Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I just won a Traditions Vortek Strikerfire in a raffle. Does anyone have any feedback on the quality of the gun? I have hunted with a TC Omega for the last 10 years. Should I stick with it or keep the Vortek? I appreciate your comments.

The slothful man roasteth not that which he took in hunting: but the substance of a diligent man is precious.
BP-B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Its a great gun. The 2 stage trigger takes some getting used to but once you do, its a very accurate set up. Love the hollowed out stock as well. We load up speed loaders and just drop them in and they are always with the rifle when you need to reload. Shoot it and see how you like it before getting rid of your other rifle. If you won it, it didn't cost you a whole lot.

My brother in law used a Strikerfire for this hunt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWjhVFtbbX8

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
IMO, the Omega is a MUCH better rifle across the board.
Traditions are ok, but certainly on the lower end of ML's. They are a cheaper spanish import, known to have horrible customer service. They seem to shoot ok though, as most modern guns do. The Omega is known to be one of the better ML's TC ever built. They do not make them any more, so keep that in mind.

Price was right though..I would keep both and shoot em and enjoy!

S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the input, guys. I will hang on to both. At least for a little while.

The slothful man roasteth not that which he took in hunting: but the substance of a diligent man is precious.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The Omega is much better in quality. I recommend T/C, Knight, Lyman, Pedersoli, higher-end CVAs.....etc... but not the aluminum alloy Traditions inlines. Plus the service and parts department may fight you for warranty repairs. They sure fought a nunber of us various/numerous ML messageboards members when we called with issues. They go rock-solid by-the-book, where T/C offers to fix more than just the cited repair.

One time I sent-in my T/C and they fixed three parts of my ML, when I only complained about one part. Just try that with Traditions...... good luck and then-some.

Last edited by Triple_Se7en; 07/03/15.
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
T/C must have had a run of tight barrels. I have shot three Omegas and they were all extremely difficult to load. A young lady that I introduced to hunting cannot load her own rifle, and she is a strong farm girl. The only Vortek Strikerfire that I have shot was extremely accurate. I would not hesitate to buy one if I were in the market for a new rifle.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Traditions quality has really jumped over the past few years, especially on the Strikerfire.

Once nice thing about the Strikerfire is that its actually fairly easy to take apart once you read the instructions and you can actually clean out the trigger group.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

They also dropped the QLA on the Strikerfire which gives you more barrel to use. Surprisingly, it still loads easy without that crap.
[Linked Image]

I use a metric o ring inside the breech plugs primer pocket to take up any loose "head space" and it keeps the action 100% sealed and clean.
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm53/thepowerbeltforum/Vortek/DSCN3831.jpg[/img]

Results are awesome as well in the field. My brother in law drew a NM tag again so hopefully he can match it or better it this year. Sadly we drew separate units in NM so I'll be leading a new muzzy hunter in my unit this year.
[img]http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums...Firearms/DSCN1019640x480_zpsd7d95388.jpg[/img]

S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
What about pellets? I normally use 3 777 pellets. The Traditions says to only use 2 pellets. Is that just to cover their butts legally, or is there an issue? I like having the extra power to reach out to 250 yds.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Page 47 states to never use more than 150 grains of powder.

The 2 pellet loads were just suggestion loads to get you going. I am not a pellet as I prefer to be able to fine tune my loads and pellets dont allow that.

I highly suggest you order a bag before attempting to shoot the strikerfire. The headspace is pretty loose and the primer, under firing conditions over time can cause damage to the frame. Drop this lil guy into the primer pocket and it damn near lasts 70 shots in our striker fire being needing replaced.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#9262k611/=xwemf9

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Seriously! Unless that Omega is over 50% worn-out, sell the Traditions instead. The quaity difference is noticeable. The service department is better. Resale value down-the-road is better with the Omega.

One is considered like a Para Ordnance or police-issue Glock. The other like a KelTec or Taurus.

On 2nd thought, do what you want. I really don't care anymore.

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by bigblock455
Page 47 states to never use more than 150 grains of powder.

The 2 pellet loads were just suggestion loads to get you going. I am not a pellet as I prefer to be able to fine tune my loads and pellets dont allow that.

I highly suggest you order a bag before attempting to shoot the strikerfire. The headspace is pretty loose and the primer, under firing conditions over time can cause damage to the frame. Drop this lil guy into the primer pocket and it damn near lasts 70 shots in our striker fire being needing replaced.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#9262k611/=xwemf9

On page 47 you say. I must be missing it.
https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/data/product_owner_manuals/Vortek%20StrikerFire%20Manual%207-13%20%28Final%29_1406057734.pdf

It clearly states on page 49
Pellets are sometimes offered in different charge sizes so be sure to use the appropriate number of pellets to obtain your desired charge. Consult the pellet manufacturer’s recommendations if you have any doubts about how many pellets to use

Well IMR/Hodgdon only recommends and lists load data for 2 pellets. Feel free to call them, i have.

The manual also says
WARNING: NEVER EXCEED THE RECOMMENDED MAXIMUM
BLACK POWDER OR BLACK POWDER SUBSTITUTE CHARGE
LISTED IN THIS BOOK OR BY THE POWDER MANUFACTURER.

Well, i must be missing the 150gr loads listed on page 51-52 in this manual or listed by Hodgdon for loose powder too.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
lookin right here in my manual. Dont know why folks that dont own the gun always gotta start crap like they know better laugh

Page 47 Chapter 17: Information on black powder & black powder substitutes. Its all in red. Starting with Warning...

120gr Volume Blackhorn209 Max load.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
How is giving the direct link to the most current Strikefire manual crap? I posted direct quotes from the manual.

Its not my fault their own info is conflicting. You cant say 150gr is ok but then say refer to the powder manufacturer. Maybe it does not say its ok, Its a warning to never go over even if the powder manufacturer were to approve. They list no bullet weight for a 150gr load either....Well gee Gomer,,,lets load her up with a 400gr conical and have at it.

The fact remains, Hodgdon does NOT approve of any load over 100gr of loose except in a 54cal. Nor do they approve of a 3 pellet load EVER. The manual clearly states to go by the powder manufacturers max load data.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Really? Then why does Hodgdon make Triple 7 magnum pellets? 120gr T7 pellet = 150gr of their regular pellets.

Its strictly a " Save our ass" kind of deal for Hodgdon. They'll make 150gr pellets but resort to " Hey, we don't want nuttin to do with it if it blows up, we only recommend 100gr of pellets". Hell, you know that jack.

Tradition has a max load of 120gr volume for BH209 and thats a hell of a powder charge.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
120gr of Blackhorn makes far less peak pressure than 3 pellets. Call Western powders if you have any doubt. There is also a BH209 pressure trace on Dougs forum. Its below 28kpsi with a 300gr bullet in 45. A 50 with a 300gr and sabot is almost certainly less.

2 Mag pellets does not equal 3 regular pellets. Please show me the pressure trace with fps data to prove otherwise.

At least Tradition is not as dumb as CVA. CVA will void your warranty if you tell them you are using 3FG in a 50cal and you need warranty work. Thats retarded since they allow a 3 pellet load which makes more peak pressure.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
well we are not talking cva now are we.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
FYI, I decided to keep the Traditions and scuttle the Omega. Time will tell if I made the right decision. Thanks for the input, guys.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
365 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 36 invisible), 2,292 guests, and 960 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,884
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.