-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Has anyone here played this game? If so what rifle are you shooting? Up until recently it appears Rock Ridge was about the only game in town for a repro 03a4. They made the rifles for Creemoor and Gibbs. Now James River Armory is making repros too. I don't see much negative on the web about either rifle. I do have a JRA 03a3 that I like, but can get a lightly used Rock Ridge (Creedmoor) for about $300 less.

I am curious because I would like to attend one of the CMP games in the next year or two. If I'm traveling that far, I would like to shoot in as many of the matches as possible. GSM, V. Sniper, Rimfire and their service rifle EIC ...

Any insight? Thanks

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Does anyone know of a BB where this topic might be better asked??

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd probably start here in the Vintage Sniper Rifles forum at snipershide:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=541&f=5516

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by avagadro
Does anyone know of a BB where this topic might be better asked??

I'd try here:

http://forums.thecmp.org/

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, I'm mildly interested in this too. I recently re-barreled a put-together 1903A1 with a new Criterion barrel, and oh my god does it shoot. I'm thinking the pair of proper Unertl bases ( an "O" and an ""E") I've been saving in my treasure chest may have found a new home, along with the Unertl 8x I've been swapping around onto various rifles for a while. (No, it's not a USMC...) The perfect venue for an old fart who thinks the match rifle scene began and ended with the '03 Springfield... whistle smile

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been shooting the CMP matches for years, and they are my favorite, but I never could get interested in their scoped matches.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I went to the CMP AMC week before last, the CMP Custom Shop will build you a 1903 or 1903A4 replica. Final price depends on "wants" and the level of work needed.

The shop had a low opinion of the James River Armory, specific comment was that the receivers were coming from reclaimed drill rifles. They won't work on them without a bill of sale copy from JRA.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
My receiver actually started out as a nickel steel NM rifle, but was re-stocked somewhere along the way (with a beautiful quarter-sawn Keystone stock). The barrel was completely roached hence the new Criterion barrel.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a C-stock on my 03A3 and I'm kind of thinking about converting to an A4 configuration for fun especially after looking at the CMP's custom shop menu. Which scope are most running?

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The guys in the CMP Custom Shop did not have a lot to say good or bad about the CMP 2.5 power, just that more power was better. They did have one mounted and out for handling in the shop, it seemed OK for the glassing around the corners of the shop. My impression from listening, they were not really a fan of the 2.5 scope for match use, and leaned towards a higher power for a match gun.

http://estore.thecmp.org/store/cata...mp;note3=&note4=&note5=&max=

This is a lift from the first CMP Sniper Match rule book for vintage "legal" sniper match scopes, don't know if it has changed:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BobS1/media/Springfield%2003s/VintageSniperRulesTable1.jpg.html

Last edited by AH64guy; 06/26/15.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Darn, that's too bad, Apache. I have a Preduzece 44 M98 Yugly Gun that has a five-dollar barrel on it, a homemade scout mount and a handgun scope bolted to it. It shoots a hair over an inch at 100 and I'd sure love to try that or one of my more-accurate Commie guns in an Enemy At the Gates match.....

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AH64guy
The guys in the CMP Custom Shop did not have a lot to say good or bad about the CMP 2.5 power, just that more power was better. They did have one mounted and out for handling in the shop, it seemed OK for the glassing around the corners of the shop. My impression from listening, they were not really a fan of the 2.5 scope for match use, and leaned towards a higher power for a match gun.

http://estore.thecmp.org/store/cata...mp;note3=&note4=&note5=&max=

This is a lift from the first CMP Sniper Match rule book for vintage "legal" sniper match scopes, don't know if it has changed:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BobS1/media/Springfield%2003s/VintageSniperRulesTable1.jpg.html

AH64guy,

Thanks for posting that info.

We ([color:#3366FF]South Texas Marksmanship Training Center[/color]), a CMP-affiliated 501(c)(3) organization, will host a Vintage Military Bolt Action Rifle Match in November, and one of three categories is Sniper. The sniper category includes original/reproduction-to-original-specification, or after-market sniper rifles. After-market must be non-destructive scope installation, i.e., not drilled and tapped; for example, the B-Square mount. This is our first event of this kind, so should be interesting. I will probably shoot either my Creedmoor/Gibbs 03A4 or my scout-scoped Mauser K98k.

[Linked Image]

We also host NRA Smallbore (50 and 100 yards), NRA Service Rifle, and CMP J.C. Garand matches, those last two are both at 200 yards, with appropriately reduced NRA targets.
A ten-frame raise-and-lower target bunker and berm is now under construction for future 500-yard events.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

612 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 69 invisible), 2,065 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,277
Posts18,448,449
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.