Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I wish I knew, but suffice to say I was impressed by the Enterprise back in the late 60's. We were doing a downwind run with plans to turn back into the wind when the flyers geared up for their landing qualifications. Like many speed boats, the appearance from the stern was that if they backed off the throttles the trailing wave would have overrun the flight deck. Some serious vibrations going on as well that were not evident at all during normal operations.

Another impressive thing was how that boat could lay over when hanging a serious turn. I was aboard when a deck hand lobbed a 55 gallon drum over the rail during flight operations. Someone on an elevator below saw it drop out of the side of their eye and called in a man overboard. They put that ship on its side and had it turned around and back on spot in a couple minutes. All were accounted for, and we resumed the run. Warnings are issued during those maneuvers (i.e. keel to port), as planes, tractors, and other equipment needs to be ready.

Saddens me that she's being scrapped.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/01/15.

1Minute
BP-B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Many things can be done to hull shapes to somewhat change that general formula or guesstimate for a displacement hull, but you also reach a point to where you need twice the power or more just to increase speed by a couple knots. Stability and practicability also come into play, you can plow a barge through the water at speed with enough power, but why would you want to do it? I'll stick to my 35 to 37 knot estimate. But also didn't know the question was what the red-line speed might be or whether a new carrier could or would do a speed that could be more than safe or one in which she could tear her self apart.

40+, sure could be, but wouldn't bet her normal or crisis running speed being that high...

Phil

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Several times, during a crisis, I have heard of a carrier being off the east coast of the US and then in a couple of days it would be in the Mediterranean. That's around 4000 miles. 4000 / 60 mph = 66.6 hours which is almost 3 days, not 2. 4000 / 48 hrs = 83 mph

Could be the carrier wasnt where the news reported it to be, at the beginning of the trip. Or, off the east coast covers a whole lot of the N. Atlantic.

83 mph sounds way to fast, but 60 mph wouldnt surprise me.

Just my .02

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I can't begin to tell you whilst on NIMITZ, America, Saratoga and JFK, we were called to raise steam and proceed to somewhere. One time we were in port St Thomas for chrissake when a "fishing" boat of ours lost power and was drifting into Cuban waters (circa 1985). A lot of us were on the beach [bleep] when we saw NIMITZ go by with a rooster tail. I [bleep] not. Sameshit different day after Lebanon blew up and we were off Livorno. The three fossil burners couldn't come close. 37 kts is realistic....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
MadMooner: I was on routine patrol in my Seattle Police Harbor Patrol craft back in 1990-something off of Magnolia Bluff when through my binoculars I see a United States nuclear powered aircraft carrier "steaming" N/B out of Bremerton Harbor!
I think out loud to myself and my partner lets go west and get a photo of it.
Unbeknownst to us that aircraft carrier had been called out to sea from maintenance due to some long forgotten arab/muslim dust-up.
I start directly W/B to "intercept" the carrier as it headed N/B in Puget Sound - and then to standby once in position to photograph it.
That carrier passed us so fast we never got close to it!
And with very little wake I might add.
Our twin engined (twin Caterpillar 3208's!) craft swung huge props and could muster 40 knots top speed!
Once the carrier beat my intercepting angle of attack I tried to pace it on a parallel course from behind.
I am guesstimating here but myself and my partner thought that carrier was doing AT LEAST 55 knots (60 M.P.H. approximately!)!
I have NO idea if that carrier was at full throttle or not?
Our pictures were taken at a distance of 1.5 miles or so as the carrier passed us.
MadMooner you ask a good question, that I can not answer, but this I know for a fact, whatever their top speed is it IS impressive for such a huge craft.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
[quote=Greyghost]Doubt it is much over 35 to 37 knots, but their is a formula that supposedly gives a fair estimate of maximum hull speed which I believe is 1.34 x the sq of water line distance between the bow and stern waves at speed. Or a close estimate just using the length at water line. Just guessing waterline at around 900' which would put close at 40 knots. Even with 4 screws, don't see it reaching much past that even if wanted. Damn sure they're not going to let it our run their support group.

Phil [/quote

I don't know what they have for surface support for a carrier now, but back then there were two threats to carriers. Submarines and missiles/aircraft. the fast attack boats under the carrier were well equipped to deal with anything in/on the water. The aircraft on the carrier could handle anything else.

When the Norks grabbed the Pueblo Enterprise took off and left the three of us to catch up as best we could when we could. the only support they didn't out run was the nukes underneath them. My best guess from being there and having the real numbers to do the calcs was that Enterprise had no trouble managing 50 MPH minimum.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by Scott F

I do know the speed and max depth on some classes of subs and I know why some are so quiet but will die with that info.

Scott,

With your back ground and interest in subs, you might be interested in reading about Operation Barmaid
Its amaazing to think just how quiet our subs are..

I had never heard how that all cam about. Thanks, that was a great read and my hat's off tour your boys for pulling that off.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pete E

I do know the speed and max depth on some classes of subs and I know why some are so quiet but will die with that info.

Scott,

With your back ground and interest in subs, you might be interested in reading about Operation Barmaid
Its amaazing to think just how quiet our subs are..

