

Another problem with buying real estate on credit is that if you miss even a single payment, you MUST catch it up or you'll never pay off the mortgage. Each month the money that would have been applied to the principle is instead paid to the back interest. At the end of the mortgage, there will be a huge balloon payment due that very few can pay off.

If you are expecting run away inflation, you want to buy real estate with borrowed money, and a fixed interest rate. You will be paying the loan back with less valuable, inflated dollars, while the real estate appreciated in value due to the inflation.

In a stable inflation enviroment, the problem with real estate is TAXES.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Greece is what Obama wants the US to become.
Yes, it is time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

If you are expecting run away inflation, you want to buy real estate with borrowed money, and a fixed interest rate. You will be paying the loan back with less valuable, inflated dollars, while the real estate appreciated in value due to the inflation.

In a stable inflation enviroment, the problem with real estate is TAXES.

Yup, Tax man takes no matter if your land is increasing or decreasing in value. It takes a smart investor with lots of cash to make money in real estate. My boss has done very well buying people out when they get in trouble with their real estate investments......of course owning a civil engineering firm and having buddies that are bankers and realtors helps things along also.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have enough property. I was thinking more like .223/.556 by the pallet for a start. There is probably some law preventing that.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kend
I have enough property. I was thinking more like .223/.556 by the pallet for a start. There is probably some law preventing that.

no law that I'm aware of yet. Have pards that buy ammo by the pallet.

I don't think it's a bad idea at all, I doubt very much ammo prices will ever drop significantly and hey if you like to shoot and things never get bleak, you've bought quite a few hours of entertainment for tomorrow in today's dollars.

it gets bandied around here quite a bit, but in truly troubled economic times and/or social unrest, those with extra guns and ammo to sell, barter, trade, will be in better shape than those without.

medicines, and sin products, alcohol, tobacco, etc. will also be good trade items

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Kend,

There's a lot of politics in the price of ammo. If you think Hitlery will win, sure buy a couple of pallets. If a decent Republican wins the Whitehouse, we could see .223 Ammo back down to $200 a case.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bcolorado
Well...

If they are going to inflate, you want to be in stocks and real estate.

Done very well with stocks in the last couple of years smile

Question - Keep thinking about cashing out the stocks and using the money to pay off the mortgage. confused

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Question - Keep thinking about cashing out the stocks and using the money to pay off the mortgage.
That could turn into a "wish I woulda" pretty fast. I wouldn't think about it much longer, but do it. Good for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (007FJ, 2500HD, 1minute, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,985 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,527
Posts18,452,853
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.