Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
From reading through the thread, it appears there was also a "Ranger" on hand?

Presumably a regular employee with experience in the area?

Some questions are, did that nine inches of rain in two hours fall down upon THEM? If not did they have any way of suspecting rains of that magnitude were occurring?.

Nine inches of rain in two hours is a LOT, I'm not sure I myself have ever witnessed that much in that short a period of time, and I've been in East and Central Texas thirty years.

Birdwatcher

Presumably a regular employee with experience in the area?

Like Mark just said, you'd have to know the place.

The fact that the common (American) term FLASH FLOOD is in play would indicate that the actual rainfall took place up slope.

"Presume" away,....I'm outta' here, and apologies again for disrupting what should have a certain degree of patient and appropriate reverence / solemnity.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"Presume" away,....I'm outta' here, and apologies again for disrupting what should have a certain degree of patient and appropriate reverence / solemnity.

Greg, my point was that if even an experienced local was on hand and the campsite was deemed safe, this tragic flood musta truly been a freak occurrence.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It's been 24 years since the last of my 3 trips to Philmont but I believe the Ponil Canyon area is used as starting camps. A Ranger is with each crew for 3 days. Rangers are summer staff members but are experienced Scouts and have usually worked at Philmont in some other capacity. Plus they get training.

The area gets a lot of use each day, campsites are pretty much established. So there has probably been thousands of people in that campsite over the years without incident.

Freak storm, freak accident. No way to prepare.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Very sorry to hear of the loss of one so young. May God bless and keep his friends and family.

Well said.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I am very sorry to hear of the young Scout's tragic death. It sounds like such a freak accident and given that the violent thunderstorm occurred miles away in the mountains in the middle of the night, no one is to blame.

I attended Philmont in 1950, along with my older brother. Believe me, things were much more primitive there then, than today. I do remember that with distant mountains, a rain storm there might never have been known to us.... until the small creeks suddenly rose dangerously.

My condolences to the Scout's family.

L.W. (Eagle Scout, 1952.)

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B2

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If no one noticed it in the article.... the flash flood came thru camp at 4:30 AM.....

They were 20 feet or so above the normal stream bed, but the flash flood supposedly was 23 feet above the stream beds normal flow....

Just like those of us that were at Ed's East Texas Campfire Get2Gether, on Friday night, we got hit instantly by a tornado literally right above us, and it set down on the ground about 250 yds or so from where we all were outside by Ed's House...

I myself had a near miss of a tree trunk falling on me, by inches... if I would have been on step to my right, It would have taken me out, and probably killed me instantly...that was a sobering experience, let me tell ya...

I am sure there boys were huddled in their tents and trying to get some sleep with all the rain, with NO CLUE that a flash flood could happen... I am sure even the camp staff with them had no clue.... first thing they knew it was on them...

that was what happened to us at Ed's Place...wham, it was there, in all its fury...

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by eyeball
So Gregg, you disagree with my assertion that grown scout leaders and instructors should be held responsible if they were aware of nearby rainstorms and left kids to sleep by a creek or in the bottom of a canyon?

I'm sure if it it had been your son you'd be satisfied with saying, "Well, chitt happens".

Don't put words in my mouth, Mister.

You can barely formulate coherent or intelligent words of your own.

...and lets PARK the vituperation and show a little respect for the solemn nature of this particular thread, shall we ?

Apologies to all and sundry to all for my losing it with this mouthy jackwagon.

GT

GTC

I submit that you attacked me with vituperation initially, because your reduced IQ percieved from my post i did not properly express my sorrow and condolences over the situation.

Well mister, stick your vituperation where the sun dont shine and forget having the idea your IQ can guess the amount of sorrow in my mind.

Last edited by eyeball; 07/02/15.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm sorry eyeball, but hunting the next door ranch isn't the same as being there. Having been raised in the area, and hunting the ES Barker area, some of them canyons are so deep you can barely see the top of one close ridge, much less several miles away.
It is a tragedy to lose someone so young to a freak accident like this. Maybe you should keep opinions to a minimum when you have no idea of the exact circumstances or events. Try being more compassionate and less judgemental. I hate to disagree with you, but in this area the storms can move very fast and be very violent. And spending a hunting season or two does not really define a worthwhile knowledge of the area.

I lost my nephew almost 3 years ago in a car accident. It's easy to blame and question when someone is lost. As close as we were, there's not a day that goes by that I don't think of him and the times that I shared while either coaching him on the fields, or just spending time with him fishing.

Prayers go out to everyone involved and hurting now and forever more.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by eyeball
So Gregg, you disagree with my assertion that grown scout leaders and instructors should be held responsible if they were aware of nearby rainstorms and left kids to sleep by a creek or in the bottom of a canyon?

I'm sure if it it had been your son you'd be satisfied with saying, "Well, chitt happens".

I know a bit about that country, and both of my sons have worked multiple summers at Philmont. The reality is that in a canyon like Ponil, the weather that causes the flood need not be anywhere nearby, but can be ten miles or more from the flood site, totally invisible from inside the canyon. From what I know about this incident, the boys were camped in an established campsite, some 20 feet or more above the level of the canyon floor. That site had always been safe before. Professional staff out there take great care to put campsites in safe locations, keeping in mind the environmental conditions and the lack of familiarity of the visiting scouts and leaders from across the country.

It's awfully easy for someone who wasn't there to sit back and do the Monday morning quarterbacking on something like this. You can scream for accountability and the pound of flesh all you want to, but none of that will bring back that young man. It truly was a fluke of nature.

We all feel terribly for family and the troop or crew.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well mister, stick your vituperation where the sun dont shine and forget having the idea your IQ can guess the amount of sorrow schitt in my mind.

fixed,.... you fellows ignore this creep's disrespectful, and interminable ranting.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 07/10/15.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bearbacker
..... From what I know about this incident, the boys were camped in an established campsite, some 20 feet or more above the level of the canyon floor. That site had always been safe before. Professional staff out there take great care to put campsites in safe locations, keeping in mind the environmental conditions and the lack of familiarity of the visiting scouts and leaders from across the country.

..... It truly was a fluke of nature.

I know people who stayed at that campsite and said the same thing. It had been an active site for years & years.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Why do some people always want to assign blame for an unfortunate accident that they have no facts about?

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 67 invisible), 2,909 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,706
Posts18,456,843
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.