I had never heard how that all cam about. Thanks, that was a great read and my hat's off tour your boys for pulling that off.

I was reading an account about the history of the Conqueror and that was mentioned.

It seems the Russians "suddenly" fielded a towed array sonar system and both the Americans and Brits wanted to know whether the technology was home grown and or stolen of us..

Both countries had a number of traitors found to be selling sub secrets and I think that turned out to be one of them..

I would be quite happy for the folks caught to be hung, but apparently that's not PC anymore!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I had never heard how that all cam about. Thanks, that was a great read and my hat's off tour your boys for pulling that off. [/quote]

I was reading an account about the history of the Conqueror and that was mentioned.

It seems the Russians "suddenly" fielded a towed array sonar system and both the Americans and Brits wanted to know whether the technology was home grown and or stolen of us..

Both countries had a number of traitors found to be selling sub secrets and I think that turned out to be one of them..

I would be quite happy for the folks caught to be hung, but apparently that's not PC anymore! [/quote]

That is the reason there will never be a Panasonic product in my home or business.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Re: subs

In the late 90's friends and I got on a salmon party boat, out of Berkeley, CA, and rode it through the Golden Gate. We fished off Pacifica and had a fine day with perfect weather and a limit of salmon for the boat.

We were coming back in the afternoon, and maybe a couple miles outside the Golden Gate, when I look back and see a sub surface, about a mile behind us. I yell "Holy [bleep] a sub" and point back so everyone sees the black beast behind us. The party boat is ~50 foot long, one engine, and is making perhaps 10-12 knots. In a couple miles it had closed the distance to maybe a half mile - and people were looking back getting slightly nervous. We continued on into the Gate, and a tug and two Coast Guard boats were there at the bridge, to meet the sub. It slowed at that point and met them. No idea which sub it was, or even type, but even loafing on the surface, it could easily catch us, and I gather they are even faster underwater, than on top.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
MadMooner: I was on routine patrol in my Seattle Police Harbor Patrol craft back in 1990-something off of Magnolia Bluff when through my binoculars I see a United States nuclear powered aircraft carrier "steaming" N/B out of Bremerton Harbor!
I think out loud to myself and my partner lets go west and get a photo of it.
Unbeknownst to us that aircraft carrier had been called out to sea from maintenance due to some long forgotten arab/muslim dust-up.
I start directly W/B to "intercept" the carrier as it headed N/B in Puget Sound - and then to standby once in position to photograph it.
That carrier passed us so fast we never got close to it!
And with very little wake I might add.
Our twin engined (twin Caterpillar 3208's!) craft swung huge props and could muster 40 knots top speed!
Once the carrier beat my intercepting angle of attack I tried to pace it on a parallel course from behind.
I am guesstimating here but myself and my partner thought that carrier was doing AT LEAST 55 knots (60 M.P.H. approximately!)!
I have NO idea if that carrier was at full throttle or not?
Our pictures were taken at a distance of 1.5 miles or so as the carrier passed us.
MadMooner you ask a good question, that I can not answer, but this I know for a fact, whatever their top speed is it IS impressive for such a huge craft.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
no one cares what a seahawks fan has to say.....

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to know this fellow that was on subs from the 60's through the 90's. He hinted that there was some sort of lubricating system that would exude a substance that would dramatically enhance a sub's ability to slip through the water on an emergency basis. I wonder if y'all had heard of it, and if it had ever been used on a surface vessel.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Air

Phil

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
this thread is crossing from the sublime to the ridiculous, FAST. 55kts???

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
.......and I gather they are even faster underwater, than on top.
And you'd "gather" correctly.. smile

When on top the screw catches air and can't get a full bite.. Submerged - that's a whole different story..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Damn! How long of a rope would you need to ski behind that bytch?? grin

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI
No way Midway could anywhere near 35, much less thirty, especially with the stabilizing bulges added in her senior years.
I have it on good authority from various MMs and BTs with whom I'd served who'd steamed the Midway and Coral Sea who stated 32 knots was possible on both of those boats, but the boilers were nearly out of air and smoking black. (I suppose the same was also possible aboard the FDR, but I was a west coast sailor.)

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
32 is certainly reasonable. Problem was, they installed these huge bulges on Midway in her later years and the parasitic drag was significant.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I asked a retired chief how fast his aircraft carrier went. He replied that he couldn't tell me, but fast enough to get a ticket just about anywhere.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Don't know if its been mentioned here, but 30 or so years ago, a US nuclear carrier was being shadowed by a Soviet Alfa class sub. The US skipper decided to show the Alfa some "tricks" and opened up his speed; the Alfa kept up, so he increased his speed; again the Alfa kept up; again the US carrier increased speed to a "very high level" (according to reports). The Alfa then just opened up his throttle and left the carrier in his wake, causing much consternation in US Navy circles. I heard this from a neighbor when I was living in Virginia Beach (he was a nuclear carrier skipper).

Here's a story on the Alfa class Soviet sub:

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/russias-alfa-class-was-the-terrifying-hot-rod-sub-of-th-1637540064

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
702 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 78 invisible), 2,776 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.